Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Terrified Homeowner

Terrified Homeowner

If you have time dial 911, when you have only seconds dial 9mm. Another story that proves we can't wait for the police. I'm glad it ended well , except for the flat screen.
    http://www.kirotv.com/news/25638620/detail.html
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

Hope they lock 'em up and throw away the key.

10 minutes?

The ordeal lasted less than ten minutes but Snyder said it felt like a lifetime.
    Life can change so much in less...

If only she had a firearm, then that poor television would still be alive. T_T

But seriously, I'm glad that she was alright. It's just too bad that it took 10 minutes for the police to arrive. It sounds like that was all it took for them to finish up and the police just barely got there when they were finishing up.
    "though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Psalms 23:4

"Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power." Benjamin Franklin

“It’s always open season on criminals in Mason County, and there’s no bag limit.” Sen. Tim Sheldon (D)

Molōn labe!

Glad she is okay. Just another example of needing to protect oneself at home. She would have been up the creek if he had opened the closet door. I seriously hope this lady will get herself a gun and learn to use it.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world; it's the only thing that ever does.- Margaret Mead

Those who will not fight for justice today will fight for their lives in the future,

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. Benjamin Franklin

911: “Can you lock yourself in a room?”

Yeah, lotta good that's gonna do. They already forced open one door, another's gonna stop them?

That lady is just lucky they came for her stuff & not for her.

And I've got a box of ammo that says she still wouldn't even consider keeping a gun in the home.
    It is very wise to not take a watermelon lightly.

I am staying with a friend and he asks that I unload my sidearm at night and don't walk around the house with it holstered. It is his house, so I respect it. I have other forms of self-defense though that are a bit messier than a gun, but they will do if SHTF ever.

BTW, that story made me cry, the thought of being in that position is terrible. If her husband was a decent man, and if she could muster up the courage to do it, they should go buy a sidearm for the house and she should train with it on a regular basis.

I get so scared that my significant other or my children would be in a situation like that (My spouse carried too).
    Last edited by Beretta92FSLady; 11-05-2010 at 05:55 PM.
    I don't mind watching the OC-Community (tea party 2.0's, who have hijacked the OC-Community) cannibalize itself. I do mind watching OC dragged through the gutter. OC is an exercise of A Right. I choose to not OC; I choose to not own firearms. I choose to leave the OC-Community to it's own self-inflicted injuries, and eventual implosion. Carry on...

Quote Originally Posted by Metalhead47 View Post
    911: “Can you lock yourself in a room?”

Yeah, lotta good that's gonna do. They already forced open one door, another's gonna stop them?

That lady is just lucky they came for her stuff & not for her.

And I've got a box of ammo that says she still wouldn't even consider keeping a gun in the home.
    Didn't you know? That is what we are all supposed to do, just cower in fear whenever something happens. But don't worry though our "mommy" and "daddy" (read as the govmet) will make sure everything works out in the end...
    "And shepherds we shall be, for Thee, my Lord, for Thee.
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
    E nomine Patri, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti."

"If the rest of the world says: 'War,' I can only say: 'Very well. I do not want war, but no one, however peaceable, can live in peace if his neighbor intends to force a quarrel.'" - Adolf Hitler...

Quote Originally Posted by devildoc5 View Post
    Didn't you know? That is what we are all supposed to do, just cower in fear whenever something happens. But don't worry though our "mommy" and "daddy" (read as the govmet) will make sure everything works out in the end...

From what I have read from various sources, you should lock yourself in a "safe room", but still be armed. I don't currently have a lock on my bedroom door, but it's on the short to do list. My dog will give me advance warning if someone breaks in. My .45 is on my nightstand. I will NOT go towards a threat. I will tell them to get the hell out, that I am armed and will shoot. But I depend on my gun, not a lock on a door, that will only slow them down if they are determined. I would also call 911 if there is time and leave the line open so they can hear what's going on.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world; it's the only thing that ever does.- Margaret Mead

Those who will not fight for justice today will fight for their lives in the future,

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby View Post
    From what I have read from various sources, you should lock yourself in a "safe room", but still be armed. I don't currently have a lock on my bedroom door, but it's on the short to do list. My dog will give me advance warning if someone breaks in. My .45 is on my nightstand. I will NOT go towards a threat. I will tell them to get the hell out, that I am armed and will shoot. But I depend on my gun, not a lock on a door, that will only slow them down if they are determined. I would also call 911 if there is time and leave the line open so they can hear what's going on.
    Ruby I was not advocating advancing (although the USMC has proven that this can be an EXTREMELY effective technique/tactic to use) I was more responding to the "hide somewhere and hope the cops get there in time" mentality. I PERSONALLY would make sure that ANYONE who came into my house unauthorized was getting at least one shot before they could do anything to me. Again to each their own though.

