• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Education is the key to sucess

ctgunfreedom

I moved to Connecticut from New York City and was very happy when I found the state to be more gun friendly, at least from my point of view. I was very excited when I decided to get my pistol permit and even prouder that I would not be restricted like I was in NYC. I felt good about being able to uphold my Second Amendment Rights.

Well, I too had a problem as I am in Connecticut for Post-graduate education and was discussing getting my pistol permit and the next day was in the college police station for scaring some students as they overheard my conversation.

After my situation and reading the posts and the Hartford Advocate article I have realized that the big problem is public education. What can we do to educate the public? I know in the past posters allowed me to get my point across, you know you can have a picture of four people with open carry and then ask which one is the criminal and make it a point that none of them are. This is just how I feel at this time and as always I get frustrated on the un-education of our general public.

When I lived in NYC and would see someone with an open carry in a holster the last thought in my mind is that I would be in danger. No criminal that I have ever met spent the money to get holster for their pistol. I also think that some common sense would help the public as well, but that is where we come in.

Let me know what you all think?

Rich B

I cannot disagree with anything you said. The question is who is organizing the people to do it? We have many people and in this state (and forum) that are ready and enthusiastic to help, but we need to coordinate and work together.

Alex.EastHartford.

First of all welcome to CT. NY, NJ, MASS. Compare to CT is more stricter. but you said it. educating the public. I been doing that with a group that i join. membership is free. www.ccdl.us check it out and good luck. also CCDL is having a meeting 11/9/10 on tuesday start at 7:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. the directions are the website. hope to see you there. and two more last words- CARRY ON!

Alex

ctgunfreedom

Well, I am glad to see such a rapid response to my post. I agree that organization is the key as well as funding for such a project. I have become the same person that I used to hate, that would be the one that brings up an idea and afterwards says that he cannot help. It is definitely a project that I personally would like to undertake, but it will have to wait till I am done with my program.

Is there such a project underway yet? Is there funding for such a project?

KIX

The funny, albeit sad thing here, is all you were doing was talking about doing something completely legal.

What was the outcome with the school police?

Seems that rather than just letting you go, they should call back the people that made the complaint and educate them that you were doing NOTHING illegal.

Seems many people in academia seem to selectively endorse constitutional rights.

Jonathan

ctgunfreedom

Well, that is what seemed to have happened. I mean I took this seriously when I got the phone call to come in. The LEO had asked me a few questions and it appeared that the other student took what I said the wrong way, in fact, they spun a story that made me look like the next VT. I came in calm and understood where this was coming from, even though I did not want to be there. So overall, the LEO actually encouraged me to get my pistol permit and I am actively awaiting.

The other students did get a phone call and I am not sure what they were told directly, but the one student tried to explain his fears and worries and why he did what he did. I just left it as it was and told him that I understood why he did it and I am glad that he did it if he was that concerned. I was a little worried when he told me his father was the head of OEM in CT at one time, since I figured a person growing up under that roof should be more "gun aware".

Overall, I just left this knowing that anyone can take ANYTHING out of context and it is a result of lack of education. I would love to educate more people on this topic and also on guns in general. I think we only fear the things that we do not understand and by education we would encourage and promote the beliefs that I assume this forum supports.

I actually took my wife for my pistol safety class because she is apprehensive with guns. She loved it so much she also is getting her permit and has a nice .357 picked out already. Anyways, thank you guys for letting me vent this topic and I hope that when my time becomes more available that we can move this thought forward.