Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 50

Thread: Wendys

  1. #1
    Regular Member Sc0tt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Asheboro, NC
    Posts
    315

    Post Wendys

    So I like Wendys, and eat while OCing all the time at a local Wendys and have never had a problem, until today. I was asked by an asstiant manager to either place my handgun in the car or leave the store.
    We had a conversation where I asked why it was a problem today when dozens of times I have came in and sat down and had a meal and nothing has ever been said to me. It was pointed out to me that an employee had pointed out to other staff that I was OC-ing and those employees then became scared and went to the asstiant manager, she then called the General manager who said that in her store only cops can carry guns. I pointed out to the asstiant manager that in NC unless a business has it posted that there are no gun allowed then I was not breaking any state laws or posted rules of the business. The AM agreed with me and did not see a problem with it, however her manager told her that I must either put it in my car or leave.

    Tommorow I am going to call this women who obviously does not know NC state law and does not want guns in her store. I do fell that this one employee made a big incident over something that shouldn't even of been an issue. (To give you an idea of what kind of kind this guy is he applied at the security company I use to work for, walking in with a shirt down to his knees along with his pants and his hat on sideways and asked if we were hiring and if we got to shoot people)

    What advice can I get on dealing with this women tommorow. How should I address the issue, what points should I bring up?

  2. #2
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,613
    Why would you encourage gun buster signs?

    If they don't want your money, give it to someone else - it's that simple.

    Now if a polite and informed conversation with the GM works, then more power to you, but please do NOT encourage signs.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  3. #3
    Regular Member Sc0tt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Asheboro, NC
    Posts
    315
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    1. Be exceptionally nice and polite. I mean lay it on thick.

    2. Ask that if her employee was uncomfortable with orange shirts, would she be asking you to not wear an orange shirt? Ask her what is more important to her, her employees feeling "comfortable" with every customer that comes into the store, or making sales to customers? Explain that you are a law abiding citizen who cares enough about yourself and those around you to have the means available for protection in case a serious, violent crime should occur and there should be no more reaction to a lawfully carried and possessed firearm than a lawfully worn orange shirt.

    3. Explain that a no guns policy is going to do absolutely nothing to keep a criminal from bringing a gun into the store. That's the definition of a criminal - one who does not obey laws, rules or store policies. The only thing a no guns policy is going to do is keep paying customers out of the business.

    4. Ask her why she feels the need to drive away perfectly legal customers who want to spend money in their store. You don't smell. You don't make obnoxious noise. You don't invade anybody's space. All you do is buy food in her store, contributing to profits, and eat there. The gun on your belt is no different than a cell phone (except your gun is less annoying, it doesn't make distracting noises). Ask her why she doesn't explain to her employees that you a perfectly legal customer who is only concerned about his own safety instead of running off paying, law abiding customers.

    5. Ask her in today's economy, full of unemployment, which she thinks would be easier to replace.... a law abiding, paying customer.... or an employee who has problems with law abiding, paying customers.

    Always remember suggestion number 1. Even if she is a complete and total anti with no common sense whatsoever and pushes every button you have - when you call her, you are representing the gun owner's of America. If you lose it with her, you are going to affirm every false belief she has about us.

    You might want to ask her which coffee store is doing better - Peets Coffee that bowed to the Brady Campaign, banned guns, and saw a 25% jump in profits,or Starbucks Coffee which stood firm and allows guns in their stores and saw a 100% jump in profits.
    Thanks this is great stuff. I will let you know how it goes.

  4. #4
    Regular Member rotorhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    862
    Meh keep it simple.

    Ask one final time if they do not want you in their store while OCing. If so, say thanks and head on down to another place that doesn't mind. Even if it's not posted, they still can ask you to leave. It is, after all, their business.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    211
    Quote Originally Posted by Sc0tt View Post
    So I like Wendys, and eat while OCing all the time at a local Wendys and have never had a problem, until today. I was asked by an asstiant manager to either place my handgun in the car or leave the store.
    We had a conversation where I asked why it was a problem today when dozens of times I have came in and sat down and had a meal and nothing has ever been said to me. It was pointed out to me that an employee had pointed out to other staff that I was OC-ing and those employees then became scared and went to the asstiant manager, she then called the General manager who said that in her store only cops can carry guns. I pointed out to the asstiant manager that in NC unless a business has it posted that there are no gun allowed then I was not breaking any state laws or posted rules of the business. The AM agreed with me and did not see a problem with it, however her manager told her that I must either put it in my car or leave.

