Thread: Failed: Robber in gunstore shot 23 times.

Failed: Robber in gunstore shot 23 times.

This story probably is already on OCDO somewhere, but I couldn't resist posting it. The story was taken from the 2010 Darwin awards. And, yes, there where 2 folks in 2010 with worse ideas than this guy.

3rd Place

After walking around a marked police patrol car parked at the front door, a man walked into H&J Leather & Firearms intent on robbing the store. The shop was full of customers and a uniformed officer was standing at the counter.. Upon seeing the officer, the would-be robber announced a hold-up and fired a few wild shots from a target pistol. The officer and a clerk promptly returned fire and several customers also drew their guns and fired. The robber was pronounced dead at the scene by Paramedics. Crime scene investigators located 47 expended cartridge cases in the shop. The subsequent autopsy revealed 23 gunshot wounds. Ballistics identified rounds From 7 different weapons. No one else was hurt.

Best laugh of the day so far.....eyes are still a bit watery! Either the man was suicidal or mentally deprived. 23 bullets from 7 different shooters!
    If guns cause crime.....mine must be defective.

Do you have a link to the article?

The story in the OP sounds like a half-truth. Still amusing, but not completely accurate. Here's what snopes.com has to say about it:

http://www.snopes.com/crime/dumdum/gunshop.asp

Quote Originally Posted by Slidell Jim View Post
    This story probably is already on OCDO somewhere, but I couldn't resist posting it. The story was taken from the 2010 Darwin awards. And, yes, there where 2 folks in 2010 with worse ideas than this guy.

3rd Place

After walking around a marked police patrol car parked at the front door, a man walked into H&J Leather & Firearms intent on robbing the store. The shop was full of customers and a uniformed officer was standing at the counter.. Upon seeing the officer, the would-be robber announced a hold-up and fired a few wild shots from a target pistol. The officer and a clerk promptly returned fire and several customers also drew their guns and fired. The robber was pronounced dead at the scene by Paramedics. Crime scene investigators located 47 expended cartridge cases in the shop. The subsequent autopsy revealed 23 gunshot wounds. Ballistics identified rounds From 7 different weapons. No one else was hurt.
    Awesome. I literally LOLd.
    Quote Originally Posted by cbpeck View Post
    The story in the OP sounds like a half-truth. Still amusing, but not completely accurate. Here's what snopes.com has to say about it:

http://www.snopes.com/crime/dumdum/gunshop.asp
    Quit ruining our fun.

The truth actually sounds better than the embellished version posted.
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"
    -- George Washington

Anybody else notice that the snopes.com account states that Zaback (the robber) had a ".38-caliber semiautomatic pistol?" I'm guessing they meant a .38 caliber revolver.

maybe it was an old 38 super
    If guns cause crime.....mine must be defective.

Banned
    Might've been a .380. Since mathematically .38 = .380, an ignorant reporter might've dropped the zero.

Yeah, this story pops up now and then on OCDO, but is well worth retelling each time. Personally, I wish the BG had been shot 23 times. It just seems so much more just than a mere four GSW.

If only he had used his stupidity for good instead of evil.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    You notice there is never a link/citation when this story is told. Hmmmm.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by cbpeck View Post
    Anybody else notice that the snopes.com account states that Zaback (the robber) had a ".38-caliber semiautomatic pistol?" I'm guessing they meant a .38 caliber revolver.
    There are .38 automatics, there just aren't that many anymore. Like someone said, it could be an old .38 Super, or a .380 - but there are others. I've been reading a lot of Raymond Chandler novels lately, and that was one thing that threw me off when I first came across it.

I stand corrected... .38 Super completely skipped my mind. They're actually gaining in popularity up in this part of Eastern Washington. A lot of migratory Hispanics search them out because the caliber is reportedly legal in Mexico.

Thumbs down These people need more range time!

47 casings found, 23 bullet wounds from 7 different shooters. this givs a mathamatical rating of less than 50% that means for every two taps, one hit the perp and one went...west?

Folks, until we get a 45-47 hits for 47 casings..we need to do better.

I wonder if that includes the spent casings in revolvers?
    I sell ObamaBlades: Single-edged razors you can use to either remove the bumper sticker off your car, or slash your wrists..whichever works best for you.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vt800c View Post
    47 casings found, 23 bullet wounds from 7 different shooters. this givs a mathamatical rating of less than 50% that means for every two taps, one hit the perp and one went...west?

Folks, until we get a 45-47 hits for 47 casings..we need to do better.

I wonder if that includes the spent casings in revolvers?
    The story is fraught with inaccuracies -there were only three shooters - BG, the clerk and a LEO. The BG was hit 4 times and the round shell casing count is unreliable.
    http://urbanlegends.about.com/librar...p_shootout.htm
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

I believe that a Model 52 Smith & Wesson actually fires .38 specials, not .38 auto, but they haven't been made in over 40 years.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Politicians should serve two terms, one in office and one in prison.(borrowed from RioKid)