Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Delavan Police Called. The way it should be done

Regular Member paul@paul-fisher.com's Avatar

Delavan Police Called. The way it should be done

Today at the Delavan Starbucks Open Carry Meet and Greet, someone called the police. From what I was told, the police called Starbucks to verify it was just us and Starbucks employees told them that we were there. No officers were dispatched.

I wonder if we can send the Madison PD to Delavan to train them?

I will be sending an open records request to see the details.

(OK, next time I'm bringing my computer to Starbuck's.)

The way Jennifer (one of the employees) told me, someone in the parking lot called police to report "a lot of people with guns at Starbuck's!!" ::insert wild eyes and waving of hands::

Police called, staff said "yeah, they're meeting here, there's no problem".
    A bunch of people standing around talking, even children & a dog, having drinks & nibbles. If one considers the totality of the circumstances, it's obvious that no disturbance occurred.

I second the notion of Delavan running training for other PDs.
    Imagine - customers not being harassed, not being arrested, not being illegally searched...
    Officer time / taxpayer money not being wasted...
    No publicity, no lawsuits...

Paul, when you notify the PD about our meets, they're also invited, right?
    Last edited by MKEgal; 11-07-2010 at 06:37 PM.

Centurion
    I would really suspect that a NON-INTRUSIVE drive by of the police occurred also; But I wasn't there. Glad it when well for them!

Quote Originally Posted by MKEgal View Post
    Paul, when you notify the PD about our meets, they're also invited, right?
    Yes, I invited the City of Delavan and Walworth County Sheriff's Department to come by and say hi.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeSparky View Post
    I would really suspect that a NON-INTRUSIVE drive by of the police occurred also; But I wasn't there. Glad it when well for them!
    I do not believe so. If so, it was VERY non-intrusive. The parking lot is such that you say any vehicle coming by. As we were leaving, one Delavan officer pulled in and went next door to Subway. I did not even see him give us a 1st let alone a 2nd glance.

Thumbs up What? No mention of the senator?

It was a great meet and greet today. The usual suspects showed up except for Springfield 1911. Frank had some things to take care of and couldn't make it but we still had "2 of the Madison 5" there today. There was a senator there as well and he sat and conversed with us for a while. I will let Paul fill in the details of the senators visit since Paul (our LEADER) did most of the talking.

The once a month meeting at Starbucks is a great idea and I hope we can continue to do this even as the winter hits us hard. Also, keep in mind that Lizzy's Green Cafe is another place we frequent and this coming Friday is another get together for dinner and....we sit inside where it is nice and warm.

Thanks Paul for a great event!

Quote Originally Posted by rcawdor57 View Post
    It was a great meet and greet today. The usual suspects showed up except for Springfield 1911. Frank had some things to take care of and couldn't make it but we still had "2 of the Madison 5" there today. There was a senator there as well and he sat and conversed with us for a while. I will let Paul fill in the details of the senators visit since Paul (our LEADER) did most of the talking.

The once a month meeting at Starbucks is a great idea and I hope we can continue to do this even as the winter hits us hard. Also, keep in mind that Lizzy's Green Cafe is another place we frequent and this coming Friday is another get together for dinner and....we sit inside where it is nice and warm.

Thanks Paul for a great event!
    I mentioned Kedzie in the main Delavan thread. I was trying to keep this one just to the Delavan PD 'response'.

I wonder if the dispatcher told the person on the phone that OC was legal? Looking forward to the open records request.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Too bad I missed it, could not get out that way.
    In God I trust. Everyone else needs to keep your hands where I can see them.

Regular Member Have Gun - Will Carry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by protias View Post
    I wonder if the dispatcher told the person on the phone that OC was legal? Looking forward to the open records request.
    Ditto - should be interesting to hear.
    “There is nothing which I dread so much as a division of the republic into two great parties, each arranged under its leader, and concerting measures in opposition to each other.” - John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by marshaul View Post
    Experience? Experience means political success, which means (today) Democrat or Republican. And it is precisely these professional politicians who have become corrupt and unrepresentative of the American people.

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
    It was probably Jeri Bonavia calling from her home, you know as well as I do that she lurks this forum to try and cause problems, and to quote things out of context to publish in her facebook page and blog. As do many other anti's, and the bickering of late does not help our image one bit, so use that as a warning.

Quote Originally Posted by Nutczak View Post
    It was probably Jeri Bonavia calling from her home, you know as well as I do that she lurks this forum to try and cause problems, and to quote things out of context to publish in her facebook page and blog. As do many other anti's, and the bickering of late does not help our image one bit, so use that as a warning.
    Jeri calling from her home would not shock me at all. That nut job of a woman needs to get a clue.

So, did an open records request via email and got one back saying I have to use their form.

Peachy. I guess I'll go by tomorrow.

Jeri Bonavia is a liar.