    Tommorow I am going to call this women who obviously does not know NC state law and does not want guns in her store. I do fell that this one employee made a big incident over something that shouldn't even of been an issue. (To give you an idea of what kind of kind this guy is he applied at the security company I use to work for, walking in with a shirt down to his knees along with his pants and his hat on sideways and asked if we were hiring and if we got to shoot people)

    What advice can I get on dealing with this women tommorow. How should I address the issue, what points should I bring up?
    Which wendys was it?

    The one by the mall or the one down by tacobell?

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Conover
    Posts
    237
    screw the GM or DM... Call the corporate office... It will be there call NOT the managers

  7. #7
    Regular Member Maverick9110e's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    224
    Quote Originally Posted by muccione View Post
    screw the GM or DM... Call the corporate office... It will be there call NOT the managers
    Ditto

  8. #8
    State Researcher lockman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Elgin, Illinois, USA
    Posts
    1,202
    Did they ask you to leave after they served you? If so did you ask for a refund?

    It is certainly inappropriate to take your money and then ask you to leave if that is the case.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Hickory, NC, ,
    Posts
    1,025
    Quote Originally Posted by muccione View Post
    screw the GM or DM... Call the corporate office... It will be there call NOT the managers
    Unless it's a franchise. In which case the owner of the franchise makes the rules, not corporate. CC's pizza is the same way. There are Anti and Pro franchises. Corporate stays out of it.

    To the OP find out if it's corporate or franchise. If it's franchise, find out which one's they own. Then boycott those specific stores.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Posts
    1

    Cool OC and GM/AMs

    "Unless it's a franchise. In which case the owner of the franchise makes the rules, not corporate. CC's pizza is the same way. There are Anti and Pro franchises. Corporate stays out of it.

    To the OP find out if it's corporate or franchise. If it's franchise, find out which one's they own. Then boycott those specific stores."


    I agree. I have had a problem with OC in Shoney's in Fredericksburg, and was asked by the AM to leave. I told him, very politely, that I have every right to be OCing in their establishment and that there were no posted signs to the contrary. He left and the GM came up and TOLD me to leave or else he would call the police. I once again, explained the situation and he was imposing on my rights. He stated that the owner does not wish to have guns in his place. I told him it needs to be posted, because otherwise, there is no proof. He told me one more time to Please leave or he would call the police. I told him if I were to leave I don't believe that I should not be charged for the meal. He said fine and I left...I was done eating anyways...but I left with the number to the owner of the place. I called him on my way to the car. He stated that he NEVER stated such rule against guns and he would have a talk with his GM. I came back two days later and there was a new GM and AM. Nice.

  11. #11
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,613
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndammendmentsailor View Post
    "Unless it's a franchise. In which case the owner of the franchise makes the rules, not corporate. CC's pizza is the same way. There are Anti and Pro franchises. Corporate stays out of it.

    To the OP find out if it's corporate or franchise. If it's franchise, find out which one's they own. Then boycott those specific stores."


    I agree. I have had a problem with OC in Shoney's in Fredericksburg, and was asked by the AM to leave. I told him, very politely, that I have every right to be OCing in their establishment and that there were no posted signs to the contrary. He left and the GM came up and TOLD me to leave or else he would call the police. I once again, explained the situation and he was imposing on my rights. He stated that the owner does not wish to have guns in his place. I told him it needs to be posted, because otherwise, there is no proof. He told me one more time to Please leave or he would call the police. I told him if I were to leave I don't believe that I should not be charged for the meal. He said fine and I left...I was done eating anyways...but I left with the number to the owner of the place. I called him on my way to the car. He stated that he NEVER stated such rule against guns and he would have a talk with his GM. I came back two days later and there was a new GM and AM. Nice.
    Never never encourage, ask for, demand or suggest gun buster signs.

    Shoney's is private property, therefore yes their demand was legal - they do NOT need signs. You could have been arrested for trespassing and it would likely have stuck.

    Good for straightening the situation out after the fact, but minus points for any scene you made and negative reflection on OCers.

