• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in Huntington beach

OC KIMBER

Just got back from OCing on main street downtown huntington beach and had my first e-check turns out the cops here are very well trained and professional they checked us and were gone in less then a minute no ID check no harrasment KUDOS to HBPD:):banana:

coolusername2007

There is no such thing as a good e-VIOLATION. It is not a badge of honor, its a scar of tyranny!

Having said that, glad your 4A rights were not trampled upon, only merely stepped on.

OC KIMBER

We went down to the pier to have dinner at ruby's after dinner we strolled up main street at the first intersection there were about 5 maybe 6 leo's huddled up across the street they saw us and our guns, as we continued up Main street my wife saw them coming so we decided to wait for then, there was a fountian there so we sat down and waited it did not take long, they approched my friend Eddie first and asked him if we were expecting trouble or just excercising our rights, asked to check his gun which he did, asked us if we had ammo and were it was which was obvious as we both had mags on our belts his partner then checked my gun handed it back to me and said goodnight they were gone before I had my gun secured in my holster and thats about it. I was blown away!

jecsd1

I don't live in CA anymore so I am not well versed in the laws but, per CA penal code, don't the cops have the authority to "e-check" you to verify the unloaded status of your weapon?

Sounds like they didn't detain you after the check was completed. Isn't that how you would want a LEO stop to go?

I'm not being sarcastic, I really want opinions.

I know that not being detained at all because you aren't breaking any law is ideal, but working within the confines of the present system in CA that sounded pretty good.

Last edited:

Ca Patriot

Yes, police in CA have the authority to inspect a handgun to determine if it is loaded or not.

However, I think most of us in California would prefer that police dont perform ANY searches or seizures of our property unless there is evidence of a crime.

jecsd1

I would most definetly agree but until someone challenges that BS "e-check" law then I think that stop went about as well as can be expected, don't you?

cato

I would most definetly agree but until someone challenges that BS "e-check" law then I think that stop went about as well as can be expected, don't you?

'e's days are numbered...I just don't know from which number to begin counting down...but when it is known thank the Calguns Foundation :)

Mike Hawk

Had a very similar experience in the same area last year with a group of 5 or so OCers. I appreciate that their E-checks didn't involve handcuffs and lousy attitudes.

coolusername2007

I don't live in CA anymore so I am not well versed in the laws but, per CA penal code, don't the cops have the authority to "e-check" you to verify the unloaded status of your weapon?

If unconstitutional laws equals authority, then yes. However, its important to remember that they are not required to perform an e-violation. Additionally, given that under McDonald the 2A is a fundamental right, I would argue that disarming a law abiding individual, even momentarily, without reasonable, articulable suspicion that a crime is afoot, is a violation of one's 2A rights in addition to the 4A violation.

Robin47

If unconstitutional laws equals authority, then yes. However, its important to remember that they are not required to perform an e-violation. Additionally, given that under McDonald the 2A is a fundamental right, I would argue that disarming a law abiding individual, even momentarily, without reasonable, articulable suspicion that a crime is afoot, is a violation of one's 2A rights in addition to the 4A violation.

I agree, I'm wondering when a smart lawyer who is pro-2A will sue the state on just that 2A & 4A.

Robin47 :)

jecsd1

I agree 100% It's incredible what we now have legal precedent to restore now that McDonald was decided. I think it's only a matter of time