• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Judge for OC

swfaninwi

Anyone here carry a Taurus Judge?

Thoughts on the Judge in general (a good idea or an odd ball)? If it’s such a good idea, why haven’t other manufacturers produced a .410 revolver?

Thoughts on .410 in a revolver (capabilities, realistic stopping power, etc)?

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
I have seen some reports of barrel separation, cylinders jamming etc with the judge, so please do some research before committing to using one as a carry weapon. Plus I would not be comfortable with the stopping power of 00 buck from a .410.
The "Box O Truth" had less than glowing reports about their feasibility too, allegedly the pellets were flattening in the barrel.

protias

I have seen some reports of barrel separation, cylinders jamming etc with the judge, so please do some research before committing to using one as a carry weapon. Plus I would not be comfortable with the stopping power of 00 buck from a .410.
The "Box O Truth" had less than glowing reports about their feasibility too, allegedly the pellets were flattening in the barrel.
The Judge was on my list of firearms to buy, but after reading this, it no longer is.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
Publice Defender and Night Court

The Judge was on my list of firearms to buy, but after reading this, it no longer is.

Oh, not so fast Joe! I have the Public Defender and I have carried it a few times. It weighs 28 ounces and handles well. If you would like to borrow mine for an evaluation you are more than welcome. Mine is the stainless version with a bobbed hammer and I don't see it listed on the Taurus site any longer. If you do decide to get one for carry I suggest you get one of the "Public Defender" styles since they have shorter barrels and are lightweight. Also, make sure you get one with a hammer that is not bobbed. The bobbed hammer on mine is very painful for me (wimp) to cock single action. There are some that are special order apparently such as the "Night Court" which I also don't see listed on their site.

http://www.taurususa.com/gun-selector-results.cfm?name=410 Shotshell & .45 colt&page=1

As for the gun not shooting certain ammo that is very true! The gun shoots all the .45 Colt ammo I have tried very nicely so standard gun ammo is not a problem. What IS a problem are certain shot shells. Do not buy any 2.5 inch shot shells unless they state on the box that they are made for handguns. I use Federal handgun .410 buckshot and Winchester's PDX1 made specifically for handguns. Both of these function perfectly. Any other 2.5 inch shot shell may not work correctly because once fired the case opens and lengthens too much and jams the cylinder. I had this happen with Centurion shot shell ammo.

Lock and Load!

M

McX

you would think the judges would be all over this; knowing the Constitution as they do, watching scofflaws rotate through their courts, and never realy get any substancial penalty, seeing the faces of their victims, seeing the problems with society as a whole, one would think the would lead the charge, followed behind by the C.A.R.S. (cant articluate reasonable suspicoins- fomerly known as cops).

amaixner

If you use 45LC ammo in it, then you have an acceptable, oversized, defensive arm.
If you use so-called .410 buckshot, you have an underpowerd and oversized defensive arm.
If you use birdshot, you have a good pistol for shooting snakes or birds at close range.

The Judge is going to be the Desert Eagle of this decade -- everyone who doesn't understand balistics and physics will think it is awesome, and those who can logically analyze balistics/size/performance will sit back and laugh. The Judge line of handguns has a niche that it fills well, which is shooting small animals at close range (though that niche was already filled by the Thunder 5). It also has a marketing team that is doing a great job of selling it to the under-informed.

NRAMARINE

I carry one mostly as a trail gun while hunting. I bought it primarily as a snake gun to keep loaded with #8 for close range critter control. However, if you use 45lc in it be aware most loads available are cowboy loads and lack power. Recently this has changed, Hornady leverevolution ammo and Winchester silvertip hollow points are definetely hurt bombs capable of dropping a threat cold. Federal has also developed a .410 load in 00 buck specifically designed for handguns. The ballistics are pretty good with this load ( 1200fps) and 4 holes for one squeeze of the trigger. It patterns pretty good inside of 15 yds. The other good thing is at close range you don't have to be terribly accurate with these loads. I find my averahe spread at 15yds is about 4-6 inches around point of aim. Accuracy with the 45's is also decent, and it's better to shoot it single action if possible. As far as size goes, weight is good if you're recoil sensitive. Better holsters have also recently become available, I recently bought a Blackhawk level 2 for mine. There's also the "Badguy just crapped himself at the sight and sound of this hand cannon" factor. As with any firearm it was designed to do certain things well, meaning other things not so well. As far as a close range defense gun, I like it for certain circumstances. Mostly woods, snakes etc. As a man stopper, I carry a G19. However my Judge is also close at hand.

I haven't tried the PDX1 rounds, however I do hear good things. Also steer clear of Remington .410 loads, the hulls swell and it's a b!#ch to get them out of the cylinder.

Last edited:

oak1971

Taurus has spotty QC, you might need the warranty. My M44 had to go back and my BIL's Raging Bull in 454 had to go back. My PT1911 had parts fall off.

I still have the M44, and it seems ok now. It's basically retired now.

swfaninwi

Thanks for the input. A .410 revolver is a novel idea and I think amaixner hit it on the head. Add in what I’ve heard about Taurus and I think I will pass. Wish Ruger would make one. At least it would be well made. I once had a T/C .410 Contender. Took it pheasant hunting on a pheasant farm. Now there’s a challenge.

AaronBC

Yeah, I saw the Judge in a magazine and thought it looked amazing. A little research and seeing that "Box of Truth" and I realized what they say there is true, bird shot is for little birds. If you're using a gun for self defense you better have the best weapon and ammo to stop the problem, and prepared to go as far as it may take.

Captain Nemo

Target: 1/2in. X 4 1/2in. plywood @ 21feet. Ammo: .410 3in. #4 birdshot and .410 3in. 5 000Bucksot. You be 'da judge.

Attachments

• DSC00120.JPG
    DSC00120.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 74
  • DSC00119.JPG
    DSC00119.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 77
  • DSC00121.JPG
    DSC00121.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 75
  • DSC00122.JPG
    DSC00122.JPG