    Have to wonder about your calling the "owner" unless you are referring to a franchise owner. Shoney's is part of a huge corporate conglomerate. I knew the original owner(/founder of Shoney's but he sold it years ago - "Shoney" is a shortened form of his family name -Schoenbaum. Most recently it passed from Texas-based investors Lone Star Funds to the new owner Atlanta-based Royal Capital Corp (David Davoudpour, founder and CEO).

    BTW - welcome to OCDO
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Conover
    Posts
    237
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    Unless it's a franchise. In which case the owner of the franchise makes the rules, not corporate.
    Not true... franchise owners MUST follow the rules the corporate office makes... its a standard... Imagine going to a franchise McDonalds and the owner uses a different type of burger meat... Corporate can and will take back a place.. look at the Domino's in Conover. Call the Wendy's Consumer Relations
    Wendy's International, Inc.
    One Dave Thomas Blvd.
    Dublin, OH 43017

    Phone: (614) 764-3100, ext. 2032

    Dave Thomas was a great American.....and a member of the NRA

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Conover
    Posts
    237
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Never never encourage, ask for, demand or suggest gun buster signs.
    I say let them... When you see a sign let them know WHY you will not shop there... after sales drop off... so will the sign.. most large companys follow state laws...

  14. #14
    Regular Member elixin77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Greenville, NC, ,
    Posts
    591
    I thought franchises were individually owned. I.e, they order all the same food from the distributes, but they make their own rules when it comes to their restaurant.
    Taurus PT1911 .45 ACP. Carried in condition 1, with a total of 25 rounds.

    Vice President of Students for Concealed Carry on Campus, ECU Chapter

  15. #15
    mattwestm
    Guest
    Yeah, same here. Although it might depend on the franchise (Subway might be different than Panera). Generally though, they all have the same menu and overall appearance, but each individual restaurant can accept/deny coupons, etc. This probably includes firearms.

  16. #16
    Regular Member sultan62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Clayton, NC
    Posts
    1,319
    Franchises are individually owned, by definition. The franchisee purchases a license from the corporation. The corporation may set some rules, but I'm not sure weapons policies are among them or not.

  17. #17
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,613
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Never never encourage, ask for, demand or suggest gun buster signs.
    Quote Originally Posted by muccione View Post
    I say let them... When you see a sign let them know WHY you will not shop there... after sales drop off... so will the sign.. most large companys follow state laws...
    When someone encourages gun buster signs and they are put up, what is created a lasting NEGATIVE public legacy that will be seen by all for a long, long time. Not good for our PR.

    I doubt anyone would encourage going door to door asking each business if they were for or against - yet that is what this does, one business at a time.

    If you know a business to be unfriendly, simply take your money elsewhere.

    Post No Bills - No Gun Buster signs - seriously
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  18. #18
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,613
    Quote Originally Posted by sultan62 View Post
    Franchises are individually owned, by definition. The franchisee purchases a license from the corporation. The corporation may set some rules, but I'm not sure weapons policies are among them or not.
    Would depend on how the license contract were written.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Hickory, NC, ,
    Posts
    1,025
    Quote Originally Posted by muccione View Post
    Not true... franchise owners MUST follow the rules the corporate office makes... its a standard... Imagine going to a franchise McDonalds and the owner uses a different type of burger meat... Corporate can and will take back a place.. look at the Domino's in Conover. Call the Wendy's Consumer Relations
    Wendy's International, Inc.
    One Dave Thomas Blvd.
    Dublin, OH 43017

    Phone: (614) 764-3100, ext. 2032

    Dave Thomas was a great American.....and a member of the NRA
    I can tell you that's not how CC's Pizza works. There are a couple of threads on here about it. Someone called corporate and they were told it was the franchisee's rule. They may not all do it the same way. But it's an issue that you may run into.

  20. #20
    Regular Member rotorhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    862
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Never never encourage, ask for, demand or suggest gun buster signs.

    Shoney's is private property, therefore yes their demand was legal - they do NOT need signs. You could have been arrested for trespassing and it would likely have stuck.

    Good for straightening the situation out after the fact, but minus points for any scene you made and negative reflection on OCers.

