• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Need clarification if I can bring my pistols back to MI...

RabbiVJ

Campaign Veteran
as some of you may know i moved to GA in August. Im waiting on my GWL (georgia weapons licence) Even though my pistols are registered in MI, can I transport them back with me without a GWL since my CPL is no longer valid? I know I cant carry concealed (well open I know i can without a CPL) How does this apply as my 3 of my pistols are registered in MI?

stainless1911

Banned
Y do U wanna come back here? Don't you know it's cold outside?
freddo2.gif

RabbiVJ

Campaign Veteran
Well I still have family here...I may wanna come home and visit!

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

khicks

ianal, there your handguns right, you can transport them, unloaded, locked in case, separate from ammo, in the trunk of your car. that is Federal transport law, and no i do not have the link to the source, better yet ship them to yourself by ups, fed ex. just ship them from your name to your name, in the care of the family member you are going to stay with here in michigan, make sure the family member that will be holding the package understands not to open it.

Last edited:

1245A Defender

non res??

you should have maintained some semblance of your michigan residency and you CPL,
till you could qualify for your georgia permit.
actually i would have tried to just keep being a michigan resident for ever!!
michigan has the best permit in the states, bar none!!
georgia is also pretty good, but not as good.
now you are in the position of having no permit at all.
if you still have your michigan permit, i would say that its still valid!
you havent been in georgia long enough to become a resident, so you must still be a michigander.
otherwise, i would unload them, lock them in a tool box, and throw that in the trunk.
dont talk about firearms, before or during your trip, going or coming back!
they were legally bought and registered in michigan, so i think they are still legal there,
your permits to purchase pistols would still be in the files!

NHCGRPR45

you should have maintained some semblance of your michigan residency and you CPL,
you havent been in georgia long enough to become a resident, so you must still be a michigander.
otherwise, i would unload them, lock them in a tool box, and throw that in the trunk.
they were legally bought and registered in michigan, so i think they are still legal there,

your handguns will always remain registered in MI, so no worries there. and yes the feds made it safe for you to transport, i am not sure about mailing them to yourself though, Drtodd?? whats your take on it

RabbiVJ

Campaign Veteran

ive already gained georgia residency so im SOL on that point.

SlowDog

Federal law expressly provides that persons may carry a firearm in their vehicles while traveling through another state provided that the possession of the weapon is legal in both the states of origin and destination and the weapon is unloaded and carried in the trunk of the vehicle or a locked container other than the glove box. See 18 U.S.C. 926a