• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Got scolded today

dukenukum

I went to Meijers to get a furnace filter since they have never given me a hassle about open carry. got into the parking lot and this little old Asian woman started hollering at me about how this was not allowed in her country and how dare I offend her blah blah blah. I told her if she thinks I am breaking the law call the police I will wait until they arrive, she turned and walked away.

Michigander

You can't reasonably go to another country and bring your set of morals with you to impose on others. First generation Asian Americans are oftentimes rather set in their ways however. No where have I found better proof of this than san francisco. Nothing against Asians as an entire group of people, but many have some misconceptions about the way things are here. The Yakooza flamboyantly setting up shop in China town type settings, and other places like Chinese restaurants is a great example. Many come here not getting it at all, largely believing that like it is back home, the American people prefer organized crime to having to deal with police. And again, San Francisco is a great example, because you can find yakooza symbols on store fronts to signify their protection by the local yakooza punks, and you can walk down back alleys and hear sweat shop illegals working to make the stuff they sell in local stores. Everyone who knows the area knows what's up, and yet they get away with it. A considerable portion of the Asian American culture is a culture of extreme audacity.

She may be a fool for coming here if she doesn't like the freedom and responsibility of a constitutional republic, but with all of the things I said in mind, her attitude is in no way surprising to me.

Last edited:

SFCRetired

In most of the Asian countries, only the military, the police, and the bad guys have guns. In some of those countries, China is an example, people are, for the most part, almost hoplophobic. Just the sight of a holstered sidearm is enough to trigger near-hysterics.

How do I know this? My wife is Chinese and we regularly attend church services for the Chinese community here. The younger folks are very educable; the older ones not so much, but I am working on them. The first time I pulled out my pistols to clean and service them, my wife and step-daughter almost wet themselves. Daughter is back in China now, but she got pretty used to them. Wife is much more relaxed and is accepting of the fact that I carry.

I've taken one of the young men at church out to the range and he had a blast ever conquering his nervousness. I'm working on a couple more, both men and women.

What seems to work best in educating them is to point out the crimes that have occurred close by and to point out both the police response times and the court cases that have held that the police have no duty to protect the individual. You have to remember that many of these people come from societies where the police are the do-all, end-all when it comes protection and any kind of self-defense is severely frowned upon.

malignity

...got into the parking lot and this little old Asian woman started hollering at me about how this was not allowed in her country and how dare I offend her blah blah blah...

You are way more kind than I. I may have told her that this is the United States of America, and if she doesn't like our laws she can move back to her country.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
You can't reasonably go to another country and bring your set of morals with you to impose on others. First generation Asian Americans are oftentimes rather set in their ways however. No where have I found better proof of this than san francisco. Nothing against Asians as an entire group of people, but many have some misconceptions about the way things are here. The Yakooza flamboyantly setting up shop in China town type settings, and other places like Chinese restaurants is a great example. Many come here not getting it at all, largely believing that like it is back home, the American people prefer organized crime to having to deal with police. And again, San Francisco is a great example, because you can find yakooza symbols on store fronts to signify their protection by the local yakooza punks, and you can walk down back alleys and hear sweat shop illegals working to make the stuff they sell in local stores. Everyone who knows the area knows what's up, and yet they get away with it. A considerable portion of the Asian American culture is a culture of extreme audacity.

She may be a fool for coming here if she doesn't like the freedom and responsibility of a constitutional republic, but with all of the things I said in mind, her attitude is in no way surprising to me.

Whether she came here or was born and raised here is beside the point. Of course, I see her statements as merely ignorant ramblings, just as I would if those statements came from 9th generation American... and the fact that she brought "her country" into the conversation certainly makes her "country of origin" fair game. However, her statements are not limited to any particular background. When I lived in Germany, I met many Americans who seemed to be very "set in their ways" and willing to expound on their "set of morals"... willing "to impose on others". The US Government also officially seems very willing to do so... just ask the Europeans about their drug policy or even something as trivial as at what age people should be able to consume alcohol.
No, I think the mindset "guns are bad" is the issue... this belief from anyone is the focus.... whether the speaker is from "here", from "there", or from "anywhere".

Haz.

Hi SfCRetired.

"In most of the Asian countries, only the military, the police, and the bad guys have guns."

And Australia.

Hi stainless1911
"You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass." is a quote by Isoroku Yamamoto, Commander-in-Chief of the Imperial Japanese Navy during World War II."

I think it was he, or another Japanese commander who said the same about Australia. They actually sent in spies who reported that every Australian owned a firearm and knew how to use it. We are a walk in the park now if any country Asian country wanted to invad us. Millions of firearms have been banned, physically removed from the population and crushed. Haz.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
"You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass." is a quote by Isoroku Yamamoto, Commander-in-Chief of the Imperial Japanese Navy during World War II.

It has been declared this attribution is "unsubstantiated and almost certainly bogus, even though it has been repeated thousands of times in various Internet postings. There is no record of the commander in chief of Japan’s wartime fleet ever saying it.", according to Brooks Jackson in "Misquoting Yamamoto" at Factcheck.org (11 May 2009)

scot623

I would have told her, in my most PC voice...that I don't give 2 $hit$ what is allowed in 'her' country and I would hand her a $5 bill and tell her it's to go towards the purchase of a one way ticket back there.

There are thousands of immigrants who step foot off the airplane or boat and immediately consider the US 'their' country now and would die for her. Immigrants who come here with no desire to acclimate, learn the language or love this country have no place here. I certainly will not stand idly by when they try to tell me why 'their' country is better than mine.

Last edited:

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
i would have told her, in my most pc voice...that i don't give 2 $hit$ what is allowed in 'her' country and i would hand her a $5 bill and tell her it's to go towards the purchase of a one way ticket back there.

There are thousands of immigrants who step foot off the airplane or boat and immediately consider the us 'their' country now and would die for her. Immigrants who come here with no desire to acclimate, learn the language or love this country have no place here. I certainly will not stand idly by when they try to tell me why 'their' country is better than mine.

+1 & amen!

stainless1911

Banned
I would have told her, in my most PC voice...that I don't give 2 $hit$ what is allowed in 'her' country and I would hand her a $5 bill and tell her it's to go towards the purchase of a one way ticket back there.

There are thousands of immigrants who step foot off the airplane or boat and immediately consider the US 'their' country now and would die for her. Immigrants who come here with no desire to acclimate, learn the language or love this country have no place here. I certainly will not stand idly by when they try to tell me why 'their' country is better than mine.

Thank you sir.:cool:

TheQ

In most of the Asian countries, only the military, the police, and the bad guys have guns. In some of those countries, China is an example, people are, for the most part, almost hoplophobic. Just the sight of a holstered sidearm is enough to trigger near-hysterics.

Ironic if you consider who first made gun powder...

budlight

I went to Meijers to get a furnace filter since they have never given me a hassle about open carry. got into the parking lot and this little old Asian woman started hollering at me about how this was not allowed in her country and how dare I offend her blah blah blah. I told her if she thinks I am breaking the law call the police I will wait until they arrive, she turned and walked away.

Your way too nice. I would have advised her that she was confused and that this is the United States of America.....and then told her to go back to her country if she thinks it is so much better. Our founding fathers must be rolling over in their graves seeing how people our coming here and trying to dismantle what they built.

+1

Michigander

When I lived in Germany, I met many Americans who seemed to be very "set in their ways" and willing to expound on their "set of morals"... willing "to impose on others". The US Government also officially seems very willing to do so... just ask the Europeans about their drug policy or even something as trivial as at what age people should be able to consume alcohol. .

I am utterly in agreement. I have been against US imperialism and international stupidity since I was in my early teens.

Internationally, I personally don't feel like our country can boast a single thing. But here, when foreigners come here, I feel like I can speak with some authority in saying that they should honor our customs, just as I would honor theirs if I came to their country.

sultan62

Wow, you're generous.

I would've said "Here's a quarter, call someone who cares."

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
I am utterly in agreement. I have been against US imperialism and international stupidity since I was in my early teens.

Internationally, I personally don't feel like our country can boast a single thing. But here, when foreigners come here, I feel like I can speak with some authority in saying that they should honor our customs, just as I would honor theirs if I came to their country.

Like I said... I was not saying what she stated was "correct" and I also believe that what she did was not only wrong, it was bad form. I also would have probably responded much as you would. I was just saying such behavior is not limited to those who happen to be Asian. I used to listed to the tourists around Frankfurt say "At home I could get an extra-large Diet Coke"... "What, no free refills on my coffee!"; "I just want to order a *%*% Budweiser!"; "Doesn't anyone here speak *%#* American" and don't get me started about "Amis" not moving over to the right when being overtaken on the Autobahn. As a German-speaking American with a Germany-registered car living/working there at the time, I blended in enough that I usually passed as a German and wanted to distance myself from these representatives of the group known as "ugly Americans". (Germans knew that my accent was not from their area... but thought I was just from another part of their country... or so I was told)

Michigander...You have stated a few times your opinion that you consider yourself a libertarian, ; I figured that you would not act the way she did. I consider myself also libertarian, probably "left libertarian" on most issues and can't imagine walking up to someone smoking weed in an Amsterdam coffeeshop and telling them "in my country, you would be arrested" etc. Then again, under the same circumstances here in the US I can't imagine doing that, either. :)

Interesting aside: I actually carried OC (CZ75) in Germany for a few years (job requirement/ wore sweater and black pants, no badge or other markings saying that I had a permit, etc.). I went EVERYWHERE and no one, not one person ever said anything to me... well, other than a few people now and then who thought, "Er sei ein Polizist." But when I corrected them, they just said, "Ich entschuldige mich." and went merrily on their way. (BTW... does this forum prohibit posts in a foreign language?) :lol: