Thread: Open Carry Meetup Getting Media Attention 11/6

Open Carry Meetup Getting Media Attention 11/6

Hey guys, just posting this from over on the meetup group. Seems that the media has sparked interest in our meetup today last minute. The meetup group is recommended to not attended due to the heightened awareness by the media and Cary PD. I for one am debating on going, i mean what better time to help promote safe and legal firearms ownership and legal open carry. However the recent stories of Police harassment and just the nature of the town of Cary have me a little nervous.

Here is the news article:

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?se...cal&id=7767583
    Last edited by Maverick9110e; 11-06-2010 at 08:12 AM.

mattwestm
    I view this as a good thing. Now maybe people who didn't know about are cause are willing to help out. Every time someone comes into my work OCing, I tell them about the forum.

I've personally decided not to go simply because i can't afford for anything to go awry. If for some God forbid stupid reason goes wrong. The only firearm i have available to carry i can not afford to have it confiscated because of some cop on a power trip, as seems to be occurring as of recent. It was given to me by my grandfather who passed away a long time ago. But all those going you've got my support and i'll be watching the news!!
    Last edited by Maverick9110e; 11-06-2010 at 05:09 PM.

I wish I was over there to go.

Maverick, I definitely sympathize as if I was there and going, I would NOT be carrying my primary.

mattwestm
    I've got an idea. Go to a sporting goods store or WalMart and buy an airsoft gun. It won't cost any more than $20 and the holster should cover up the orange tip.

Quote Originally Posted by mattwestm View Post
    I've got an idea. Go to a sporting goods store or WalMart and buy an airsoft gun. It won't cost any more than $20 and the holster should cover up the orange tip.
    I'd recommend against, for at least these two reasons:

1. There are often statutes against airsoft guns that do not apply to actual handguns.

2. An airsoft gun isn't gonna be worth a whole lot if you actually need it. My number one reason for carry is protection.

In the case of not wanting to jeopardize the weapon you have, I would go to the event without it. Just showing up will give you an opportunity to learn and be available to support those who did carry to the event. I seriously doubt anyone would belittle you for not carrying at this point. As far as I know, no medals are handed out for carrying a weapon, nor are the non-carriers branded with a red "X" on the fore head. You can be supportive just with your presence. Remember, its about turnout, education, mutual support and public awareness. Not to gang up and display weapons.

Git over there fore the pie's all gone.

Quote Originally Posted by jtrider View Post
    In the case of not wanting to jeopardize the weapon you have, I would go to the event without it. Just showing up will give you an opportunity to learn and be available to support those who did carry to the event. I seriously doubt anyone would belittle you for not carrying at this point. As far as I know, no medals are handed out for carrying a weapon, nor are the non-carriers branded with a red "X" on the fore head. You can be supportive just with your presence. Remember, its about turnout, education, mutual support and public awareness. Not to gang up and display weapons.

Git over there fore the pie's all gone.
    +1. Just showing up to show support without OCing will be good, especially considering the press coverage this apparently has.

Also, this might be pointless as the dinner may well be over.

This was total BULLSH*T that you guys who were afraid of media presence and the town of Cary's reputation decided not to come.

I think I saw 25 rsvp's on the meetup page earlier and there were maybe 6-7 people OC'ing? I didn't exactly count but it was far from the number who said they'd be there.

What the hell were you so afraid would happen, knowing full and well that you would be righteous by any and all applicable NC law??

I'm sorry but if tonight was any real indication of fortitude I've got serious concerns.
    "In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain

I don't bother with pragmatic statistics while discussing my constitutional rights. The issue is far less complex, to me. Free men should be able to act like free men.

Quote Originally Posted by Smith45acp View Post
    This was total BULLSH*T that you guys who were afraid of media presence and the town of Cary's reputation decided not to come.

I think I saw 25 rsvp's on the meetup page earlier and there were maybe 6-7 people OC'ing? I didn't exactly count but it was far from the number who said they'd be there.

What the hell were you so afraid would happen, knowing full and well that you would be righteous by any and all applicable NC law??

I'm sorry but if tonight was any real indication of fortitude I've got serious concerns.
    Hey man, take it easy. Not everyone's got the confidence, and believe it or not, there are more important things than the OC dinner? Especially those who responded who may not have known about the Cary OC ban on public property that includes sidewalks. Granted, those that responded should've been there, or at least given cancellation notice, but chill.

How bad was it? Also, if you want to plan one for Dec/Jan, I'll try to make it. If I help decide when it will be, I will be there barring serious unforeseen circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by sultan62 View Post
    Not everyone's got the confidence, and believe it or not, there are more important things than the OC dinner? .
    Yeah that's what I'm saying. The lack of confidence in doing something perfectly legal is disappointing to me.

And it's not about the dinner being important at all I didn't say that. It's about changing your mind about going based on the updates.

Look I'm no Rosa Parks but I do find her inspiring.

I speak plainly and honestly I'm not trying to be a dick
    "In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain

I don't bother with pragmatic statistics while discussing my constitutional rights. The issue is far less complex, to me. Free men should be able to act like free men.

My bet that a lot of people did not go was from the person who set up the meet advising people not to go. and i quote:

The original purpose of this group was to encourage the safe and legal open carry of firearms by creating a friendly environment where new open carriers would be comfortable. Now that tomorrow's event has been announced to the world, it is entirely possible Cary PD may have officers on scene. This, combined with the guaranteed media presence, seems like a less than ideal situation for new open carriers.

So again, my personal recommendation is that those who had RSVPd for the event tomorrow no longer plan on attending. We can easily reschedule another event later in November or December that won't have a media presence and will be a far more positive environment for new open carriers.

While i realize that Carrying on the Chic-fil-a property is legal, due to the town's attitude and how law enforcement tends to be, such as deciding that the sidewalk you were on while you were on the way to the resturant was techinically public property then they'll just cite you anyway. My point is, if the police are going to try and make a point they will FIND something to trump you up on. Is this right? NO WAY IN HELL! Can i personally take the risk of getting in the middle of that game tonight. NO. Because while you and I both are aware what i am doing is legal, can you say with 100% certainty i will not be harassed by law enforcement? No. You can not. And i personally can not monetarily afford to fight such unjust action should it occur.
    Was this REALLY the time and place to make a stand or the proper way to do it? Maybe yes, Maybe no. But the bottom line is that the entire group was getting together in the first place to help people understand and become more familiar with Open Carrying. Due to all of the circumstances surrounding it, the event advisories went as they did.
    If you feel the need to hold rally's and meet's to protest the laws of something then i suggest you might want to try and find another group or venue to do so.
    I am all for defending our rights, and doing something about it. That is not what this group, or this dinner was about.

The more people that show up to these events, especially when in places like Cary, the easier it is for me to peacefully carry my gun when I don't have a bunch of like minded, educated witnesses around. There was now way in hell anyone was going to get arrested it was a gross overreaction

The OC dinners aren't about defending our rights? If I believed that I wouldn't come out.

It's not about defending our rights, it's about exercising them. Do i think there was a good chance someone was going to get arrested? No, your right. But was it likely the way things have been going? Yes.
    Regardless, the point of the dinner was to get new OC'ers more comfortable with carrying, last night was not such a time for that. I honestly feel that educating the public and "defending" our rights are more of a by-product of that meetup. Otherwise it would be a rally or a protest and not a meetup.

Do i think there was a good chance someone was going to get arrested? No, your right. But was it likely the way things have been going? Yes.
    No flip flopping to see here folks, move along now...

Again I'll definitively say no way was that happening bro

Maybe the next "meetup", being nothing whatsoever like a rally or protest of any sort, could be held in someone's backyard where it's safe.

I'll bring the marshmallows and of course good cheer!
    Last edited by Smith45acp; 11-07-2010 at 02:02 PM.

I think that if I lived anywhere near this area, that night, I

1) Would of shown up wearing a 2A Shirt
    2) Had my empty holster on my hip
    3) Had plenty of the NC Pamplets to hand out to help educate
    4) Enjoyed some great chicken from my favorite fast food restaraunt & great fellowship with other people with some similar interests
    5) Wouldn't look down on anyone who didn't show for fear of harrassment, since it happens everyday, all over the place.
    "God, Guns, & Guts Made America, Lets Use All 3!!!"

http://www.dantcathy.com/

The CEO's blog. I posed the question to him. Probably get bumped faster than my comment of their FB page.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    http://www.dantcathy.com/

The CEO's blog. I posed the question to him. Probably get bumped faster than my comment of their FB page.
    Where did you post it?
    "They don't give a damn about any trumpet playing band
    It ain't what they call rock and roll
    And the Sultans...
    Yeah the Sultans, they play Creole"

OCDO Member
    NCGO Member

Quote Originally Posted by sultan62 View Post
    Where did you post it?
    I could not find it either.

I must have plucked a nerve. They've completely cut out the comment section!
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

You can comment on individual posts, but there was no 'comments' section of the website when I checked.
    "They don't give a damn about any trumpet playing band
    It ain't what they call rock and roll
    And the Sultans...
    Yeah the Sultans, they play Creole"

OCDO Member
    NCGO Member