• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why?

DCKilla

I just don't get it. My in-laws and blood family members support the 2nd amendment, but not carrying.:banghead: In the home is ok, but in public, no way. I'm so sick and tired of their criticism from 3,000 miles away. Father-in-law quote: "Why take your kids where you need to carry a gun?" What kind of crap is that? If a place is unsafe for my kids. Then that place is unsafe for me. I carry for protection, not to look for trouble.

Sorry for the rant...carry on my friends

lockman

State Researcher
I just don't get it. My in-laws and blood family members support the 2nd amendment, but not carrying.:banghead: In the home is ok, but in public, no way. I'm so sick and tired of their criticism from 3,000 miles away. Father-in-law quote: "Why take your kids where you need to carry a gun?" What kind of crap is that? If a place is unsafe for my kids. Then that place is unsafe for me. I carry for protection, not to look for trouble.

How does anybody know when a gun would be needed? In a situation where a gun "will" be needed he is right you would not bring your kids or yourself for that matter. Better safe than sorry. Leaving the defensive tool at home because you won't need it, makes it more probable you will be sorry if your perception of need was wrong.

4angrybadgers

Then they don't really understand or support the 2nd Amendment and its purposes. I know how it feels - my parents and siblings accept/support firearms carry, but my in-laws either can't comprehend it or try to persuade me not to carry. My mother-in-law was aghast that I left a loaded shotgun at home with my wife. Even though my mother-in-law and her sister were held up in their family grocery at gunpoint years ago, she can't comprehend the idea that bad things happen, and someone may want to defend themselves against such an occurrence.

Mississippian

Then they don't really understand or support the 2nd Amendment and its purposes. I know how it feels - my parents and siblings accept/support firearms carry, but my in-laws either can't comprehend it or try to persuade me not to carry. My mother-in-law was aghast that I left a loaded shotgun at home with my wife. Even though my mother-in-law and her sister were held up in their family grocery at gunpoint years ago, she can't comprehend the idea that bad things happen, and someone may want to defend themselves against such an occurrence.

Do they have a fire extinguisher? If so, then you could tell them their house must be unsafe if they feel like they need a fire extinguisher. I mean geez, I wouldn't want to sleep in a house that I think may catch on fire! ;)

4angrybadgers

Do they have a fire extinguisher? If so, then you could tell them their house must be unsafe if they feel like they need a fire extinguisher. I mean geez, I wouldn't want to sleep in a house that I think may catch on fire! ;)
I didn't think of the fire extinguisher or seat belt analogies at the time. I don't know how much it would have helped. My father-in-law is of the mindset that "sometimes you have to entrust your safety to others", say by not carrying if the police are present. :rolleyes: That particular conversation was an exercise in frustration. :banghead:

edit: Maybe we should get this thread renamed to The perpetual "They just don't get it!" rant thread. :)

Last edited:

robbyw

Tell your inlaws that no one knows what is safe.They need to look at the stories about the gun toting preachers.they feal the churches arent safe in thease days and times.

fiskrb

A pistol should be had when not needed rather than needed when not had.

I'm sure I'm not the first to say this but surely I'll not be the last...

Hollowpoint38

A sandwich made of knuckles, Hoover, Alabama
That must suck. Not one person in either side of my family has said anything negative. If anything, I've convinced others to OC/CC/and purchase their first firearms.

-Convinced my wife's grandmother to purchase a pistol.
-Got my twin sisters interested.
-Got my wife to start OCing

All without saying much about OC and just doing it throughout my regular daily activities... Ask them why they see OC as a negative, then tell them the positive and ask them to weigh the two and see which is better.
You can never know when danger is around the corner and you have a duty to protect your children and OCing is the best way to deter that danger.

I would rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it...

Last edited:

bluestreak76

I carry every day (every single day) after hearing about some church friends in Memphis getting raped and robbed going into a parking garage. They were young and they were followed by another car to their nice new apartment complex in a good neighborhood. A gang of about 6 guys kidnapped the man and his wife. They jumped in their car and some of the others stayed in their own. They took them to a field, shot the guy (non fatal wound) while they took turns raping his wife. One of them didn't participate in the raping. I guess he felt bad who knows. He put a jacket on the young lady and he had placed the car keys in the pocket of the jacket. They would have died if he didn't.
If someone had of been in that garage with a firearm this may have been prevented. This is why we need to carry. I tell this story to everyone I know. I refuse to be a victim. I will protect my family and the innocent at all times.

I never leave my gun at home. I hope you don't either.