• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Reply from my newly-elected State Representative

CliffH

If we start by asking for Constitutional Carry, we can always fall back to unlicensed OC or even (shudder) licensed OC.

If we start by asking for licensed OC, what's our fall-back position?

B.D. WALKER

I don't like the idea of of licensed OC as much as the next guy but there just might be the need to take one step at a time. We aim big, at least then we have room to negotiate.

At the end it might come down to those that need to be convinced in the legislative. If we can (as unflattering as it may be) score licensed OC; the next time we are push for a gun law change we get to move it to the next step since we already have the basic. Not like now that we are starting from CC, but imagine if we had no carry laws and wanted to jump straight to unlicensed OC.

I say we try anyway but lets aim make sure that we at least win the battle with the hope that we would eventually win the war. Wanting the best and only the best right now is admirable; knowing when to negotiates if the need be is wise.

B.D. WALKER

Well, there it is then. TSRA won't be supporting a bill for OC, and everyone even remotely familiar with the subject of OC in Texas knows it. He essentially just gave you a flat-out "no". Like every other politician known to exist in Austin, none of them are real Texans with anything identifiable as a backbone or independent thought, and they're completely out of touch with what's right.

Even if a bill WERE introduced to restore OC, the TSRA wouldn't support it.

I certainly agree.The TSRA is useless in the struggle for OC in Texas come the next legislative session.

Notso

Campaign Veteran
I suspect the only way Texas will get open carry anytime soon will be through some sort of judicial action. For some reason, the stars just seem to be against it, down to a supposed conservative governor who probably wouldn't sign an OC bill anyway. As far as the 30.06 signs, yes you'd probably see more of them for awhile, but after a period of time they'll go away just like they did after conceal carry was passed.

jsimmons

I suspect the only way Texas will get open carry anytime soon will be through some sort of judicial action. For some reason, the stars just seem to be against it, down to a supposed conservative governor who probably wouldn't sign an OC bill anyway. As far as the 30.06 signs, yes you'd probably see more of them for awhile, but after a period of time they'll go away just like they did after conceal carry was passed.

Perry has always said he'd sign an open carry bill if it came across his desk. The problem is getting one to his desk.

Last edited:

Notso

Campaign Veteran
IMHO, Texas needs a leadership group similar to what we have here in Arizona, called the Arizona Citizens Defense League(AZCDL). AZCDL has 2 almost full-time unpaid lobbyists and leads almost all of the pro-gun legislation here, including the constitution carry bill that passed this year. AZCDL is only about 5 years old and was formed in similar fashion to the VCDL group in Virginia. I'm sure they would be happy to talk to anyone from Texas about forming a similar group there. www.azcdl.org

Fisherman

IMHO, Texas needs a leadership group similar to what we have here in Arizona, called the Arizona Citizens Defense League(AZCDL). AZCDL has 2 almost full-time unpaid lobbyists and leads almost all of the pro-gun legislation here, including the constitution carry bill that passed this year. AZCDL is only about 5 years old and was formed in similar fashion to the VCDL group in Virginia. I'm sure they would be happy to talk to anyone from Texas about forming a similar group there. www.azcdl.org

Done! http://www.lonestarcdl.org

KBCraig

The AZCDL has already provided immeasurable assistance to the LSCDL. The LSCDL has also contacted the VCDL, who offered to help in whatever way possible.

Well, there you go, then. Charles Cotton will just claim it's a bunch of outsiders screwing things up in Texas.

Fisherman

Well, there you go, then. Charles Cotton will just claim it's a bunch of outsiders screwing things up in Texas.

He might not. I've read some of what he has to say and although I don't understand most of his worries about OC, I think he's a pretty smart fellow and I would welcome his help if he offered it.

Maybe you guys haven't approached him right. Remember that old saying about "more flies with honey"! ;)

Last edited:

KBCraig

He might not. I've read some of what he has to say and although I don't understand most of his worries about OC, I think he's a pretty smart fellow and I would welcome his help if he offered it.

Maybe you guys haven't approached him right. Remember that old saying about "more flies with honey"! ;)
There is no way to approach him right, unless you're already part of his trusted circle.

Read the that thread on his forum: he talks out of both sides of his mouth, often within the same post. He claims to be willing to help an OC-specific group, but vows he won't work anyone or any group not well known to him. He claims his agenda is public and open, while keeping his work and his plans cloaked in secrecy. He accuses anyone involved with OCDO of engaging in bomb-throwing, name-calling, and scorched-earth tactics who don't know how to make friends, while simultaneously bad-mouthing the entire OC movement. He claims to have his own OC plan, but won't discuss it. He tells other groups they have to get involved in the process, but will do nothing to help them or instruct them, and jealously guards his insider connections. He accuses OC supporters of dishonesty, while disingenously denigrating even the Texas members as being a "Virginia-based organization".

I understand that as a practicing personal injury trial lawyer he has to be able to argue every side of every argument, but I think he's been doing it for so long that he doesn't realize how dishonest and hypocritical he's being.

In short: he is a political insider who enjoys his gatekeeper status, and is unwilling to lose his exclusivity.

Re-reading his doublespeak reminds me of why he was laughed and ridiculed off of the usenet group tx.guns, and left to found his own forum where he can control what is said.

B.D. WALKER

I would welcome any one or group that offered help. But thatz the thing, Charles Cotton isn't helping or offering to help. As for his worries on OC, I think his group has some personal agenda they are interested in like campus carry or something and they feel that OC would just get in their way.

Another thought is that they want to leave some lobbying for the the 83rd session so they would have some thing to do... :lol:

B.D. WALKER

There is no way to approach him right, unless you're already part of his trusted circle.

Read the that thread on his forum: he talks out of both sides of his mouth, often within the same post. He claims to be willing to help an OC-specific group, but vows he won't work anyone or any group not well known to him. He claims his agenda is public and open, while keeping his work and his plans cloaked in secrecy. He accuses anyone involved with OCDO of engaging in bomb-throwing, name-calling, and scorched-earth tactics who don't know how to make friends, while simultaneously bad-mouthing the entire OC movement. He claims to have his own OC plan, but won't discuss it. He tells other groups they have to get involved in the process, but will do nothing to help them or instruct them, and jealously guards his insider connections. He accuses OC supporters of dishonesty, while disingenously denigrating even the Texas members as being a "Virginia-based organization".

I understand that as a practicing personal injury trial lawyer he has to be able to argue every side of every argument, but I think he's been doing it for so long that he doesn't realize how dishonest and hypocritical he's being.

In short: he is a political insider who enjoys his gatekeeper status, and is unwilling to lose his exclusivity.

Re-reading his doublespeak reminds me of why he was laughed and ridiculed off of the usenet group tx.guns, and left to found his own forum where he can control what is said.

I couldn't have said it better myself if I tried...