• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Which cities in Montana need a CCW to carry concealed?

ridgerunner98570

Does anyone know which cities in Montana we cannot concealed carry without a permit in? And can we post them as a sticky so that it is readily available to new Montana members?

press1280

I think you need a CCW to carry concealed anywhere in Montana, except private property. Maybe you meant to ask where can you Open Carry in MT w/O a CCW?

MontanaCZ

You can OC without a permit in Montana. You can CC outside of Incorporated areas without a permit as well.

Ridge, I really don't have an answer for your question. To me, if you say "city", then it will be Incorporated and thus you would need a permit. A lot of towns are as well. I don't even know where a list of Incorporated towns would be found.

-CZ

40s-and-wfan

Does anyone know which cities in Montana we cannot concealed carry without a permit in? And can we post them as a sticky so that it is readily available to new Montana members?

Concealed Carry is not permitted in any city or town without a permit. That's why it is a State Permit to carry concealed. It is fully legal to Open Carry anywhere in the state aside from government buildings and any other business that forbids it. Concealed Carry is legal on private property and anyplace outside the geographical boundaries of an incorporated city, town, village, logging/mining camp, etc.
So to give a broad answer to your question, you cannot legally carry concealed in any city or town without a permit!!

aadvark

In Montana..., Local Governments can Regulate Firearms in their own: 1. Public Buildings, 2. Parks, and 3. Public Assemblies.
However, they can not Regulate Firearms in any other manner, so as long as you are not Prohibited form Owning, Possessing, Carrying, Transfering, or Transporting them in accordance with Federal and State Law.
Open Carry is Legal in Montana, and Concealed Carry is Legal in UnIncorporated Areas, beyond: Cities, Towns, Logging Mine Camps, etc..
Open Carry can not be Infringed in Montana by Local Governments which Enact the provisions as stated in Sentence 1 of this Thread, BUT they can Prohibit you from entering those Locations with a Firearm at all.
Most, but not all, of Montanas' Jurisdictions have chosen NOT to Enact those Optional Off-Limit Locations.
Please read Montana Law 45-8-351 AND Montana Law 45-8-316.