Thread: Need clarification if I can bring my pistols back to MI...

Need clarification if I can bring my pistols back to MI...

as some of you may know i moved to GA in August. Im waiting on my GWL (georgia weapons licence) Even though my pistols are registered in MI, can I transport them back with me without a GWL since my CPL is no longer valid? I know I cant carry concealed (well open I know i can without a CPL) How does this apply as my 3 of my pistols are registered in MI?
    -NRA Member, GSSF Member, GeorgiaCarry Member, Glock Certified Armorer, Glock 30SF, STI Elektra, M&P9c, NAA Black Widow .22 WMR
    -“I do believe that where there is a choice only between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence.”—Mahatma Ghandhi

Banned
    Y do U wanna come back here? Don't you know it's cold outside?

Well I still have family here...I may wanna come home and visit!

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk
    -NRA Member, GSSF Member, GeorgiaCarry Member, Glock Certified Armorer, Glock 30SF, STI Elektra, M&P9c, NAA Black Widow .22 WMR
    -“I do believe that where there is a choice only between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence.”—Mahatma Ghandhi

Banned
    Gotcha. well, Im not certain about your question, but someone will come along with it shortly. You're always welcome here.

ianal, there your handguns right, you can transport them, unloaded, locked in case, separate from ammo, in the trunk of your car. that is Federal transport law, and no i do not have the link to the source, better yet ship them to yourself by ups, fed ex. just ship them from your name to your name, in the care of the family member you are going to stay with here in michigan, make sure the family member that will be holding the package understands not to open it.
    Last edited by khicks; 11-08-2010 at 12:32 AM.

its the firearm owners protection act.

non res??

you should have maintained some semblance of your michigan residency and you CPL,
    till you could qualify for your georgia permit.
    actually i would have tried to just keep being a michigan resident for ever!!
    michigan has the best permit in the states, bar none!!
    georgia is also pretty good, but not as good.
    now you are in the position of having no permit at all.
    if you still have your michigan permit, i would say that its still valid!
    you havent been in georgia long enough to become a resident, so you must still be a michigander.
    otherwise, i would unload them, lock them in a tool box, and throw that in the trunk.
    dont talk about firearms, before or during your trip, going or coming back!
    they were legally bought and registered in michigan, so i think they are still legal there,
    your permits to purchase pistols would still be in the files!
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

Quote Originally Posted by 1245A Defender View Post
    you should have maintained some semblance of your michigan residency and you CPL,
    you havent been in georgia long enough to become a resident, so you must still be a michigander.
    otherwise, i would unload them, lock them in a tool box, and throw that in the trunk.
    they were legally bought and registered in michigan, so i think they are still legal there,
    your handguns will always remain registered in MI, so no worries there. and yes the feds made it safe for you to transport, i am not sure about mailing them to yourself though, Drtodd?? whats your take on it
    But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security. Declaration of Independence July 4, 1776

Michigan Concealed Pistol Instructor. Cost 80.00 With advanced techniques included free. PM for more information!

Quote Originally Posted by 1245A Defender View Post
    ive already gained georgia residency so im SOL on that point.

Banned
    Wasn't there a thread on out of state carry just a couple weeks ago? Sorry, that's one of the threads I wasn't following.

Federal law expressly provides that persons may carry a firearm in their vehicles while traveling through another state provided that the possession of the weapon is legal in both the states of origin and destination and the weapon is unloaded and carried in the trunk of the vehicle or a locked container other than the glove box. See 18 U.S.C. 926a
    Only two have offered their lives for you. A Soldier and Jesus....