Just dont be one of those ones cowering defenseless and expect the cops to be there in enough time is all I ask...
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command.

"If the rest of the world says: 'War,' I can only say: 'Very well. I do not want war, but no one, however peaceable, can live in peace if his neighbor intends to force a quarrel.'" - Adolf Hitler...

Anyone who is in my home will be leaving.....either in handcuffs or in a bag.
    Live Free or Die!

Quote Originally Posted by gogodawgs View Post
    Anyone who is in my home will be leaving.....either in handcuffs or in a bag.
    +1

So, what is a "safe room" ? by definition, it has been designed to withstand intrusion from the outside....think steel door, reinforced frame, deadbolt, landline, exterior wall exposures with additional covering like the cement board for bathrooms...food, water...well, maybe not that... an typical interior bathroom/closet locking type door is totally inadequate.
    Last edited by jt59; 11-06-2010 at 12:08 AM.
    Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat....Teddy Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by jt59 View Post
    So, what is a "safe room" ? by definition, it has been designed to withstand intrusion from the outside....think steel door, reinforced frame, deadbolt, landline, exterior wall exposures with additional covering like the cement board for bathrooms...food, water...well, maybe not that... an typical interior bathroom/closet locking type door is totally inadequate.
    I don't think it would be taken quite that far, at least not from what I have read. I hope you are being facetious.

Ruby I was not advocating advancing (although the USMC has proven that this can be an EXTREMELY effective technique/tactic to use) I was more responding to the "hide somewhere and hope the cops get there in time" mentality. I PERSONALLY would make sure that ANYONE who came into my house unauthorized was getting at least one shot before they could do anything to me. Again to each their own though.

Just dont be one of those ones cowering defenseless and expect the cops to be there in enough time is all I ask...
    Devildoc, I didn't take it that way at all. I have read (don't remember where) that some people advocate "clearing" your house, ie, hunting down the intruder. What I was saying was I would take a defensive position in a locked room, behind cover and wait for the intruder to come to me, thereby giving him a chance to leave alive. Of course, that's just me, I have no children or spouse to protect. In that case, I probably would have my loved ones in a safe room and would be close by guarding that room. There is no one formula for everyone as each situation is different. I might be fearful, in fact I probably would be, who wouldn't be? Who wants to be in a gun battle in their own home?!? But if someone presents a lethal threat to me, I WILL defend my life and I WILL prevail. I only depend on the police to come and take the report and take the BG away, alive or not.

Devildoc, I didn't take it that way at all. I have read (don't remember where) that some people advocate "clearing" your house, ie, hunting down the intruder. What I was saying was I would take a defensive position in a locked room, behind cover and wait for the intruder to come to me, thereby giving him a chance to leave alive. Of course, that's just me, I have no children or spouse to protect. In that case, I probably would have my loved ones in a safe room and would be close by guarding that room. There is no one formula for everyone as each situation is different. I might be fearful, in fact I probably would be, who wouldn't be? Who wants to be in a gun battle in their own home?!? But if someone presents a lethal threat to me, I WILL defend my life and I WILL prevail. I only depend on the police to come and take the report and take the BG away, alive or not.
    That's exactly why I dont advocate it to anyone necessarily Ruby. I however have practiced and trained in Room Clearing/MOUT tactics and MY opinion is that I am gonna hunt that no good POS down and give him a lesson for trying to mess with MY property (premeditated and everything I know ) But that is not for everyone, everyone must chose their own levels of comfort and response. Just so long as they are not cowering in a corner helplessly waiting the arrival of the police HOPING they make it their in time...
    Last edited by devildoc5; 11-06-2010 at 03:31 AM.

That's exactly why I dont advocate it to anyone necessarily Ruby. I however have practiced and trained in Room Clearing/MOUT tactics and MY opinion is that I am gonna hunt that no good POS down and give him a lesson for trying to mess with MY property (premeditated and everything I know ) But that is not for everyone, everyone must chose their own levels of comfort and response. Just so long as they are not cowering in a corner helplessly waiting the arrival of the police HOPING they make it their in time...
    Thinking on the pro & con of this... waiting, armed, in a "safe room" while some punk or punks make off with all your stuff seems even worse. Being a renter, I can't put a lock on my bedroom door (at least one that's worth anything), but... my house also has a piss-poor layout for room-to-room clearing without exposing my back. Both things I plan to take into consideration when it's time to buy. I also have the awesome advantage of an armed spouse Name:  gun_smilie.gif
Views: 317
Size:  1.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by blackmarine View Post
    I'm glad that this women wasn't found and raped, or murdered. She was extremely lucky. Having said that, why on GODS green earth, would she not have a firearm. The news account of this ordeal stated it lasted 10 minutes, think what could have happened to this women in that amount of time.

