• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Who has handcuffs?

Trigger Dr

I own 2 sets of cuffs. The first I purchased when I went to work for Port Orchard PD in 1967, The second set I bought as a criminal investigator/special agent for US Gov.
The only time I ever used them when not working was to put one cuff through the open frame of my revolver and the other on the bar in the clothes closet to keep the gun safe from my kids friends. (before I had a safe).
Since retiring in 1998, I think the cuffs are still in my small safe with the wife's jewelry.

oneeyeross

Didn't Ted Bundy carry a revolver and a set of cuffs? Strange guy, that.

No, I don't have cuffs, no, I've never been trained in their use, no, I don't and never would, carry them.

If a cop ever saw them, I imagine the conversation would start out:

"Excuse me sir, but what are those for??"
"Uh, just in case I need them."
"Need them for what?"
"Uh, you know, the bad guys."

I think the conversation would go down hill from there....

USMC1911

Yes, I own Wrist Restraints (hand cuffs), several pr. actually. I carry a pr. every day at work. I am a Correctional Officer for the State of Washington, have been for over 22 years. I have applied Wrist Restrains on felons in both emergent and everyday situations. There is a proper way to apply Wrist Restrains, however in an emergent situation, just get them on ! Off duty I do not carry them; my only concern is the safety and security of myself and my loved ones. I will take cover, I will defend, I will observe and I will report what I have witnessed. If requested by LEO, I will assist in the detention of a felon/suspect.

Semper Fi

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
big heavy duty zip ties is what i have in the house

what he said.

If you are going to carry zip ties, stop carry handcuffs instead.

One zip tie around the neck and tug, YOUR DEAD!

Sorry if anyone is offended, but tough it is life and death.

So I am clear in my message, I do not recommend carrying handcuffs either.

Last edited:

devildoc5

If you are going to carry zip ties, stop carry handcuffs instead.

One zip tie around the neck and tug, YOUR DEAD!

Sorry if anyone is offended, but tough it is life and death.

So I am clear in my message, I do not recommend carrying handcuffs either.

I own SEVERAL pairs of handcuffs (used to work security for Chargers games, in the cheap seats, can you imagine HOW MANY people we had to "citizens arrest" in just one QUARTER of football??? Especially during a RAIDERS game?!!!!!!! :shocker: )

Have I carried them when not on the job? Sure to and from my girlfriends....J/K I have carried them once or twice in "civilian" life, however I have discovered that (I only have double cuff pouches ATM) the bulkiness of them, mixed in with the location I carry them from experience, makes it EXTREMELY uncomfortable to do certain everyday takes. I can honestly think about a few situations where one MIGHT benefit from being able to carry and utilize handcuffs EFFECTIVELY. One example would be the home invasion scenario, does anyone else want to have a loaded firearm pointed at someone for 10-15 mins while the police come and haul the garbage away? Let alone have that same loaded firearm pointed at someone when the cops DO get there? Doesn't exactly sound like a wise decision to me....

Trigger Dr

With all the responses, I would presume that my point has been made by several.
Carry restraints if you want, BUT know the proper way and time to use them.

Lammo

I don't own or carry cuffs (I don't think they would trust lawyers with them) but I do have and carry a key. As the story goes, a kid was brought cuffed from Juvenile detention into court but the CO didn't bring the key. When the judge saw the kid trying sign his plea statement behind his back he went ballistic (this particular judge was Naval Academy and very old school). As if that wasn't enough, later the same week it happened again, in front of the same judge (talk about peeing on the electric fence). A few days later I was in the Fugitive Sergeant's office and he had a whole box of keys sitting on his desk. I told George the story and he said take two, they're small. Never had to use it but some day I just might get to keep some poor CO from having his/her head handed to them.

crzyjarmans

detain

not sure about wa,but in nv if someone breaks into your house and you catch you must allow them to leave if they chose to,kind of sucks but thats the law

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
There are inherent dangers when cuffing someone by yourself and can put oneself into more danger then just holding at gun point while having them spread out on the ground and looking away from you until law enforcement arrives or even to leave and be a good witness, after all for most here we are all about our safety of ourselves and families.

Is it legal to have them, no doubt but as repeated in this and other forums so often, just because it is legal does not mean it is a good idea.

Thus far there has been those who have spoke on both sides of the issue, those who have years of experience and currently are in law enforcement recommend against in carrying cuffs as to the dangers that surround cuffing someone to those that have no or very little experience promoting such, even some commenting on with proper training.
Note again even with proper training those who have it still recommend against it.

Take pause, you are not law enforcement, it is not your job to apprehend not punish the criminal element, it is to protect you and your family.

Deleted_User

not sure about wa,but in nv if someone breaks into your house and you catch you must allow them to leave if they chose to,kind of sucks but thats the law

There are inherent dangers when cuffing someone by yourself and can put oneself into more danger then just holding at gun point while having them spread out on the ground and looking away from you until law enforcement arrives or even to leave and be a good witness, after all for most here we are all about our safety of ourselves and families.

Is it legal to have them, no doubt but as repeated in this and other forums so often, just because it is legal does not mean it is a good idea.

Thus far there has been those who have spoke on both sides of the issue, those who have years of experience and currently are in law enforcement recommend against in carrying cuffs as to the dangers that surround cuffing someone to those that have no or very little experience promoting such, even some commenting on with proper training.
Note again even with proper training those who have it still recommend against it.

Take pause, you are not law enforcement, it is not your job to apprehend not punish the criminal element, it is to protect you and your family.

2 words: UNLAWFUL IMPRISONMENT

Class "C" Felony

Last edited:

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
2 words: UNLAWFUL IMPRISONMENT

Class "C" Felony

Goose one of many issues, another would be, having to holster your weapon to cuff someone and in the process the opportunity to have them taken and you end up being cuffed, gun taken and either you or both you and your family at risk.

One needs to acknowledge with so many ex-cons on the streets, while incarcerated practiced on moves if being held at gun point and they have years to practice, and when it is all said and done, don't we all want ourselves and families to be home safe with our loved ones?

I know there are those out there with the concept, nope it would not happen to me, I can cuff anyone, I am the biggest baddest dude out there until you meet that one who is bigger and badder and quicker.

Deleted_User

Goose one of many issues, another would be, having to holster your weapon to cuff someone and in the process the opportunity to have them taken and you end up being cuffed, gun taken and either you or both you and your family at risk.

One needs to acknowledge with so many ex-cons on the streets, while incarcerated practiced on moves if being held at gun point and they have years to practice, and when it is all said and done, don't we all want ourselves and families to be home safe with our loved ones?

I know there are those out there with the concept, nope it would not happen to me, I can cuff anyone, I am the biggest baddest dude out there until you meet that one who is bigger and badder and quicker.

Great point. My high school football coach had a saying:

"When you're not training, someone is. When you meet them, they will win."

I don't necessarily mean train on this, but it should show we are not numero uno when it comes to all. I think we agree on this thread.