    Have to wonder about your calling the "owner" unless you are referring to a franchise owner. Shoney's is part of a huge corporate conglomerate. I knew the original owner(/founder of Shoney's but he sold it years ago - "Shoney" is a shortened form of his family name -Schoenbaum. Most recently it passed from Texas-based investors Lone Star Funds to the new owner Atlanta-based Royal Capital Corp (David Davoudpour, founder and CEO).

    BTW - welcome to OCDO
    Actually, in NC they DO need signs- placed in a conspicuous location, usually at entrances or adjacent windows. However, private businesses also have latitude to ask people with guns to leave if they feel concerned about the situation, even if the business normally allows guns there. One such situation would be if a customer freaks out over seeing the gun and causes a scene. Even though it would be the customer who causes the issue, business may ask you to leave to restore the peace. If you refuse, you may then be subject to trespassing charges.

    If a business does have a sign up (in NC it doesn't matter what the sign is made of or how it looks, just that it's placed in a conspicuous location) and you choose to ignore it, you open yourself up to the possibility of trespassing charges, as well.

    Not all states have the same statutes so it's important to understand what's going on in the state we live in. Some states will vary on this "sign rule". I only point this sign rule out for NC because the OP lives in NC.

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Fayetteville, North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    381
    Quote Originally Posted by rotorhead View Post
    Actually, in NC they DO need signs- placed in a conspicuous location, usually at entrances or adjacent windows. However, private businesses also have latitude to ask people with guns to leave if they feel concerned about the situation, even if the business normally allows guns there. One such situation would be if a customer freaks out over seeing the gun and causes a scene. Even though it would be the customer who causes the issue, business may ask you to leave to restore the peace. If you refuse, you may then be subject to trespassing charges.

    If a business does have a sign up (in NC it doesn't matter what the sign is made of or how it looks, just that it's placed in a conspicuous location) and you choose to ignore it, you open yourself up to the possibility of trespassing charges, as well.

    Not all states have the same statutes so it's important to understand what's going on in the state we live in. Some states will vary on this "sign rule". I only point this sign rule out for NC because the OP lives in NC.
    It's only trespassing if you are asked to leave and don't. Other than that it's a misdemeanor carrying charge the FIRST time.

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    462
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketdad View Post
    It's only trespassing if you are asked to leave and don't. Other than that it's a misdemeanor carrying charge the FIRST time.
    Here in NC, a sign serves as notice... You can be charged with trespassing for violating the sign.

  23. #23
    Regular Member sultan62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Clayton, NC
    Posts
    1,319
    Quote Originally Posted by mekender View Post
    Here in NC, a sign serves as notice... You can be charged with trespassing for violating the sign.
    IANAL, but IMO it would be hard to get that charge to stick if you simply say you didn't see the sign. When I first started OCing, I got very used to looking at every single door in great detail to see if there was a sign before I went in. However, once I realized that very few places have signs against it, I got to where I do more of a scan of the door rather than making sure I see and understand each and every sign. On doors where there aren't many signs, I still see everything and know absolutely that there is no rule against it. However, some doors seem to have something covering up every square inch, and I don't stop to make sure to look at and read every little thing to make sure they haven't thrown in a "No Firearms" somewhere.

    I haven't been asked to leave anywhere yet; If I were, I would put down whatever merchandise I had right there on the floor, or refuse to pay for a meal, or whatever would be appropriate at the given venue, and then leave. I'd contact the manager/owner/corporate HQ later as appropriate to try to remedy the situation, and if not, would not patronize in the future.

    Anyway, back on topic. Unless the sign was REALLY noticeable, I don't think you'd get convicted. That doesn't mean you'd get out cheap though, considering lawyer, court costs, etc.

  24. #24
    Regular Member Northerner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Clayton, NC
    Posts
    320
    Sultan,

    At the previous OC meet up at Five Guys in Raleigh, one of the participants produced a box of "no gun - no patronage" business cards. He was giving them out and I suppose like the NC Flyer, he wouldn't mind the shamless duplication and use across NC. It's a piss poor scan, but I think you can read it okay. Easy to duplicate and carry in your wallet for times where and OC is turned away.
    Attached Files Attached Files

  25. #25
    Regular Member sultan62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Clayton, NC
    Posts
    1,319
    Thanks for the scans. If anyone knows who made these, I'd love to get definite confirmation that the creator is ok with duplication just to be sure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •