• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Got scolded today

sultan62

I'd consider myself right libertarian and wouldn't bat an eye at someone smoking marijuana. I absolutely think it should be legal, though I do not and would not partake.

mahkagari

The Yakooza flamboyantly setting up shop in China town type settings, and other places like Chinese restaurants is a great example. Many come here not getting it at all, largely believing that like it is back home, the American people prefer organized crime to having to deal with police. And again, San Francisco is a great example, because you can find yakooza symbols on store fronts to signify their protection by the local yakooza punks,

Yakuza's Japanese. Do you mean Triad?

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
How did pot get in here?

My bad... sorry.:lol: But, I did try to keep it OT by bringing up an OC incident...:uhoh:

Oh, btw, "left libertarian" (ll) is not differentiated from "libertarian"(l) or "right libertarian" (rl) based on the MJ issue. Rather, left libertarians tend to hold large corporations as "guilty" as "The Government" in regards to violating the soverieignty of the individual. Also, ll's tend to find issue with the "absolute good" rl's assign to property rights and private contracts. (Yes, this is an oversimplification, but...)
And... I am OCing at this very moment (my lame attempt of keeping this OT of OC)

Last edited:

Bailenforcer

You are such a nice person. I may have been tempted to invite her to return to her country if she liked it better.

I went to Meijers to get a furnace filter since they have never given me a hassle about open carry. got into the parking lot and this little old Asian woman started hollering at me about how this was not allowed in her country and how dare I offend her blah blah blah. I told her if she thinks I am breaking the law call the police I will wait until they arrive, she turned and walked away.

Bailenforcer

HUH?!?

Am I missing the jump from OC to pot? I am lost....

I'd consider myself right libertarian and wouldn't bat an eye at someone smoking marijuana. I absolutely think it should be legal, though I do not and would not partake.

Bronson

My girlfriend is half Korean and she had some cousins vistiting this summer. We took the more adventurous one out shooting and she had a great time. I OCed the rest of the day and she asked if it was ok. She then said if anybody would try that in Korea the police would show up with guns drawn and take them away or shoot them...then she said she wished she could live in the U.S. :D

When people jump into my life unbidden I usually point off at some random object and say "Hey, what's that over there? Maybe that's your business, maybe you should go pay attention to that."

Bronson

Haz.

My girlfriend is half Korean and she had some cousins vistiting this summer. We took the more adventurous one out shooting and she had a great time. I OCed the rest of the day and she asked if it was ok. She then said if anybody would try that in Korea the police would show up with guns drawn and take them away or shoot them...then she said she wished she could live in the U.S. :D

When people jump into my life unbidden I usually point off at some random object and say "Hey, what's that over there? Maybe that's your business, maybe you should go pay attention to that."

Bronson

Sadly, since the firearms ban legislated and rammed through by the Howard Liberal Government and backed by the country party, its the same Down Under now. Anyone seen carrying, OC. or CC, any type of firearm will bring the SWAT team down upon them and if any resistence is show, Bang, your tazored, capsicum sprayed or if these dont stop you, your dead. And were are supposed to be a free democratic country, where you are fined for not voting. How democratic is ZAT? Haz.

Last edited:

PT111

When most people travel or move out of the area that they are accustomed to they expecct the new area to be much like their old area. Asians moving to the US take time to become accustomed to the changes. Americans traveling to Europe get upset when things are not like what it was back home. When Southerns travel up North we get upset that we can't find sweet tea on the menu of any restaurant. All of this is natural, expected and we can't deny it but should work at accepting that we are in a new country or area and things are different.

The biggest problem with this I see is if an American travels to Europe, Asia etc. we are expected to adjust to their customs and ideas. However when someone from Asia, Iraq etc. travels or moves to America we are expected to adjust to their ideas. Why should we have to print government form in Spanish or any other language than English. That is the biggest difference and one of the reasons that Americans traveling abroad expect things to not be so different. We have to adapt so why shouldn't they. The Asian lady in the OP could have called the police and they would have taken her complaint seriously. If if were reversed then then tough luck for the OP. When the POTUS goes to a foreign country he has to respect their customs. No pork on the menu. When a foreign dignitary visits the White House we respect theirs, still no pork on the menu.

stainless1911

Banned
I agree with the foreign languages thing. The mexicans refused to integrate into our culture like everyone else did when they came here, and after 911, the government added the islamic language to many of our documents out of fear. IMO, with the loss of our rights with the patriot act and other similar failures, the terrorists were allowed to win the war they started. They accomplished more than they ever dreamed possible.