What kind of husband would leave his wife at home, alone, with no protection ? No matter what her thoughts are on the subject of having a firearm in the home, as the head of the household (IE, a man) it is his responsibility to protect his wife. Or see to it that she can protect herself.

As I see it, this is another case of, "The Sheeple Grazing Placidly In The Meadow".
    +100

One of my dating criteria is the lady being comfortable with me OCing. Another is being comfortable with going to the range. If it wasn't for being a broke college student I'd have taken a couple ladies from school to the range to study "triggernometry." I'd be an easy grader, honest!

Quote Originally Posted by .45ACPaddy View Post
    +100

One of my dating criteria is the lady being comfortable with me OCing. Another is being comfortable with going to the range. If it wasn't for being a broke college student I'd have taken a couple ladies from school to the range to study "triggernometry." I'd be an easy grader, honest!
    That's probably just cause you are trying to get in the students pants!

Now Devildoc, you know me well enough by now. Can you honestly picture me cowering helplessly while waiting for the police to arrive?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Metalhead47 View Post
    Thinking on the pro & con of this... waiting, armed, in a "safe room" while some punk or punks make off with all your stuff seems even worse. Being a renter, I can't put a lock on my bedroom door (at least one that's worth anything), but... my house also has a piss-poor layout for room-to-room clearing without exposing my back. Both things I plan to take into consideration when it's time to buy. I also have the awesome advantage of an armed spouse Name:  gun_smilie.gif
Views: 317
Size:  1.4 KB

All my stuff is not worth taking a life. I would not be justified in killing someone over "stuff" unless they also presented a threat to me. Between my dog and giving them a warning, I would say they would leave.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    I'm glad that this women wasn't found and raped, or murdered. She was extremely lucky. Having said that, why on GODS green earth, would she not have a firearm. The news account of this ordeal stated it lasted 10 minutes, think what could have happened to this women in that amount of time.

What kind of husband would leave his wife at home, alone, with no protection ? No matter what her thoughts are on the subject of having a firearm in the home, as the head of the household (IE, a man) it is his responsibility to protect his wife. Or see to it that she can protect herself.

As I see it, this is another case of, "The Sheeple Grazing Placidly In The Meadow".
    Plus a lot!

I make sure everyone in my home knows how to use a firearm. From the youngsters to the adults.

This is why the Shotgun is next to her side of the bed and she always knows exactly where to find it when I'm not home. When I am, then there's always a pistol attached to me.

The layout of the apartment isn't too great for room clearing, but I don't think it's the worst.
    "though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Psalms 23:4

"Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power." Benjamin Franklin

“It’s always open season on criminals in Mason County, and there’s no bag limit.” Sen. Tim Sheldon (D)

Molōn labe!

Rifle sits within easy reach of the Mrs., and well out of any possible reach for the child.

When it is sitting where it is at at the moment it has JHP's in the mag currently occupying the well.

I have had the wife strip it, clean it, lube it, and reassemble it. She is familiar with its operation.

The bummer is we don't have anybody at the moment to watch our little one, so I have not had her get any trigger time with it...

...and that concerns me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    Personal responsibility is a facade created by religious people in particular...
    On "Personal Responsibility just after the previous, in the same exact thread.
    Religion uses is as a tool, they did not create it.
    The wheels on the bus go round and round...round and round.

You think that I am ill-equipped...hit me with your best shot Einstein, I am calling you out.

Free will is only slightly a conscious exercise...

All my stuff is not worth taking a life. I would not be justified in killing someone over "stuff" unless they also presented a threat to me. Between my dog and giving them a warning, I would say they would leave.
    As I've said elsewhere, I disagree with that. First & foremost, and from a legal standpoint, if someone is in my home, they are an immediate threat to my life & my family's. I won't have any idea if they're just there to clean out my stuff, or if they'll spray gunfire thru the walls in my direction as they leave just for the hell of it.

Moreover, my stuff represents not just money but time, time I worked hard to earn that stuff that I can never get back, not to mention sentimental value. I have a few things that are, in my mind, priceless. Don't you? My wedding ring for instance. Probably the most precious thing I own. To some thief it's only worth the $20 bucks he could pawn it for. So no, I would not hesitate to kill someone who tried to take it.

Given what would be required of the would-be thief to do so, I'd have pretty good legal protection for that action as well. Now, the law does NOT allow me to shoot someone in the back who's outside my home walking off with my computer, and I will abide by the law as it stands. But I believe I have every ethical justification to do so. People are responsible for their own actions, once a person makes that choice to steal, knowing full well that to do so is WRONG, they accept the potential consequences of getting their motherloving head blown off.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast