• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Something came out at Spanaway event. Is Open Carry a white thing?

blackmarine

Racism is still alive and still problematic in America. Your friends' sentiments are solid evidence of this.

My reckoning based on being around here for almost 4 years is that OC is almost entirely a "white thing," as your title suggests. If it is, that doesn't make it bad. But it does make it, uhm, deficient...

Y'know this reminds me of something I've thought about for a long time--What would happen if a significant number of blacks and Hispanic males living in the barrio/hood/ghetto in states where OC is legal all of a sudden started to OC? I'm talking about legal OC, of course.

How would the local populace react? The police? The news media? The local gangsta-types? The legislators?

I think it would be very interesting.

But however it would turn out, I agree with you--We need more blacks and Hispanics to open carry. Our goal should be to have about 26% of all OC to be done by blacks/Hispanics.

Whaddya think, guys?

So what your saying is, there needs to be some kind of quota. Where did you come up with the 26% figure ? Furthermore, as for some blacks starting their own OC thing, what's preventing them from doing so. Then what would all of you bleeding hearts say then. . . huh ??? Would a single white guy come out and say, "why are there no whites in your group, is it an all black thing". I think not.

sudden valley gunner

So what your saying is, there needs to be some kind of quota. Where did you come up with the 26% figure ? Furthermore, as for some blacks starting their own OC thing, what's preventing them from doing so. Then what would all of you bleeding hearts say then. . . huh ??? Would a single white guy come out and say, "why are there no whites in your group, is it an all black thing". I think not.

I wouldn't say it was a black thing but would love to be the "token" in a group like that......:lol:

blackmarine

I don't think the OP was talking about recruiting one or only a few "token" minorities. He was talking about recruiting MANY blacks and Hispanics.

Logically, adding MANY thousands of blacks and Hispanics to the OC camp will make it stronger because it will be more representative of contemporary America.

OTOH, adding MANY thousands of blacks and Hispanics would likely generate MANY more comments such as:

But let's face it, cumulatively, throughout our U.S. history, the amount and degree of racism against blacks utterly dwarfs the reverse discrimination. It's not even close to being close. I am ambivalent about reverse discrimination in a lot of cases. It's true that it exists. And will continue. Just like regular ole traditional racism...

I thought we were all the same ? I guess not.

.45ACPaddy

Door's open for every law abiding citizen to join, regardless of race. I'm not gonna start focusing on only asking any sort of minority to join, whether it be race, class, gender, orientation, religion, etc. I'm still gonna spread the word to EVERY law abiding citizen, regardless of race. If someone expresses concern because of their race, then sure, talk to them about it. But I don't think we need any sort of race quota. We just need more Americans to be informed, period. So what about race demographics? Who cares? What difference does it make? If I owned a business and needed to hire people, I wouldn't even have a place for someone to check what race they are on the application.

Bottom line is we don't need to get some quota going to look good. It would completely undermine the purpose of having people as a part of this community. Instead of having people here for the purpose of normalizing open carry in everyday life, they'd be here for the purpose of helping make some sort of quota. We don't need it. We need law abiding Americans here for the purpose of supporting open carry. Period.

BTW, where the hell did 26% come from?

Trigger Dr

Racism is still alive and still problematic in America. Your friends' sentiments are solid evidence of this.

My reckoning based on being around here for almost 4 years is that OC is almost entirely a "white thing," as your title suggests. If it is, that doesn't make it bad. But it does make it, uhm, deficient...

Y'know this reminds me of something I've thought about for a long time--What would happen if a significant number of blacks and Hispanic males living in the barrio/hood/ghetto in states where OC is legal all of a sudden started to OC? I'm talking about legal OC, of course.

How would the local populace react? The police? The news media? The local gangsta-types? The legislators?

I think it would be very interesting.

But however it would turn out, I agree with you--We need more blacks and Hispanics to open carry. Our goal should be to have about 26% of all OC to be done by blacks/Hispanics.

Whaddya think, guys?

I will tell ya what I think. Your goal of 26% is racist in as much as it sets a limit on participation by those of different ethnic background.
Our goal should be have as many LAC as possible, become regular OCers regardless of their ethnicity.

Deleted_User

Perhaps you are not understanding, the fact that you are actively LOOKING for someone who meets certain racial qualifications IS RACIST. We NEED to talk to ALL of our friends, regardless of age race color or creed, and talk to them about joining. Not turn into a bunch of racist by ACTIVELY recruiting someone to "make our image better" That in and of itself is the very definition of racism...

