• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Delavan Police Called. The way it should be done

paul@paul-fisher.com

Today at the Delavan Starbucks Open Carry Meet and Greet, someone called the police. From what I was told, the police called Starbucks to verify it was just us and Starbucks employees told them that we were there. No officers were dispatched.

I wonder if we can send the Madison PD to Delavan to train them?

I will be sending an open records request to see the details.

MKEgal

(OK, next time I'm bringing my computer to Starbuck's.)

The way Jennifer (one of the employees) told me, someone in the parking lot called police to report "a lot of people with guns at Starbuck's!!" ::insert wild eyes and waving of hands::

Police called, staff said "yeah, they're meeting here, there's no problem".
A bunch of people standing around talking, even children & a dog, having drinks & nibbles. If one considers the totality of the circumstances, it's obvious that no disturbance occurred.

I second the notion of Delavan running training for other PDs.
Imagine - customers not being harassed, not being arrested, not being illegally searched...
Officer time / taxpayer money not being wasted...
No publicity, no lawsuits...

Paul, when you notify the PD about our meets, they're also invited, right?

Last edited:

paul@paul-fisher.com

I would really suspect that a NON-INTRUSIVE drive by of the police occurred also; But I wasn't there. Glad it when well for them!

I do not believe so. If so, it was VERY non-intrusive. The parking lot is such that you say any vehicle coming by. As we were leaving, one Delavan officer pulled in and went next door to Subway. I did not even see him give us a 1st let alone a 2nd glance.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
What? No mention of the senator?

It was a great meet and greet today. The usual suspects showed up except for Springfield 1911. Frank had some things to take care of and couldn't make it but we still had "2 of the Madison 5" there today. There was a senator there as well and he sat and conversed with us for a while. I will let Paul fill in the details of the senators visit since Paul (our LEADER) did most of the talking. :)

The once a month meeting at Starbucks is a great idea and I hope we can continue to do this even as the winter hits us hard. Also, keep in mind that Lizzy's Green Cafe is another place we frequent and this coming Friday is another get together for dinner and....we sit inside where it is nice and warm.

Thanks Paul for a great event!

paul@paul-fisher.com

It was a great meet and greet today. The usual suspects showed up except for Springfield 1911. Frank had some things to take care of and couldn't make it but we still had "2 of the Madison 5" there today. There was a senator there as well and he sat and conversed with us for a while. I will let Paul fill in the details of the senators visit since Paul (our LEADER) did most of the talking. :)

The once a month meeting at Starbucks is a great idea and I hope we can continue to do this even as the winter hits us hard. Also, keep in mind that Lizzy's Green Cafe is another place we frequent and this coming Friday is another get together for dinner and....we sit inside where it is nice and warm.

Thanks Paul for a great event!

I mentioned Kedzie in the main Delavan thread. I was trying to keep this one just to the Delavan PD 'response'.

protias

I wonder if the dispatcher told the person on the phone that OC was legal? Looking forward to the open records request.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
It was probably Jeri Bonavia calling from her home, you know as well as I do that she lurks this forum to try and cause problems, and to quote things out of context to publish in her facebook page and blog. As do many other anti's, and the bickering of late does not help our image one bit, so use that as a warning.

AaronS

It was probably Jeri Bonavia calling from her home, you know as well as I do that she lurks this forum to try and cause problems, and to quote things out of context to publish in her facebook page and blog. As do many other anti's, and the bickering of late does not help our image one bit, so use that as a warning.

Jeri calling from her home would not shock me at all. That nut job of a woman needs to get a clue.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
So, did an open records request via email and got one back saying I have to use their form. Peachy. I guess I'll go by tomorrow.
Or read Chapter 19 Wisc. Stats. to learn that is absolutely not true. Bitch to the DA, make him do his job and whip them into line. The DA is charged with enforcing Chapter 19.
Wisc. Stats. said:
§ 19.35(1) (h) A request under pars. (a) to (f) is deemed sufficient if it reasonably describes the requested record or the information requested. However, a request for a record without a reasonable limitation as to subject matter or length of time represented by the record does not constitute a sufficient request. A request may be made orally, but a request must be in writing before an action to enforce the request is commenced under s. 19.37.[DH emphasis]
[ ... ]
§ 19.97 Enforcement.
(1) This subchapter shall be enforced in the name and on behalf of the state by the attorney general or, upon the verified complaint of any person, by the district attorney of any county wherein a violation may occur. In actions brought by the attorney general, the court shall award any forfeiture recovered together with reasonable costs to the state; and in actions brought by the district attorney, the court shall award any forfeiture recovered together with reasonable costs to the county.
A verified complaint structure is in the Open Meetings Law compliance guide.
OML Compliance Guide said:
VERIFIED OPEN MEETINGS LAW COMPLAINT
Now comes the complainant and as and for a verified complaint pursuant to Wis. Stat.
§§ 19.96 and 19.97, alleges and complains as follows:
1. That he is a resident of the [town, village, city] of , Wisconsin, and
that his or her Post Office Address is [street, avenue, etc.] , Wisconsin [zip].
2. That [name of member or chief presiding officer] whose Post Office Address is
___________________________ [street, avenue, etc.], [city], Wisconsin, was
on the day of 200_, a [member or chief presiding officer] of
________________________________ designate official title of governmental body] and that such
____________________ [board, council, commission or committee] is a governmental body within the meaning
of Wis. Stat. § 19.82(1).
3. That [name of member or chief presiding officer] on the day of
___________________________, 200 , at County of , Wisconsin,
knowingly attended a meeting of said governmental body held in violation of Wis. Stat. § 19.96 and
_________________________________________ [cite other applicable section(s)], or otherwise violated those
sections in that [set out every act or omission constituting the offense charged]:
4. That [name of member or chief presiding officer] is thereby subject to the
penalties prescribed in Wis. Stat. § 19.96.
5. That the following witnesses can testify to said acts or omissions:
Name Address Telephone
_____________________________ __________________________________________ _____________
_____________________________ __________________________________________ _____________
6. That the following documentary evidence of said acts or omissions is available:
7. That this complaint is made to the District Attorney for County under the provisions of
Wis. Stat. § 19.97, and that the district attorney may bring an action to recover the forfeiture provided in Wis.
Stat. § 19.96.
WHEREFORE, complainant prays that the District Attorney for County, Wisconsin, timely
institute an action against [name of member or chief presiding officer] to recover the forfeiture
provided in Wis. Stat. § 19.96, together with reasonable costs and disbursements as provided by law.

Last edited:

paul@paul-fisher.com

Or read Chapter 19 Wisc. Stats. to learn that is absolutely not true. Bitch to the DA, make him do his job and whip them into line. The DA is charged with enforcing Chapter 19.
A verified complaint structure is in the Open Meetings Law compliance guide.

So.... I don't have to put in writing the open records request however, unless I put it in writing I can't complain that they didn't comply?! Am I reading that right?

paul@paul-fisher.com

Or by you and I. It might have been Wisconsin Concealed Carry Compromise Inculcated but for their media flack violating LEO Lieutenant Paul's trust - and then pawning it off as Paul's 'inadvertency'.

I understand the 1st part (Or by you and I), but you lost me on the rest. Can you please explain it in language I can understand. You can put it in a PM if you wish.

Thanks!

paul@paul-fisher.com

Anyhow, I went down and filled out their form. I am forwarding the law to them so that they realize I am just doing it for expediency but will not be doing it again.