• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Do I, as an AD Military Member need a WA CPL? Doesn't reciprocity cover me here?

Lammo

It would be nice to get a read from the DOL, I sent them my previous question, hopefully we will hear some answers, and we'll get an official answer...

Like all of you, I just want to be protected ;-) I don't like that all of a sudden my gun becomes "concealed" as soon as I sit in the car... That's why OC doesn't feel too practical to me. The only time I've been assaulted in my adult life, was when I was in my car...

Cheers!

thomasdrs72

Seems to me that the answer is to go to the Pierce County Sheriff's Department (they contract with University Place), apply for a WA CPL fully explaining that you are active duty stationed in WA and see which permit they give you - - resident or non-resident. They will either issue you a permit for $55.25 or tell you you don't need one. If the latter, get it in writing and carry it with you right next to your FL permit. I don't know whether a non-resident permit looks different from a resident as I have never seen one (I have had my WA permit since about 1991 or 1992, when it was called a Concealed Weapon Permit). It also strikes me as odd that someone would be issued a "non-resident" permit that carries a Washington address (contrast my Utah permit which on it's face is non-resident as it carries my Washington address).

BTW: IAALBTCBCLABIAADPAACMAPP.

tat2ed_guy

I am in snohomish county and active duty. Resident of TX with TX DL and was issued resident CPL due to currently on orders to this state. I was told that as active duty on perm. orders I qualify as resident. Same with fishing and hunting licenses. They only needed a copy of my orders, proof that i was living here and a valid ID. and of course the 65.00 bucks..

thomasdrs72

I guess I'll ask the lawyers, considering I just renewed my FL permit in Aug ($117--7yrs--good in 33 states) I'm resisting the cashectomy...

But knowing that $55 only pays a good lawer for about 13 mins (after you've already blown $3k or more on his/her retainer). I recognize it may be smart money spent...

I am not a resident! (Is my face blue yet?) :uhoh:

Cheers!

oldkim

Resident

OP:

You may not consider yourself a resident.... but for many legal aspects - you are.

"Get a lawyer" what a joke. That is such a sad statement... I mean you know how much a retainer is? And the fees and hourly rate and the filings.... etc, etc.

It's $55.25 - done in about an hour and a wait of about a few weeks.

Is it worth your commission? You're a commissioned officer? Lead by example?

Just words from a fellow commissioned officer (well "ex" since I'm out).

Last edited:

Trigger Dr

Why not just make it SIMPLE??????
Get a WA ID ccard for $10, drive up to the Silverdale Kitsap County Sheriff substation, with a copy of your orders in hand, give the nice lady the money, get fingerprints taken (inkless),Drive home with Brand New WA CPL all in about a1/2 hour after you arrive.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
images

I KNOW I KNOW YOU ARE NOT A RESIDENT!

thomasdrs72

Silverdale Kitsap County Sheriff substation? Because if I am considered a resident, musn't I go to the local CLEO where I live? I don't live in Silverdale...

Leadership by example means finding the correct answer, and then abiding by the law. That's exactly what I'm trying to do...

Yes, I know how much lawyers cost... I also know that this is a question that could affect a huge number of AD military members stationed here. That said, when several of my friends are military JAGs, I can ask a question that could easily be elevated to the WAG for a good ruling without spending a dime.

If I had to pay a civilian lawyer, case closed, I cover my butt and go get the dang WA CPL. But here again, if your local law enforcement agency issues you "Resident" permit, and you are not a "Legal Resident" which I am NOT technically under state law, than it may not be worth the paper its printed on either...

Remember, its all about "Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of All Who Threaten It" :lol:

Cheers!

thomasdrs72

Gotcha... :lol: I just sent the email to my local JAG colleague... If its really necessary, I'll be visiting Silverdale :cool:

My wife likes shopping at Kohl's there anyway...

Cheers!

oldkim

Clear and hard cut.....

Thomasdrs72 -

As you know you will not a get a Hard Clear cut answer to cover "resident" for all the situations that have been brought up. Are you a resident or aren't you? It depends, in what context and so forth depending on situation.

For this purpose of obtaining or bypassing the wait period and to legally carry in WA (also as Active duty stationed here in WA) - you are classified as a resident so your FL carry license is invalid.

The residency issue is fluctuant since you are military. You get to enjoy somewhat..... both. I can see you are fighting it. I don't know why. It's $55.25 but I see you want to push it and get yourself a lawyer for the greater good....

Changing the current situation:
Yes, it would benefit the few that are from (states with reciprocity with WA):
Arkansas
Florida*

Louisiana
Michigan*
Mississippi
Missouri
North Carolina
Ohio
Oklahoma
Utah

http://www.atg.wa.gov/ConcealedWeapons/Reciprocity.aspx

Changing the current situation - It does not cover all 50 states.

Attorneys:
Just remember not all attorneys are the same. Yes, they went through a core curriculum but that does not mean they will know what the laws are for every situation. Meaning you don't hire a divorce attorney to help with a murder case. Well not frequently. It's the same for doctors - just because they are doctors doesn't mean you can see any doctor for brain surgery (or at least perform one).

If you have access to JAG officers and they can help you and are willing - good for you.

:banghead:

thomasdrs72

I'm just feeling feisty, that's all :exclaim:

It's just frustrating when I've already spent over $120 to get my shiny FL permit renewed this year (I just got it back mid-August) :banghead:

Now $20 for a WA ID card, and $55.25 for a WA CPL...

Isn't big gov't great? :banana:

I remember the day after my 21st birthday when I got my SD CPL for $10, and 10 minutes of my time... Man, those were the days! :cool:

---update---

I crafted a nice message and sent it to our JAG office, and to DOL. In the end, if I don't get a response before Monday I'll just take the trip to Silverdale... Nice town anyway!

Cheers!

Last edited:

amlevin

So wait a minute here? The fact that someone has VOLUNTEERED to serve their country (unlike some people who just sit on their mommy and daddys couch munching Fritos all day) all the sudden they are "illegals" and treated WORSE than anyone else?

You need to see what's in your laundry detergent that's causing you to be so irritable. I didn't say or even imply that they were "Just Like Illegals", I merely said that they were in the same line. Perhaps if there weren't so many Illegals sucking up the "bennies" there would be more left for those that deserve them, such as our Military and their Dependents.

Don't be so quick to jump to conclusions. Sometimes a simple statement is just that, a simple statement and has no hidden meaning.

thomasdrs72

That's probably a good enough reason for me... I updated my FL DL when I got here with my WA address (at least I attempted to) they sent it to my WA mailbox, with my FL address on it. Kinda strange, because previously when I moved to CO, they both updated and sent my new DL with my CO address on it...

My old FL resident permit had my FL address on it, but my new one doesn't have an address on it at all...

Oh well...

thomasdrs72

.... came back to my office and stamped them "ORIGINAL" and took them back to them.

Plus, if I wanted to, I am sure I could get my current Washington ID Card converted to an enhanced ID card for going into Canada.

Nice an "Original" stamp eh? You must work at the ASTC? :cool: Paaaperrrs? I don' need non steinking paayperrrs...

Last edited:

oneeyeross

Because it does NOT have a WA address on it.

But his orders assigning him to WA state are all he needs. And if the dealer won't take them, I'd be finding another FFL to deal with in the future.

I can't imagine having to jump through all those loops and hoops when it isn't necessary.

Last edited: