• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What Do You Do For Real-World Training?

The Expert

I just watched this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QjZY3WiO9s) and while I know the entire thing is rigged it does make the point that you need to get some serious training...not just standing at a range shooting paper targets.

What do ya'll do for training? Flying out to Gunsite or Frontsight for training is, financially, not an option for me...so I need suggestions that are local.

I was thinking IDPA, but anything that is framed as a competition seems to be less than ideal to me...but may there's value there?

Michigander

In regards to real world applicable shooting skill which can be mastered with less than weekly practice, this shows the basis of a good start.

http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=46614

Gunsight and the other Jeff Cooper-ish sight picture shooting stuff doesn't transition well from competition to real world. Very very few people you will ever meet will claim to having been able to see their sights in a shootout or simunitions fight. It contradicts instincts, and you likely won't be able to overcome the adrenalin rush screaming at you to point shoot. If you like sight picture shooting up close and can devote weekly intensive practice to it, go for it. Otherwise planning to "focus on your front sight" is suicidally stupid.

The Expert

Thanks for posting the link to that. I even found both the original manuals that were referenced in that breakdown in Public Domain ebook format here:

1) Kill or Get Killed - http://www.scribd.com/doc/2063198/Kill-or-Get-Killed
2) Shoot To Live - http://tinyurl.com/ShootToLive

Now I'm trying to figure out where to get some real training. I'm on observational learner when it comes to gun tactics. Trying to replicate from the page is not one of my strong points.

Michigander

The one and only shooting combat instructor I can recommend, at least in this region, is Ian Kinder and those who work with him with at the live safe academy. They are among the best available anywhere. They regularly use airsoft, simunitions, and pads to very well simulate violent encounters. On top of that, it is a very respectful classroom environment, completely lacking idiotic machismo which plagues far too many shooting "classes". They are extremely good at activating fighting instincts through rather intense physical encounters, which in the end is the very best way to learn what will work for you and what won't. I would describe the prices for the courses as quite fair and reasonable.

www.livesafeacademy.com

Most of his instruction is unarmed classes at Oakland Community College. But he regularly does armed classes as well. Emailing them directly to find out course information would be a good way to get the info on everything that is available. That will also get you put on their email list if you'd like. Also note that Ian posts information about some of his classes on MGO.

Last edited:

The Expert

Thank you sir.

By the way, I was reading through this second book Shooting to Live and thought everyone here would probably love this little chestnut of wisdom...

"Without adequate knowledge of its use, there can be few things so purposeless and dangerous as a pistol. Adequate knowledge only comes from competent instruction. If you have never received such instruction and are not prepared to do so, do not buy a pistol, or if you own one already, surrender it to the police. That will help lighten the burden of their cares."

My guess is that most of the people in America who are buying pistols would fall into this later category and should start lining up to turn in their handguns at the local precinct.

TheQ

A few things to observe and take away from the OP video.

1. Training is important. I won't be arrogant enough to say I'm ready, but I do practice. I practice drawing, I practice combat accuracy, I read. I keep an awareness of cover in situations I am in. I'm getting better.

2. Concealed carry doesn't work. A few of these boobs couldn't even get their weapon out. I can only think of one tactical defensive advantage of concealed carry* and it doesn't apply to the scenario in the video.

3. ABC is an example of a Liberal media network+. They would have you believe you are better off being one of the sheep running around screaming than having at least a shot of neutralizing the target.

All just my $.02. Other than that, I'll be watching this thread to see what resources are talked about.

* One advantage of concealed carry I can conceive for defensive purposes is if you have a firearm in a jacket pocket you can hold a suspicious person at gun point without assaulting them, unlike open carry.

+ John Stossel, a Libertarian who once had a job on ABC's 60 minutes admitted he struggled in the Liberal, left leaning environment, environment of ABC.