• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry dinner in Cary, NC Chik-fil-A on Saturday, November 6, 2010

Mike

Site Co-Founder
http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=news/local&id=7767583

SNIP

CARY, NC (WTVD) -- A group that supports the right to openly carry firearms in public is planning an event Saturday night at a Cary Chick-fil-A restaurant.

According to an 'Action Alert' from North Carolina conservative activist Randy Dye, the Triangle Open Carry Dinner will host "like minded individuals who believe in the 2nd Amendment to the US Constitution."

. . .
ABC11 contacted Chick-fil-A. A corporate spokesperson . . . said the group will be treated as any other customers would be.

North Carolina law does not prohibit openly carrying a gun except at certain events such as public parades, funeral processions, picket lines, or demonstrations.

. . .

paramedic70002

This is what I got out of it:

" ABC111 contacted Chick-fil-A. A corporate spokesperson said the company...Do(es) not endorse the group's political agenda."

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/endorse

endorse, indorse [ɪnˈdɔːs]
vb (tr)
1. to give approval or sanction

http://www.chick-fil-a.com/?#feedback

Here is my inquiry to them:
As a customer of your restaurants, as well as having a close relative who works for you, I am concerned about some statements in the above referenced article. Since you are a religious based company, I am surprised at the stance you have taken. Self defense is referenced several times in the Bible, and not just in the home. For instance, Nehemiah 4:18 tells us that workers building a wall wore their swords (handguns in modern times) in their belts while they worked. And of course Jesus admonished his disciples to sell their cloaks and purchase swords (presumably a 'short sword,' today's handgun, for self defense in their travels). Can you please advise what, if any, is your corporate stance on citizens lawfully carrying firearms in your restaurants or elsewhere. Further, please explain, if reported accurately in the above referenced article, why you do not "endorse" (approve of) the Second Amendment to the US Constitution, which is the highest law in this land, recently upheld by the US Supreme Court in two landmark decisions, Heller v District of Columbia and McDonald v Chicago. If your official stance is as reported, I will be disappointed but respect your decision. You should be aware that this issue is being discussed on various well populated internet gun forums, and your response, or lack thereof, will be posted for all to read and act on as each member sees fit as it pertains to continued patronage of your various franchise operations. Thank you for your time on this matter.
Maybe this could get moved to hot topics?

Last edited:

paramedic70002

I got a reply from the owner of the Chick-fil-A that was mentioned in the story:

First of all let me address the statements that I made to Fred Shropshire from WTVD 11. I told him that I was not aware that Mr. Dyes' group had selected Chick-fil-a to meet and eat. I said that this was not a Chick-fil-a sponsored event, that I did not give them permission to use our trademarks on his website and I did not give him permission to invite news cameras into my restaurant. I told him that I was not a part of Mr Dyes' group but if they came to my restaurant they would be treated like every other customer. Chick-fil-a is a business, not an individual. It has no vote or opinion. Chick-fil-a is made up of over 80,000 people and I cannot speak for any of them but since you asked I'll tell you how I feel personally. I passionately defend our second amendment. I support the right to own and bear arms and I am myself a gun owner. What I do not support is someone trying to turn my restaurant into a bully-pulpit to further their agenda without my permission. I do not support the misuse of our trademarks or the invitation to thepress to cover an event in my restaurant that I had no knowledge of. The reporter said that the police said I gave my consent, not true, I learned of this meeting from WTVD 11. The reporter said I did not support their political agenda, meaning I did not support protecting the second amendment, not true, I said I did not support Mr. Dyes' organization. This is not about Chick-fil-a, This is about the right to own and bear arms, which, as I said, I support.
I hope that I have cleared things up and you will continue to support Chick-fil-a.

Respectfully,

sultan62

I got a reply from the owner of the Chick-fil-A that was mentioned in the story:

Good email.

If media was invited without his permission, logos were used illegally, etc., then that was wrong on whoever did those things. From what he said, it is unclear as to whether or not those things happened.

Looks like the owner's got a good head on his shoulders.

razor_baghdad

His email clarified the 'implied intent' I took from his interview. Good on him for taking the time to write it!

I don't agree with his 'bully-pulpit' comment. OC events are not set-up as a bullying tactic. They're fun get togethers for like-minded individuals who like to step out for a bite to eat.

Educational? ~yes~ Bullies? ~no~

Stustrickland

How did the dinner go as I know Cary is very opposed to OC. I realize Chick-Fil-A is a private business and OC is allowed there, but I also know any public grounds in Cary is a no OC zone.

eye95

I stumbled on to this thread while checking on Chik-fil-a's receptiveness to OC. I thought they would be.

Anyway, just an aside on "bully pulpit." The term has nothing to do with bullying. Theodore Roosevelt coined the term. He used the word "bully" as an adjective, to say that something was big or good. The "Bully Pulpit" was the White House, being a great pulpit from which ideas could be put in front of the people in a way to get them to attend.

swillden

Anyway, just an aside on "bully pulpit." The term has nothing to do with bullying. Theodore Roosevelt coined the term. He used the word "bully" as an adjective, to say that something was big or good.
+1

Based on the context, I think the store owner used the term correctly, meaning that he didn't like having his store used as a place for pushing an agenda, rather than implying that OCers were "bullying" people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bully_pulpit
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/bully#Adjective