I would make it a misdemeanor offense for a citizen to be caught speaking a foreign language in this country. Deportation, if it was spoken by their children if born here.

Last edited:

NRAMARINE

How dare you offend her? How dare she critisize the very freedoms she came here for. This is exactly what's destroying our society. People are so tolerant of other people's cultures being imported here, that they cannot see that that tolerance only goes one way. If she likes her old country so much I'll buy her a one way ticket. This is America, get with the program or GTFO.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
I agree with the foreign languages thing. The mexicans refused to integrate into our culture like everyone else did when they came here, and after 911, the government added the islamic language to many of our documents out of fear. IMO, with the loss of our rights with the patriot act and other similar failures, the terrorists were allowed to win the war they started. They accomplished more than they ever dreamed possible.

I would make it a misdemeanor offense for a citizen to be caught speaking a foreign language in this country. Deportation, if it was spoken by their children if born here.

So since I sometimes am out and about and I switch into German with those who speak the language, I should be charged with a misdemeanor? What about the times I say "Gesundheit" when someone sneezes... or does there need to be a certain number of words used? And... do "dead" languages count? If so, the local Catholics who still use Latin during Mass should be careful... or would they be exempt under religious freedom?
And... although I was born here, as were my parents and my children, they (my children) should be deported for speaking another language? Who would take them? Having been born here, and not having any other country serving as a home other than the US, I don't think that there is any other country that would take my kids just because the US wants to kick one of their own citizens out of the country. Besides, the US Constitution details how one may lose citizenship... and I don't see "speaking another language" listed.
BTW, don't take my comments above as a statement of support for those who move here from another country and refuse to learn the language. Yes, it still is a little hard for me to understand as there is no way that I would choose to live in a country without at least a basic, conversational knowledge of the local language. Heck, I won't even travel somewhere that I can't order a meal or ask for directions. Unless you want to appear "childish", I would suggest having a basic understanding before even stepping foot in the country.
I also agree with those who don't like the tax money that is spent providing information in Spanish, Vietnamese, Creole, etc for those who don't speak English... let those who need such assistence hire a translator if they need help. To suggest policing people's native tongue to the point of deportation is just as silly as visitors here demanding that all government documents be translated into their native tongue.

In my meager attempt to keep this post at least minimally OT... I OC'd at church today... no one cared. :D

stainless1911

Banned
Ok ok, I see your point, but its incredibly irritating to me when I see people running around babbling away, usually mexicans and muslims, who don't care enough about our country and our ways to even bother making an effort. When I see a (for instance) hispanic chattering away with their 6 year old, I just want to ship them off to their own land, they obviously don't want our ways, so let them go home and have it the way they wanted it. This seems to negatively affect the sovereignty of our nation when they do that. All people who live here immigrated, japanese, french, jews, africans, germans, italians and so on, all have integrated, learned the language, learned the dress and custom, except for the mexicans and muslims. What makes them so special? If you don't want to be an American, then don't, go home. I don't buy into the whole hyphenated society bit, african-american asian-american mexican-american and so on. If you want to come here then sure, come on over, remember your roots that's fine, but be American. If I want to go live in germany, I'll learn german, and out of respect for them, would try my best to stick with german, but when my kid was 4, her favorite thing was Dora the Explorer, and she was running around the house saying "hola" or "uno dos tres" and so on. Arrrrgh! When I was a kid, we had John Wayne, GiJoe and we were patriotic all american folks, now its dorka and political correct this and that. phooey!

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
Ok ok, I see your point, but its incredibly irritating to me when I see people running around babbling away, usually mexicans and muslims, who don't care enough about our country and our ways to even bother making an effort. When I see a (for instance) hispanic chattering away with their 6 year old, I just want to ship them off to their own land, they obviously don't want our ways, so let them go home and have it the way they wanted it. This seems to negatively affect the sovereignty of our nation when they do that. All people who live here immigrated, japanese, french, jews, africans, germans, italians and so on, all have integrated, learned the language, learned the dress and custom, except for the mexicans and muslims. What makes them so special? If you don't want to be an American, then don't, go home. I don't buy into the whole hyphenated society bit, african-american asian-american mexican-american and so on. If you want to come here then sure, come on over, remember your roots that's fine, but be American. If I want to go live in germany, I'll learn german, and out of respect for them, would try my best to stick with german, but when my kid was 4, her favorite thing was Dora the Explorer, and she was running around the house saying "hola" or "uno dos tres" and so on. Arrrrgh! When I was a kid, we had John Wayne, GiJoe and we were patriotic all american folks, now its dorka and political correct this and that. phooey!