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by paul@paul-fisher.com View Post
    So, did an open records request via email and got one back saying I have to use their form. Peachy. I guess I'll go by tomorrow.
    Or read Chapter 19 Wisc. Stats. to learn that is absolutely not true. Bitch to the DA, make him do his job and whip them into line. The DA is charged with enforcing Chapter 19.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wisc. Stats.
    § 19.35(1) (h) A request under pars. (a) to (f) is deemed sufficient if it reasonably describes the requested record or the information requested. However, a request for a record without a reasonable limitation as to subject matter or length of time represented by the record does not constitute a sufficient request. A request may be made orally, but a request must be in writing before an action to enforce the request is commenced under s. 19.37.[DH emphasis]
    [ ... ]
    § 19.97 Enforcement.
    (1) This subchapter shall be enforced in the name and on behalf of the state by the attorney general or, upon the verified complaint of any person, by the district attorney of any county wherein a violation may occur. In actions brought by the attorney general, the court shall award any forfeiture recovered together with reasonable costs to the state; and in actions brought by the district attorney, the court shall award any forfeiture recovered together with reasonable costs to the county.
    A verified complaint structure is in the Open Meetings Law compliance guide.
    Quote Originally Posted by OML Compliance Guide
    VERIFIED OPEN MEETINGS LAW COMPLAINT
    Now comes the complainant and as and for a verified complaint pursuant to Wis. Stat.
    §§ 19.96 and 19.97, alleges and complains as follows:
    1. That he is a resident of the [town, village, city] of , Wisconsin, and
    that his or her Post Office Address is [street, avenue, etc.] , Wisconsin [zip].
    2. That [name of member or chief presiding officer] whose Post Office Address is
    ___________________________ [street, avenue, etc.], [city], Wisconsin, was
    on the day of 200_, a [member or chief presiding officer] of
    ________________________________ designate official title of governmental body] and that such
    ____________________ [board, council, commission or committee] is a governmental body within the meaning
    of Wis. Stat. § 19.82(1).
    3. That [name of member or chief presiding officer] on the day of
    ___________________________, 200 , at County of , Wisconsin,
    knowingly attended a meeting of said governmental body held in violation of Wis. Stat. § 19.96 and
    _________________________________________ [cite other applicable section(s)], or otherwise violated those
    sections in that [set out every act or omission constituting the offense charged]:
    4. That [name of member or chief presiding officer] is thereby subject to the
    penalties prescribed in Wis. Stat. § 19.96.
    5. That the following witnesses can testify to said acts or omissions:
    Name Address Telephone
    _____________________________ __________________________________________ _____________
    _____________________________ __________________________________________ _____________
    6. That the following documentary evidence of said acts or omissions is available:
    7. That this complaint is made to the District Attorney for County under the provisions of
    Wis. Stat. § 19.97, and that the district attorney may bring an action to recover the forfeiture provided in Wis.
    Stat. § 19.96.
    WHEREFORE, complainant prays that the District Attorney for County, Wisconsin, timely
    institute an action against [name of member or chief presiding officer] to recover the forfeiture
    provided in Wis. Stat. § 19.96, together with reasonable costs and disbursements as provided by law.
    Last edited by Doug Huffman; 11-10-2010 at 07:33 AM.

Banned
    Maybe LEO through out the state should have a new kind of mandated training that is hosted by the Delavan PD
    Last edited by J.Gleason; 11-10-2010 at 09:21 AM.

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    Or by you and I. It might have been Wisconsin Concealed Carry Compromise Inculcated but for their media flack violating LEO Lieutenant Paul's trust - and then pawning it off as Paul's 'inadvertency'.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
    Or read Chapter 19 Wisc. Stats. to learn that is absolutely not true. Bitch to the DA, make him do his job and whip them into line. The DA is charged with enforcing Chapter 19.
    A verified complaint structure is in the Open Meetings Law compliance guide.
    So.... I don't have to put in writing the open records request however, unless I put it in writing I can't complain that they didn't comply?! Am I reading that right?

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
    Or by you and I. It might have been Wisconsin Concealed Carry Compromise Inculcated but for their media flack violating LEO Lieutenant Paul's trust - and then pawning it off as Paul's 'inadvertency'.
    I understand the 1st part (Or by you and I), but you lost me on the rest. Can you please explain it in language I can understand. You can put it in a PM if you wish.

Thanks!

Anyhow, I went down and filled out their form. I am forwarding the law to them so that they realize I am just doing it for expediency but will not be doing it again.

OK. This is getting weird. The Delavan PD has no record of a call.

The only thing I can think of is that someone called 911 (Walworth County Dispatcher), they called Starbucks and then didn't even Delavan.

I am following up.

Quote Originally Posted by Springfielddx40 View Post
    Jeri Bonavia is a liar.
    What is an example of Jeri Bonavia telling a lie, Sx40?

Quote Originally Posted by paul@paul-fisher.com View Post
    OK. This is getting weird. The Delavan PD has no record of a call.

The only thing I can think of is that someone called 911 (Walworth County Dispatcher), they called Starbucks and then didn't even Delavan.

I am following up.
    That call should still be logged. Keep it up Paul!
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Quote Originally Posted by HankT View Post
    Start with her statement to the Milw. Journal-Sentinel Apr 16 2008 .She claims Wisconsin background checks are more or less favor criminals,making it easy for them and undocumented gun sales. She makes it sound like if your a felon or domestic violence offender you just tell the clerk at Joe's guns and he'll forgo the paperwork,what a crock and Oh ya those of us who stand for our rights are not regular gun owners but " EXTREAMISTS "

5 minutes ago I didn't know who Jeri Bonavia was,I found out in 30 seconds with a simple google search!
    Owner Little Wolf Firearms , US ARMY RETIRED 101st Airborne & 84th DIV TRNG Small arms instructor.
    Remember , Gun Control is " USING BOTH HANDS!"

Quote Originally Posted by littlewolf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HankT
    Start with her statement to the Milw. Journal-Sentinel Apr 16 2008 .She claims Wisconsin background checks are more or less favor criminals,making it easy for them and undocumented gun sales. She makes it sound like if your a felon or domestic violence offender you just tell the clerk at Joe's guns and he'll forgo the paperwork,what a crock and Oh ya those of us who stand for our rights are not regular gun owners but " EXTREAMISTS "
    Well, I've already asked Sx40, so now, considering your response, LW, I'll ask you too.

What is an example of Geri Bonavia telling a lie?

Specifically, LW, which of her words are "a lie" in your opinion?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast