• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Travelling by vehicle while OCing...

boyscout399

Legal solution: Possess a CFP (unacceptable from an ideological standpoint because it is basically a tax on a natural right)

Common-sense solution (for an LEO): don't detain/arrest/prosecute an individual for moving a gun from holster to containment simply because they have technically violated a law while attempting to comply with two or more other laws.

Common-sense solution for the individual: Move the gun from holster to container where you won't be observed. Normally not a problem, but there is always the possibility for unexpected surreptitious observation.

Real-world implications: Somewhere, there is an LEO who will arrest you for this. Its a real, legitimate, legal problem. Every cop I know understands that you are technically breaking the law when (without a Maine or reciprocal out of state CWP) you put a gun into a container, and every cop I know wouldn't think about actually pursuing this. It doesn't mean there isn't someone in their department who wouldn't run with it for whatever reason.

My thinking (personal opinion) is that if someone actually tried to arrest you and press charges for this, they would be laughed out of the courtroom, and if they weren't, you could probably push it at least as far as the state supreme court and secure some form of minor victory for carry rights on state constitutional grounds.

Of course in the meantime you would be out on bail conditions, stripped of your 2A rights, and suffer all the other consequences of trying to live a normal life with criminal charges pending. No one wants to be that guy because, hey, it ******* sucks.

You forgot another simple solution available to us in Maine: Don't Conceal the Firearm... Maine allows for openly visible firearms in the vehicle without a problem. This removes the conundrum.

hightecrebel

Alright, I've pretty much decided I'll be bringing my shoulder holster with me in three days after I check my M9 into storage. Works perfectly since I'll be carrying a 92FS.

Claytron

im not sure i really see the predicament here, can someone recite the exact portion of the law they are referring to and exactly how they feel its being broken by placing a firearm into a locked car trunk in order to transport it?

Once you close the trunk door i would imagine that would be considered innaccessible and out of reach seeing as how you would need to unlock it in order to retrieve it, as opposed to just lifting your shirt or pant leg to retrieve a pistol concealed there.

Is the locked trunk area of a car you are driving considered your "person's person"?

boyscout399

im not sure i really see the predicament here, can someone recite the exact portion of the law they are referring to and exactly how they feel its being broken by placing a firearm into a locked car trunk in order to transport it?

Once you close the trunk door i would imagine that would be considered innaccessible and out of reach seeing as how you would need to unlock it in order to retrieve it, as opposed to just lifting your shirt or pant leg to retrieve a pistol concealed there.

Is the locked trunk area of a car you are driving considered your "person's person"?

Once it's locked in the trunk you're legal. How do you get it into the trunk though? If you place the gun in the locked container, then place the container in the trunk, you've broken the law from the time you concealed the gun until the time you remove yourself from access. There is no possible way to get it locked in the trunk without breaking the law to get it there.

Claytron

Once it's locked in the trunk you're legal. How do you get it into the trunk though? If you place the gun in the locked container, then place the container in the trunk, you've broken the law from the time you concealed the gun until the time you remove yourself from access. There is no possible way to get it locked in the trunk without breaking the law to get it there.

So you are saying that putting your firearm inside a locked container, similar to the box you would get when buying the gun, and carrying it to the car is considered concealing it? If so how are we able to buy a gun and walk to our car from the store to transport it?

At which point are you considering a person to "have access" and likewise what dictates "not having access"?

Also, are you talking about putting it into a locked container while the gun is loaded or unloaded?

boyscout399

So you are saying that putting your firearm inside a locked container, similar to the box you would get when buying the gun, and carrying it to the car is considered concealing it? If so how are we able to buy a gun and walk to our car from the store to transport it?

At which point are you considering a person to "have access" and likewise what dictates "not having access"?

Also, are you talking about putting it into a locked container while the gun is loaded or unloaded?

The way the Title 25 Sec 2001-A is written, there is no exception for a firearm being transported from a dealer, so yes, walking from the store to our car with an encased firearm is violating Title 25 Sec 2001-A if you don't have a CCW permit recognized in Maine. I'm not saying that there is any LEO in Maine that would be dumb enough to sit outside of Cabelas and arrest anyone coming out with a gun case for carrying a concealed weapon, I'm only saying that it does in fact break the letter of the law.

As far as loaded or unloaded is concerned, it doesn't matter. Loaded in a vehicle would be unlawful under Title 12 Sec 11212, but Title 25 Sec 2001-A has no distinction between loaded and unloaded and that's the statute that's violated every time someone carries a cased gun to their car.

Case law would dictate where the border of "having access" and "not having access" would fall. I am not fluent in where case law has determined this line to be. Title 25 Sec 2001-A doesn't mention "having access" it mentions "about the person's person" and I believe that a case in your hand would definitely constitute "about the person's person"

Claytron

The way the Title 25 Sec 2001-A is written, there is no exception for a firearm being transported from a dealer, so yes, walking from the store to our car with an encased firearm is violating Title 25 Sec 2001-A if you don't have a CCW permit recognized in Maine. I'm not saying that there is any LEO in Maine that would be dumb enough to sit outside of Cabelas and arrest anyone coming out with a gun case for carrying a concealed weapon, I'm only saying that it does in fact break the letter of the law.

As far as loaded or unloaded is concerned, it doesn't matter. Loaded in a vehicle would be unlawful under Title 12 Sec 11212, but Title 25 Sec 2001-A has no distinction between loaded and unloaded and that's the statute that's violated every time someone carries a cased gun to their car.

