• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Terrified Homeowner

xxx.jakk.xxx

If only she had a firearm, then that poor television would still be alive. T_T

But seriously, I'm glad that she was alright. It's just too bad that it took 10 minutes for the police to arrive. It sounds like that was all it took for them to finish up and the police just barely got there when they were finishing up.

Ruby

Glad she is okay. Just another example of needing to protect oneself at home. She would have been up the creek if he had opened the closet door. I seriously hope this lady will get herself a gun and learn to use it.

Metalhead47

:banghead:911: “Can you lock yourself in a room?”:banghead:

Yeah, lotta good that's gonna do. They already forced open one door, another's gonna stop them?

That lady is just lucky they came for her stuff & not for her.

And I've got a box of ammo that says she still wouldn't even consider keeping a gun in the home.

Beretta92FSLady

I am staying with a friend and he asks that I unload my sidearm at night and don't walk around the house with it holstered. It is his house, so I respect it. I have other forms of self-defense though that are a bit messier than a gun, but they will do if SHTF ever.

BTW, that story made me cry, the thought of being in that position is terrible. If her husband was a decent man, and if she could muster up the courage to do it, they should go buy a sidearm for the house and she should train with it on a regular basis.

I get so scared that my significant other or my children would be in a situation like that (My spouse carried too).

Last edited:

devildoc5

:banghead:911: “Can you lock yourself in a room?”:banghead:

Yeah, lotta good that's gonna do. They already forced open one door, another's gonna stop them?

That lady is just lucky they came for her stuff & not for her.

And I've got a box of ammo that says she still wouldn't even consider keeping a gun in the home.

Didn't you know? That is what we are all supposed to do, just cower in fear whenever something happens. But don't worry though our "mommy" and "daddy" (read as the govmet) will make sure everything works out in the end...

Ruby

Didn't you know? That is what we are all supposed to do, just cower in fear whenever something happens. But don't worry though our "mommy" and "daddy" (read as the govmet) will make sure everything works out in the end...

From what I have read from various sources, you should lock yourself in a "safe room", but still be armed. I don't currently have a lock on my bedroom door, but it's on the short to do list. My dog will give me advance warning if someone breaks in. My .45 is on my nightstand. I will NOT go towards a threat. I will tell them to get the hell out, that I am armed and will shoot. But I depend on my gun, not a lock on a door, that will only slow them down if they are determined. I would also call 911 if there is time and leave the line open so they can hear what's going on.

devildoc5

From what I have read from various sources, you should lock yourself in a "safe room", but still be armed. I don't currently have a lock on my bedroom door, but it's on the short to do list. My dog will give me advance warning if someone breaks in. My .45 is on my nightstand. I will NOT go towards a threat. I will tell them to get the hell out, that I am armed and will shoot. But I depend on my gun, not a lock on a door, that will only slow them down if they are determined. I would also call 911 if there is time and leave the line open so they can hear what's going on.

Ruby I was not advocating advancing (although the USMC has proven that this can be an EXTREMELY effective technique/tactic to use) I was more responding to the "hide somewhere and hope the cops get there in time" mentality. I PERSONALLY would make sure that ANYONE who came into my house unauthorized was getting at least one shot before they could do anything to me. Again to each their own though.

Just dont be one of those ones cowering defenseless and expect the cops to be there in enough time is all I ask...

jt59

So, what is a "safe room" ? by definition, it has been designed to withstand intrusion from the outside....think steel door, reinforced frame, deadbolt, landline, exterior wall exposures with additional covering like the cement board for bathrooms...food, water...well, maybe not that... an typical interior bathroom/closet locking type door is totally inadequate.

Last edited:

Ruby

So, what is a "safe room" ? by definition, it has been designed to withstand intrusion from the outside....think steel door, reinforced frame, deadbolt, landline, exterior wall exposures with additional covering like the cement board for bathrooms...food, water...well, maybe not that... an typical interior bathroom/closet locking type door is totally inadequate.

I don't think it would be taken quite that far, at least not from what I have read. I hope you are being facetious.:D

Ruby

Ruby I was not advocating advancing (although the USMC has proven that this can be an EXTREMELY effective technique/tactic to use) I was more responding to the "hide somewhere and hope the cops get there in time" mentality. I PERSONALLY would make sure that ANYONE who came into my house unauthorized was getting at least one shot before they could do anything to me. Again to each their own though.

Just dont be one of those ones cowering defenseless and expect the cops to be there in enough time is all I ask...

Devildoc, I didn't take it that way at all.:lol: I have read (don't remember where) that some people advocate "clearing" your house, ie, hunting down the intruder. What I was saying was I would take a defensive position in a locked room, behind cover and wait for the intruder to come to me, thereby giving him a chance to leave alive. Of course, that's just me, I have no children or spouse to protect. In that case, I probably would have my loved ones in a safe room and would be close by guarding that room. There is no one formula for everyone as each situation is different. I might be fearful, in fact I probably would be, who wouldn't be? Who wants to be in a gun battle in their own home?!? But if someone presents a lethal threat to me, I WILL defend my life and I WILL prevail. I only depend on the police to come and take the report and take the BG away, alive or not.

devildoc5

Devildoc, I didn't take it that way at all.:lol: I have read (don't remember where) that some people advocate "clearing" your house, ie, hunting down the intruder. What I was saying was I would take a defensive position in a locked room, behind cover and wait for the intruder to come to me, thereby giving him a chance to leave alive. Of course, that's just me, I have no children or spouse to protect. In that case, I probably would have my loved ones in a safe room and would be close by guarding that room. There is no one formula for everyone as each situation is different. I might be fearful, in fact I probably would be, who wouldn't be? Who wants to be in a gun battle in their own home?!? But if someone presents a lethal threat to me, I WILL defend my life and I WILL prevail. I only depend on the police to come and take the report and take the BG away, alive or not.

That's exactly why I dont advocate it to anyone necessarily Ruby. I however have practiced and trained in Room Clearing/MOUT tactics and MY opinion is that I am gonna hunt that no good POS down and give him a lesson for trying to mess with MY property (premeditated and everything I know :) ) But that is not for everyone, everyone must chose their own levels of comfort and response. Just so long as they are not cowering in a corner helplessly waiting the arrival of the police HOPING they make it their in time...

Last edited:

Metalhead47

That's exactly why I dont advocate it to anyone necessarily Ruby. I however have practiced and trained in Room Clearing/MOUT tactics and MY opinion is that I am gonna hunt that no good POS down and give him a lesson for trying to mess with MY property (premeditated and everything I know :) ) But that is not for everyone, everyone must chose their own levels of comfort and response. Just so long as they are not cowering in a corner helplessly waiting the arrival of the police HOPING they make it their in time...

Thinking on the pro & con of this... waiting, armed, in a "safe room" while some punk or punks make off with all your stuff seems even worse. Being a renter, I can't put a lock on my bedroom door (at least one that's worth anything), but... my house also has a piss-poor layout for room-to-room clearing without exposing my back. Both things I plan to take into consideration when it's time to buy. I also have the awesome advantage of an armed spouse gun_smilie.gif

blackmarine

I'm glad that this women wasn't found and raped, or murdered. She was extremely lucky. Having said that, why on GODS green earth, would she not have a firearm. The news account of this ordeal stated it lasted 10 minutes, think what could have happened to this women in that amount of time.

What kind of husband would leave his wife at home, alone, with no protection ? No matter what her thoughts are on the subject of having a firearm in the home, as the head of the household (IE, a man) it is his responsibility to protect his wife. Or see to it that she can protect herself. :confused:

As I see it, this is another case of, "The Sheeple Grazing Placidly In The Meadow".

blackmarine

Here Here !!!

.45ACPaddy

I'm glad that this women wasn't found and raped, or murdered. She was extremely lucky. Having said that, why on GODS green earth, would she not have a firearm. The news account of this ordeal stated it lasted 10 minutes, think what could have happened to this women in that amount of time.

What kind of husband would leave his wife at home, alone, with no protection ? No matter what her thoughts are on the subject of having a firearm in the home, as the head of the household (IE, a man) it is his responsibility to protect his wife. Or see to it that she can protect herself. :confused:

As I see it, this is another case of, "The Sheeple Grazing Placidly In The Meadow".

+100

One of my dating criteria is the lady being comfortable with me OCing. Another is being comfortable with going to the range. If it wasn't for being a broke college student I'd have taken a couple ladies from school to the range to study "triggernometry." I'd be an easy grader, honest!