Thread: OC in the winter

OC in the winter

I am pretty new to OC and now that winter is coming up im getting worried. I'd like to carry but my coat covers up my holster for my Beretta 92fs which I normally carry. I noticed on my holster for my S&W 19-5 6" barrel that a good 4-5 inches of the holster drop below my coatline but the handle is concealed. Is this still legal for open carry in Michigan? I am 20 years old currently so concealed carry is out of the question until next year but both handguns are legally mine.

Banned
    Welcome

Do not cover any part of the gun at any time for any length of time. Get a leg drop holster. I carry that way, with a permit, and don't have any intentions of going back to the belt line any time soon.

How about a M3/M7 tanker type chest holster? I was just having the same question.

i would wear it higher and more center chest.

Banned
    sure, just don't cover it.

wear it outside of a jacket.
    not a lawyer, dont take anything i say as legal advice.

+1 for drop leg/thigh rig. Especially with a Beretta 92FS. Any military holster will work well for you.
    All opinions posted on opencarry.org are my own, and do not necessarily reflect the views of opencarry.org or Michigan Open Carry Inc.

Regular Member quarter horseman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackhawk9013 View Post
    I am pretty new to OC and now that winter is coming up im getting worried. I'd like to carry but my coat covers up my holster for my Beretta 92fs which I normally carry. I noticed on my holster for my S&W 19-5 6" barrel that a good 4-5 inches of the holster drop below my coatline but the handle is concealed. Is this still legal for open carry in Michigan? I am 20 years old currently so concealed carry is out of the question until next year but both handguns are legally mine.
    Welcome to OC! blackhawk! carry on!

Its been getting cold out and what I do is wear under armor with a long sleeve t-shirt than a vest or a hooded sweat shirt and have my pistol stick out. But for you it could be vary easy for your shirt to come over it and cover it up. There are alot of options out there.
    Only you can save are rights....

Thank you all for your warm welcome and replies. I am interested in the drop leg holster but what kind would be good for a 92fs brigadier. I've had a lot of problems trying to find a quality holster like a composite retention holster because they dont fit the brigadier model which has a slightly wider slide. If anyone knows of a drop leg holster that would fit the brigadier let me know it doesnt necessarily have to be one of those composite ones just a good quality holster.

I wear it outside of my jacket... lower portion of jacket tucked behind the holster.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

A dedicated gun belt over the coat, or a drop leg rig with a coat short enough not to possibly cover it are your best options. Until you get a CPL, you should be extremely careful to make sure that your rig cannot possibly be concealed with how you are carrying it. This will prevent a cop from lying and saying it's partially concealed, which is a courtroom debate you should strive to avoid.
    Think Free or Serve. Live Free or Die.

Quote Originally Posted by Michigander View Post
    A dedicated gun belt over the coat, or a drop leg rig with a coat short enough not to possibly cover it are your best options. Until you get a CPL, you should be extremely careful to make sure that your rig cannot possibly be concealed with how you are carrying it. This will prevent a cop from lying and saying it's partially concealed, which is a courtroom debate you should strive to avoid.
    I highly recommend a CPL for anyone carrying. There are too many what ifs that can occur and not just with clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Michigander View Post
    Honestly, will any mode of carry absolutely prevent a LEO from lying and saying it's "partially concealed"? I don't think so.
    Also, I can see a LEO saying: Carrying on a belt outside of the clothing has been deemed "not concealed"... a drop-leg holster has not. If you say "but, it obviously is OC," I would counter that so is the way I carry (my post above) My suggestion is that everyone get a CPL, then no worries. Any type of OC w/out a CPL other than openly on a belt, COULD be argued, is concealed. Logical: NO, Possible: YES
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by budlight View Post
    I highly recommend a CPL for anyone carrying.
    OP "so concealed carry is out of the question until next year"

Banned
    There is more to OC without a CPL than what you are wearing, and how you choose to carry. It can be done, successfully, and safely, but only if you know which laws to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by DrTodd View Post
    Honestly, will any mode of carry absolutely prevent a LEO from lying and saying it's "partially concealed"? I don't think so.
    Also, I can see a LEO saying: Carrying on a belt outside of the clothing has been deemed "not concealed"... a drop-leg holster has not. If you say "but, it obviously is OC," I would counter that so is the way I carry (my post above) My suggestion is that everyone get a CPL, then no worries. Any type of OC w/out a CPL other than openly on a belt, COULD be argued, is concealed. Logical: NO, Possible: YES
    Todd, my only concern is that he could get charged with a CCW violation, even if there's a remote possibility that his jacket COULD be covering his firearm. A similar instance happened to TheSzerdi, where during a car accident, he was charged with Failure to Disclose because he was OCing with a jacket on, and though his jacket was NOT covering his firearm, the way he was 'turned', and the overlap of the jacket not allowing the gun to be completely visible at all times caused the officer to charge him. Luckily the case was dropped, however minimizing issues the best we can since he doesn't have a CPL would likely be our best bet.

If your jacket only goes down to your waist, and 8" below that is where the handle of your gun starts, there's virtually no possible way it's even going to be remotely arguable that your gun was concealed by your jacket. If carrying at the hip, there's still some reasonable doubt that it could have been; regardless of if it was or not.
    All opinions posted on opencarry.org are my own, and do not necessarily reflect the views of opencarry.org or Michigan Open Carry Inc.

Besides the clothing issues, a person without a CPL could easily get tripped up on just walking through the parking lot of certain premises. I.E..you cut through a parking lot to get from point A to B. The lot belongs to a store that holds a liquor license, thus putting you in violation 750.234d.

750.234d Possession of firearm on certain premises prohibited; applicability; violation as
    misdemeanor; penalty.
    Sec. 234d. (1) Except as provided in subsection (2), a person shall not possess a firearm on the premises of
    any of the following:
    (a) A depository financial institution or a subsidiary or affiliate of a depository financial institution.
    (b) A church or other house of religious worship.
    (c) A court.
    (d) A theatre.
    (e) A sports arena.
    (f) A day care center.
    (g) A hospital.
    (h) An establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control act, Act No. 8 of the Public Acts of the
    Extra Session of 1933, being sections 436.1 to 436.58 of the Michigan Compiled Laws.
    (2) This section does not apply to any of the following:
    (a) A person who owns, or is employed by or contracted by, an entity described in subsection (1) if the
    possession of that firearm is to provide security services for that entity.
    (b) A peace officer.
    (c) A person licensed by this state or another state to carry a concealed weapon.
    (d) A person who possesses a firearm on the premises of an entity described in subsection (1) if that
    possession is with the permission of the owner or an agent of the owner of that entity.
    (3) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for not more
    than 90 days or a fine of not more than $100.00, or both.
    History: Add. 1990, Act 321, Eff. Mar. 28, 1991;Am. 1992, Act 218, Imd. Eff. Oct. 13, 1992;Am. 1994, Act 158, Eff. Aug. 15,
    Rendered

Banned
    Don't forget transportation issues. could a sled or toboggan be considered a vehicle? I think it's possible.

Quote Originally Posted by stainless1911 View Post
    Don't forget transportation issues. could a sled or toboggan be considered a vehicle? I think it's possible.
    I'm sure to some hick town cop it could be. LOL