+32.33 (repeating of course)

Deleted_User

Door's open for every law abiding citizen to join, regardless of race. I'm not gonna start focusing on only asking any sort of minority to join, whether it be race, class, gender, orientation, religion, etc. I'm still gonna spread the word to EVERY law abiding citizen, regardless of race. If someone expresses concern because of their race, then sure, talk to them about it. But I don't think we need any sort of race quota. We just need more Americans to be informed, period. So what about race demographics? Who cares? What difference does it make? If I owned a business and needed to hire people, I wouldn't even have a place for someone to check what race they are on the application.

Bottom line is we don't need to get some quota going to look good. It would completely undermine the purpose of having people as a part of this community. Instead of having people here for the purpose of normalizing open carry in everyday life, they'd be here for the purpose of helping make some sort of quota. We don't need it. We need law abiding Americans here for the purpose of supporting open carry. Period.

BTW, where the hell did 26% come from?

Paddy: Remember, 86% of all statistic are made up as they go.

Last edited:

blackmarine

The news media was asking questions to non-white members that could be construde as open carry is a white thing and how did they feel about this. Deros and I talked briefly about what we heard when the reporters were doing their interviews, and I'm wondering if the news media is trying to protray us in a bad light and is this something that needs to be looked at.

I talked to some of my black friends about joining open carry because they feel strongly about their gun rights, but they told me they have enough problems just driving and walking while black, that it would not be something they would do.

About six months ago, I had a hispanic american, who was a concealled carrier come up to me and want to know all about open carry. I gave him all the info.

When I go to Wade's in Bellevue, I see other hispanic men in there, but they don't seem open to conversation, maybe I'm just to scary looking or maybe there is a divide that needs to be closed.

I think we need to do some thinking about race relations and how our group can do outreach to communities of color members who feel strongly about their gun rights, so we can head off any propoganda of racism from the media.

I hope I approached this in the right way, and that I did not offend anyone, its been on my mind since the Spanaway event, and I strongly thought it needed to be aired. Thank you.

So let me get this straight. You have friends, and you describe some of them as being black. Right ? How does that make them feel, that you somehow feel like they should be categorized as being your, "black friends" ?

Are these black friends of yours different in some way then your other friends ? As for your black friends having problems driving and walking down the street, what's that supposed to mean ?

I'm not the most social guy in the world, but over the years I've become friends with many people, I have never felt the need to categorize them into racial groups.

Last time I checked, over 50% of the population voted for a mixed race guy to be the president of these once great united states of america.

Maybe you should save the race hustling to the pros, like Jesse Jerkson or Al Sharptouge. I have no use for it.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The news media was asking questions to non-white members that could be construde as open carry is a white thing and how did they feel about this. Deros and I talked briefly about what we heard when the reporters were doing their interviews, and I'm wondering if the news media is trying to protray us in a bad light and is this something that needs to be looked at.

I talked to some of my black friends about joining open carry because they feel strongly about their gun rights, but they told me they have enough problems just driving and walking while black, that it would not be something they would do.

About six months ago, I had a hispanic american, who was a concealled carrier come up to me and want to know all about open carry. I gave him all the info.

When I go to Wade's in Bellevue, I see other hispanic men in there, but they don't seem open to conversation, maybe I'm just to scary looking or maybe there is a divide that needs to be closed.

I think we need to do some thinking about race relations and how our group can do outreach to communities of color members who feel strongly about their gun rights, so we can head off any propoganda of racism from the media.

I hope I approached this in the right way, and that I did not offend anyone, its been on my mind since the Spanaway event, and I strongly thought it needed to be aired. Thank you.

So let me get this straight. You have friends, and you describe some of them as being black. Right ? How does that make them feel, that you somehow feel like they should be categorized as being your, "black friends" ?

Are these black friends of yours different in some way then your other friends ? As for your black friends having problems driving and walking down the street, what's that supposed to mean ?

I'm not the most social guy in the world, but over the years I've become friends with many people, I have never felt the need to categorize them into racial groups.

Last time I checked, over 50% of the population voted for a mixed race guy to be the president of these once great united states of america.

Maybe you should save the race hustling to the pros, like Jesse Jerkson or Al Sharptouge. I have no use for it.

Really, really would like to see the taking of offense over this disappear from here. Even if imperfect, I believe that the OP's intent was to be inclusive, not to cause a divide. The rules are constantly changing and subject to individual application as to what is acceptable. There are those that object to any reference to black while others proudly bring it to the forefront. We can be damned if we do and damned if we don't. Let this not be a wedge between us.

We have managed to display to others that the chink in our armor is alive and well - exactly what the media was attempting to exploit and yes they do read these pages.

How do we reach out to those that are in any way different in the public's perception w/o identifying those perceptions? The OP pleads our indulgence when he says, "I hope I approached this in the right way, and that I did not offend anyone."

Meanwhile blackmarine, are you not ironically/symbolically the pot calling the kettle black? :lol: You don't seem yellow (afraid) - I'm sure your not totally green (unskilled newbie) - Have no idea if your a blue blood - Probably have a heart of gold - Don't see you as red faced (embarrassed) - This isn't a gray area - Please don't beat me black and blue over this. :D :D

Last edited:

The Patriot

Perhaps you are not understanding, the fact that you are actively LOOKING for someone who meets certain racial qualifications IS RACIST. We NEED to talk to ALL of our friends, regardless of age race color or creed, and talk to them about joining. Not turn into a bunch of racist by ACTIVELY recruiting someone to "make our image better" That in and of itself is the very definition of racism...

I agree 100%, if there are other Citizens of the U.S.A that want to open carry then let them! The mere fact that this country is headed down a continual divide is so blatently pointed out with this years census! It does not get more racist than that. The media is just another arm of a leftist agenda to keep fueling the very garbage they claim they are trying to expose. Bottom line is that we do not need to recruit anyone but Americans that believe in Liberty and Freedom and our Constitution. That is my humble opinion.

Thanks

Patriot

blackmarine

Really, really would like to see the taking of offense over this disappear from here. Even if imperfect, I believe that the OP's intent was to be inclusive, not to cause a divide. The rules are constantly changing and subject to individual application as to what is acceptable. There are those that object to any reference to black while others proudly bring it to the forefront. We can be damned if we do and damned if we don't. Let this not be a wedge between us.

We have managed to display to others that the chink in our armor is alive and well - exactly what the media was attempting to exploit and yes they do read these pages.

How do we reach out to those that are in any way different in the public's perception w/o identifying those perceptions? The OP pleads our indulgence when he says, "I hope I approached this in the right way, and that I did not offend anyone."

Meanwhile blackmarine, are you not ironically/symbolically the pot calling the kettle black? :lol: You don't seem yellow (afraid) - I'm sure your not totally green (unskilled newbie) - Have no idea if your a blue blood - Probably have a heart of gold - Don't see you as red faced (embarrassed) - This isn't a gray area - Please don't beat me black and blue over this. :D :D

Instead of speaking in riddles, try saying what you mean. As for others taking offense to this post (me included), it's getting really old being called a "racist".

As for using the term "black", what should I use ? It seems that term is good enough for black members of congress (Congressional Black Caucus) and for Black history month.

So to be "fair", using the term "White", should be offensive as well. Right.

In closing, I didn't open this can of worms, but I along with some others on here (it seems) refuse to be beaten down with the racist label, implied or otherwise.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Instead of speaking in riddles, try saying what you mean. As for others taking offense to this post (me included), it's getting really old being called a "racist".

As for using the term "black", what should I use ? It seems that term is good enough for black members of congress (Congressional Black Caucus) and for Black history month.

So to be "fair", using the term "White", should be offensive as well. Right.

In closing, I didn't open this can of worms, but I along with some others on here (it seems) refuse to be beaten down with the racist label, implied or otherwise.

I do not speak in riddles and I said precisely what I meant/intended. If you are referring to me as calling you or anyone a "racist," nothing could be further from the truth. Look again - I'm the guy that wants unity in this.

Last edited:

crzyjarmans

i agree

It should be known that the rights of an american goes for all law abiding americans wheather white,black,brown, or any other race, if your white,black,brown or any other you should stand up for your rights

3/325

Blah blah blah blah blah....

The crux of the whole thing is right here:
"...but they told me they have enough problems just driving and walking while black, that it would not be something they would do."

Someone explain to me how an "ethnic outreach" from the OC community is going to fix that problem? Even if we attempted to create a quota or just increase our efforts toward people with dark skin this is not going to change their reality. We all know how the general public respond to the sight of a gun, it's a plain reality that they freak out even worse over the sight of a black man with a gun.

The potential for being hassled while OCing is already high for a lot of people who are white. We know this because this board is littered with stories about unpleasant encounters; in fact, some white folks don't OC because of it. Throw a "scary skin color" into the equation and it doesn't take a genius to figure out the odds of getting more attention than you want.