• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Reply from my newly-elected State Representative

KBCraig

My district just voted out the incumbent Democrat. He was a good pro-gun vote, but not so great in other ways. He got swept out in the anti-incumbent red tide.

So, I dropped a note to his replacement:
Congratulations on your victory. I voted for you, and I look forward to some
changes.

One of my primary areas of concern is gun rights. I hope to see the 82nd
Legislature bring us "Constitutional Carry", as found in Vermont, Alaska, and
Arizona, where no license is required for a law-abiding adult to carry a
handgun; where open carry is legal; and where a license is still available
for reciprocity purposes.

Even if we can't get unlicensed carry, please push for legal open carry.

And, his (quick) reply:
Thank you very much.

I'm a strong supporter of gun rights, and I understand the 2nd Amendment to clearly state that our right to bear arms shall not be abridged. I'm opposed to all laws that infringe on that right.

I will work with the NRA and the TSRA to pass open carry. While I see nothing constitutional about having a license to carry arms, that will be hard to pass, but I'm game to try.

Thanks for your support.

Have a great day!

SemperFiTexan

Good job on getting a letter to him so quickly!
Now I just hope he acturally does what he says he will; that would be something new for most politicians.

have gun will travel

My district just voted out the incumbent Democrat. He was a good pro-gun vote, but not so great in other ways. He got swept out in the anti-incumbent red tide.

And, his (quick) reply:

just curious did you happen to catch a name

OldCurlyWolf

I wish I could say the same about the Sen. & Rep. for my districts. I never voted for either one of them, the blasted anti-constitution liberals. :cuss::banghead:

MR Redenck

George Lavender. I posted his info at the Texas Gun Talk thread.

http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/...ganization-will-fight-texas-gun-rights-24.htm

As a Representative of The Lone Star Citizens Defense League, I have contacted Mr. Lavender. I am impressed with his outlook on Constitutional Rights.
I have also contacted several of our other new Legislatures and visited with them about Constitutional Rights. I want to add that Texas has been bless with some fine new individuals who will support the Constitutional Rights of Texans.
The LSCDL will be proud to support these great new Representatives.
We have been working on material to introduce to the 82nd Legislature and have sent our amended laws to our friend at AzCDL for review. Once we get their advise, we will be campaigning for the Rights of all Good Texans.

Last edited:

jsimmons

In Bastrop isn't your (our) rep Tim Kleimshmidt? I wrote him an email, he says he'll rely on TSRA to lobby for OC, and if they do he'll support it.

Well, there it is then. TSRA won't be supporting a bill for OC, and everyone even remotely familiar with the subject of OC in Texas knows it. He essentially just gave you a flat-out "no". Like every other politician known to exist in Austin, none of them are real Texans with anything identifiable as a backbone or independent thought, and they're completely out of touch with what's right.

Even if a bill WERE introduced to restore OC, the TSRA wouldn't support it.

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
Well, there it is then. TSRA won't be supporting a bill for OC, and everyone even remotely familiar with the subject of OC in Texas knows it. He essentially just gave you a flat-out "no". Like every other politician known to exist in Austin, none of them are real Texans with anything identifiable as a backbone or independent thought, and they're completely out of touch with what's right.

Even if a bill WERE introduced to restore OC, the TSRA wouldn't support it.

Why do you say that? Alice Tripp was at my father's Gun Club last year and the question came up. She said that we had barely enough pro-gun votes to advance any agenda in the 81st, and that OC was too much of a long shot. This cycle should prove different, I think it would be more effective to contact TSRA and voice your concerns, rather than just dismissing them. They have done a lot of good for us as gun owners. If they're rejected and tarnished by members here who want to push OC, how much effort do you expect from them?

Last edited:

B.D. WALKER

As a Representative of The Lone Star Citizens Defense League, I have contacted Mr. Lavender. I am impressed with his outlook on Constitutional Rights.
I have also contacted several of our other new Legislatures and visited with them about Constitutional Rights. I want to add that Texas has been bless with some fine new individuals who will support the Constitutional Rights of Texans.
The LSCDL will be proud to support these great new Representatives.
We have been working on material to introduce to the 82nd Legislature and have sent our amended laws to our friend at AzCDL for review. Once we get their advise, we will be campaigning for the Rights of all Good Texans.

That sounds like plan. Things seem to be going well for gun owners in Texas and I hope it continues to a great climax.

jsimmons

Why do you say that? Alice Tripp was at my father's Gun Club last year and the question came up. She said that we had barely enough pro-gun votes to advance any agenda in the 81st, and that OC was too much of a long shot. This cycle should prove different, I think it would be more effective to contact TSRA and voice your concerns, rather than just dismissing them. They have done a lot of good for us as gun owners. If they're rejected and tarnished by members here who want to push OC, how much effort do you expect from them?

Because their rep on the Texas CHL forum said as much. They'd rather try to get campus carry and parking lot storage than make a real effort towards restoring our constitutional rights which would solve BOTH of the other issues at the same time.

DKSuddeth

Accomplished Advocate

the last two years, TSRA has declared their objectives to expand gun rights for CHL holders, campus carry, and employee parking lots. That is it. they have little taste for OC for fear that the 30.06 signs will spread like wildfire because open carry will scare people and shop owners.

CliffH

I'd emailed Ms. Tripp earlier this year inquiring about the TSRA's stance on OC. Her reply included a short TX history lesson, along with an absolute "NO" to OC.

rushcreek2

Although I believe the predictions that OC will invite a tsunami of 30.06 signs are greatly unfounded - they are nonetheless the very real concerns of many of our fellow armed citizens over at TSRA and Texas CHL forum.

Many are concerned that once OC is legal in Texas OC'ers will be attempting to push OC on every private premises in the State, resulting in an epidemic of MWAG incidents, increased use of 30.06 signeage, and a general atmosphere of agitation that will result in a backlash. As a Colorado resident for several years I know that simply isn't the case. True there is some OC back-pressure in Texas that will necessarily be released in celebration of lifting a 140 year old curse, but Texans are darn decent folks who have a reputation for respecting the rights of others in the community.

The acceptance of armed citizens on private premises is a matter of prerogative reserved for those holding property rights. At the same time refusal to accomodate a constitutionally protected civil right in the public square is unacceptable. I would probably be inclined to conceal upon entering a business unless I frequented it regularly, and knew they welcomed OC. There's plenty of opportunity to OC in parking lots, public recreation areas, and sidewalks without forcing it on retailers. That seems to be the big concern over at the Texas CHL forum, and TSRA.

It's time to tone down the strident rhetoric, stop the bickering, and start working in concert to enhance right to carry in Texas. Forgiveness is a wonderful healing force. Forgiveness has at its foundation recognition of the value of the experience and perspectives of others even when you don't agree with them 100 percent - YET.

CliffH

It's time to tone down the strident rhetoric, stop the bickering, and start working in concert to enhance right to carry in Texas.

Well said.

One large problem is getting people to agree on what type of OC they're willing to fight for - or in some cases allow. While some want to see Constitutional Carry others would be content with licensed OC. According to Rep. Riddle's staff, that's what caused a problem in the last session - nobody could agree on what would be "best".

rushcreek2

Maybe this time around LICENSED CC/OC option by amending 46.035 to delete paragraph (a) is something that will bring everyone together. Although this would not be CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT TO CARRY, or UNLICENSED OPEN CARRY - it would be ONE STEP FORWARD, something we could ALL AGREE ON, and opposition would be negligible.

jsimmons

Maybe this time around LICENSED CC/OC option by amending 46.035 to delete paragraph (a) is something that will bring everyone together. Although this would not be CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT TO CARRY, or UNLICENSED OPEN CARRY - it would be ONE STEP FORWARD, something we could ALL AGREE ON, and opposition would be negligible.

That would mean that Texas can still sell us our rights. That's the very problem I have with concealed carry. That and the fact that it implements a gun registration program. Thanks, but no thanks.

Fisherman

That would mean that Texas can still sell us our rights. That's the very problem I have with concealed carry. That and the fact that it implements a gun registration program. Thanks, but no thanks.

Although they do know that everyone with a permit has guns, it's not a registration program.