• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Failed: Robber in gunstore shot 23 times.

Slidell Jim

This story probably is already on OCDO somewhere, but I couldn't resist posting it. The story was taken from the 2010 Darwin awards. And, yes, there where 2 folks in 2010 with worse ideas than this guy.

3rd Place

After walking around a marked police patrol car parked at the front door, a man walked into H&J Leather & Firearms intent on robbing the store. The shop was full of customers and a uniformed officer was standing at the counter.. Upon seeing the officer, the would-be robber announced a hold-up and fired a few wild shots from a target pistol. The officer and a clerk promptly returned fire and several customers also drew their guns and fired. The robber was pronounced dead at the scene by Paramedics. Crime scene investigators located 47 expended cartridge cases in the shop. The subsequent autopsy revealed 23 gunshot wounds. Ballistics identified rounds From 7 different weapons. No one else was hurt.

Coded-Dude

Best laugh of the day so far.....eyes are still a bit watery! Either the man was suicidal or mentally deprived. 23 bullets from 7 different shooters!

sultan62

This story probably is already on OCDO somewhere, but I couldn't resist posting it. The story was taken from the 2010 Darwin awards. And, yes, there where 2 folks in 2010 with worse ideas than this guy.

3rd Place

After walking around a marked police patrol car parked at the front door, a man walked into H&J Leather & Firearms intent on robbing the store. The shop was full of customers and a uniformed officer was standing at the counter.. Upon seeing the officer, the would-be robber announced a hold-up and fired a few wild shots from a target pistol. The officer and a clerk promptly returned fire and several customers also drew their guns and fired. The robber was pronounced dead at the scene by Paramedics. Crime scene investigators located 47 expended cartridge cases in the shop. The subsequent autopsy revealed 23 gunshot wounds. Ballistics identified rounds From 7 different weapons. No one else was hurt.

Awesome. I literally LOLd.
The story in the OP sounds like a half-truth. Still amusing, but not completely accurate. Here's what snopes.com has to say about it:

http://www.snopes.com/crime/dumdum/gunshop.asp

Quit ruining our fun. :lol:

cbpeck

Anybody else notice that the snopes.com account states that Zaback (the robber) had a ".38-caliber semiautomatic pistol?" I'm guessing they meant a .38 caliber revolver.

eye95

Might've been a .380. Since mathematically .38 = .380, an ignorant reporter might've dropped the zero.

Yeah, this story pops up now and then on OCDO, but is well worth retelling each time. Personally, I wish the BG had been shot 23 times. It just seems so much more just than a mere four GSW.

If only he had used his stupidity for good instead of evil.

Last Knight

Anybody else notice that the snopes.com account states that Zaback (the robber) had a ".38-caliber semiautomatic pistol?" I'm guessing they meant a .38 caliber revolver.

There are .38 automatics, there just aren't that many anymore. :) Like someone said, it could be an old .38 Super, or a .380 - but there are others. I've been reading a lot of Raymond Chandler novels lately, and that was one thing that threw me off when I first came across it.

cbpeck

I stand corrected... .38 Super completely skipped my mind. They're actually gaining in popularity up in this part of Eastern Washington. A lot of migratory Hispanics search them out because the caliber is reportedly legal in Mexico.

vt800c

These people need more range time!

47 casings found, 23 bullet wounds from 7 different shooters. this givs a mathamatical rating of less than 50% that means for every two taps, one hit the perp and one went...west?

Folks, until we get a 45-47 hits for 47 casings..we need to do better.

I wonder if that includes the spent casings in revolvers?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
47 casings found, 23 bullet wounds from 7 different shooters. this givs a mathamatical rating of less than 50% that means for every two taps, one hit the perp and one went...west?

Folks, until we get a 45-47 hits for 47 casings..we need to do better.

I wonder if that includes the spent casings in revolvers?

The story is fraught with inaccuracies -there were only three shooters - BG, the clerk and a LEO. The BG was hit 4 times and the round shell casing count is unreliable.
http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl_gun_shop_shootout.htm

OldCurlyWolf

I believe that a Model 52 Smith & Wesson actually fires .38 specials, not .38 auto, but they haven't been made in over 40 years.