Case law would dictate where the border of "having access" and "not having access" would fall. I am not fluent in where case law has determined this line to be. Title 25 Sec 2001-A doesn't mention "having access" it mentions "about the person's person" and I believe that a case in your hand would definitely constitute "about the person's person"

i guess we really do need a better definition of "about a person's person", i couldnt find one good enough to help me understand exactly what it means.

Heres a situation: You open carry your pistol on your hip while carrying your lockable gun case to your car, you open the trunk and put the gun case in. You then open the gun case while its sitting in the trunk and proceed to put the gun into the case, shut it an lock it, then shut the trunk. Seeing how you were never holding the case while the gun was inside of it, would that still be considered "about the person's person"?

boyscout399

i guess we really do need a better definition of "about a person's person", i couldnt find one good enough to help me understand exactly what it means.

Heres a situation: You open carry your pistol on your hip while carrying your lockable gun case to your car, you open the trunk and put the gun case in. You then open the gun case while its sitting in the trunk and proceed to put the gun into the case, shut it an lock it, then shut the trunk. Seeing how you were never holding the case while the gun was inside of it, would that still be considered "about the person's person"?

You were touching it while you closed it. Even if for a fraction of a second, you broke the law.

I'm not positive, but I believe "about your person" means within reach.

Claytron

You were touching it while you closed it. Even if for a fraction of a second, you broke the law.

I'm not positive, but I believe "about your person" means within reach.

you may be touching it but you are not carrying it, if the law says you cannot have something "about your person's person" id take that to mean that it cant be on your body, as "person" has a legal definition in this case to mean your actual literal self. Like most of these laws they arent written very clearly and its easy to get hung up on a phrase like "about the person's person", and i think the word that really needs to be defined is "about".

In my eyes "about the person's person" means to have something on your physical body(your person's person) that is "owned" or controlled by your legal identity (your person), which is confusing as hell but thats how i interpret it.

boyscout399

you may be touching it but you are not carrying it, if the law says you cannot have something "about your person's person" id take that to mean that it cant be on your body, as "person" has a legal definition in this case to mean your actual literal self. Like most of these laws they arent written very clearly and its easy to get hung up on a phrase like "about the person's person", and i think the word that really needs to be defined is "about".

In my eyes "about the person's person" means to have something on your physical body(your person's person) that is "owned" or controlled by your legal identity (your person), which is confusing as hell but thats how i interpret it.

"On your person" would be on your physical body. "about" is defined by Princeton on Google as "in the area or vicinity." Cambridge defines "about your person" as "in a pocket, bag, or something else that you are holding" If you're touching the case, you're holding it... I can't find any case law in Maine, but Texas courts have ruled that "about your person" includes areas within your immediate reach including the passenger compartments of vehicles. source

Claytron

"On your person" would be on your physical body. "about" is defined by Princeton on Google as "in the area or vicinity." Cambridge defines "about your person" as "in a pocket, bag, or something else that you are holding" If you're touching the case, you're holding it... I can't find any case law in Maine, but Texas courts have ruled that "about your person" includes areas within your immediate reach including the passenger compartments of vehicles. source

so with more than one definition of a word, which do you go with? How do you find the right one? And when you say that touching something is considered holding somethiing, is that your assumption or is that the definition by law?

it seems like, even if a cop knew about this law and decided to arrest you or fine you for it, he would have to dig pretty deep in order to make it seem like you did anything wrong. even though it seems pretty clear its not something most people would be risking anything by doing, it still should be better defined.

boyscout399

so with more than one definition of a word, which do you go with? How do you find the right one? And when you say that touching something is considered holding somethiing, is that your assumption or is that the definition by law?

it seems like, even if a cop knew about this law and decided to arrest you or fine you for it, he would have to dig pretty deep in order to make it seem like you did anything wrong. even though it seems pretty clear its not something most people would be risking anything by doing, it still should be better defined.

The definition for "about" is pretty consistent.

Merrium Webster In the vicinity.

Dictionary.com On or near (one's person)

Encarta At hand

American Heritage in the vicinity; near

About the person means near the person. In the vicinity of the person. It does not have to be held or on the person to be about them. It only has to be near them. Within reach is definitely "about the person"

Butch00

The only thing I look at is: The U.S. Constitution says " Your right to bear arms shall not be infringed"
and The Maine Constitution says "Your right to bear arms shall never be questioned"
The Constitutions are the Law...any thing the state does has to be in line with that or its void.

boyscout399

The only thing I look at is: The U.S. Constitution says " Your right to bear arms shall not be infringed"
and The Maine Constitution says "Your right to bear arms shall never be questioned"
The Constitutions are the Law...any thing the state does has to be in line with that or its void.

I agree with that wholeheartedly. However, I think there is a proper way and an improper way to fix the problem. Going through the courts, and the legislature would be the proper way. Ignoring the illegal law and carrying against it would be the improper way. In that situation, you're less likely to win your case, more likely to spend significant time in jail, and less likely to get public support of your views.

Butch00

Why do people keep wanting to go to court, courts are set up to cost you a lot of time and money, and give you the illusion of justice.... Because of that and because The State and towns and cities are (Artificial Individual/Corporations) and you can file civil claims against the individual employees that violate your rights. If a cop has to pay a claim out of his pocket do you think he will want to violate someone else's rights.
I think a lot of people are wasting their time ignoring the corporate aspect, Towns and Cities have charters and when in violation of those charters, claims can be filed against the Mayors, Town managers, and council members...Personally. There is a lot of information on civil process.....27 CFR sec 72.11 All crimes in the United States are Commercial....This has been so since 1933.....HJR 192.