Although I personally understand... I don't see where there is a problem that a person from some other country is shopping with someone else from that same country and they use a common language between them. My problem is when someone demands that help be provided with my money to avoid the natural consequences of being able to only speak their native language. The reason I have no problem with what you described is that language is the "tool" that adults use for cognition and, unless a non-native speaker wants to purposely reduce that ability, native language use is just a part of who they are. Even the immigrants who came over from all of the places you listed still tended, to some degree, to use the native language... usually just at home. Usually, though, parents did not use it in front of the children...it remained private as these parents wanted their children to assimilate. That has changed... the notion of a "melting-pot" is gone and has been replaced with a "salad-bowl". Ask most people who have immigrated here from Latin America if they plan to stay for the rest of their lives... and you often hear that they will go back at some point in the future. This is where the problem is... and this is why we have this lack of desire to assimilate.

Back OT: the woman's comments were rude and out of line. However, her opinion means nothing to me... especially when her only "basis" apparently is that her country does not allow OC. Asian countries tend to have severe restrictions on firearm ownership; apparently it works there. (I have heard that is changing, but, for arguments sake, assume it works). SO what! Asian countries tend to be extremely homogeneous and have strong social mores that often have more effect on behavior than any law could. In a sense, their society is, I believe, so different that to seemingly support that type of restriction here would only cause mass chaos. Remember too, that in most countries, constitutional rights are not what they are here. Often, the constitution can be amended at the will of the legislature or, as is the case in places such as due north, or due south from Detroit proper, the notion of a "Constitution" in the same sense as ours is non-existent

Last edited:

lil_freak_66

I went to Meijers to get a furnace filter since they have never given me a hassle about open carry. got into the parking lot and this little old Asian woman started hollering at me about how this was not allowed in her country and how dare I offend her blah blah blah. I told her if she thinks I am breaking the law call the police I will wait until they arrive, she turned and walked away.

was she about 50 and maybe 5'0 ?

i think shes the one who pointed a finger at me at a gas station(no alcohol)last night...if its the same one

Bailenforcer

The duplicity and doublespeak of the Feral Government is amazing at times. It promotes they can refuse to learn English and continue to divide the country in a Tower of Babel scenario where no one trusts or understands no one due to the language confusion, yet the Same Federal (Feral ) Government makes it a FEDERAL offense to use any language other than English when talking on CB or Ham radio.... Strange contradictions in thought processes.

Although I personally understand... I don't see where there is a problem that a person from some other country is shopping with someone else from that same country and they use a common language between them. My problem is when someone demands that help be provided with my money to avoid the natural consequences of being able to only speak their native language. The reason I have no problem with what you described is that language is the "tool" that adults use for cognition and, unless a non-native speaker wants to purposely reduce that ability, native language use is just a part of who they are. Even the immigrants who came over from all of the places you listed still tended, to some degree, to use the native language... usually just at home. Usually, though, parents did not use it in front of the children...it remained private as these parents wanted their children to assimilate. That has changed... the notion of a "melting-pot" is gone and has been replaced with a "salad-bowl". Ask most people who have immigrated here from Latin America if they plan to stay for the rest of their lives... and you often hear that they will go back at some point in the future. This is where the problem is... and this is why we have this lack of desire to assimilate.

Back OT: the woman's comments were rude and out of line. However, her opinion means nothing to me... especially when her only "basis" apparently is that her country does not allow OC. Asian countries tend to have severe restrictions on firearm ownership; apparently it works there. (I have heard that is changing, but, for arguments sake, assume it works). SO what! Asian countries tend to be extremely homogeneous and have strong social mores that often have more effect on behavior than any law could. In a sense, their society is, I believe, so different that to seemingly support that type of restriction here would only cause mass chaos. Remember too, that in most countries, constitutional rights are not what they are here. Often, the constitution can be amended at the will of the legislature or, as is the case in places such as due north, or due south from Detroit proper, the notion of a "Constitution" in the same sense as ours is non-existent

lil_freak_66

theres a law that requires english on CB radios?

sweet.

any laws making it unlawful for people to let minors on they're CB? lately ive noticed alot of kids around the age of 10 id assume on there making smart *** comments.