• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in the winter

blackhawk9013

I am pretty new to OC and now that winter is coming up im getting worried. I'd like to carry but my coat covers up my holster for my Beretta 92fs which I normally carry. I noticed on my holster for my S&W 19-5 6" barrel that a good 4-5 inches of the holster drop below my coatline but the handle is concealed. Is this still legal for open carry in Michigan? I am 20 years old currently so concealed carry is out of the question until next year but both handguns are legally mine.

k_rasmussen

How about a M3/M7 tanker type chest holster? I was just having the same question.
tankerholster.jpg

i would wear it higher and more center chest.

quarter horseman

I am pretty new to OC and now that winter is coming up im getting worried. I'd like to carry but my coat covers up my holster for my Beretta 92fs which I normally carry. I noticed on my holster for my S&W 19-5 6" barrel that a good 4-5 inches of the holster drop below my coatline but the handle is concealed. Is this still legal for open carry in Michigan? I am 20 years old currently so concealed carry is out of the question until next year but both handguns are legally mine.

Welcome to OC! blackhawk! carry on!

jasonman17

Its been getting cold out and what I do is wear under armor with a long sleeve t-shirt than a vest or a hooded sweat shirt and have my pistol stick out. But for you it could be vary easy for your shirt to come over it and cover it up. There are alot of options out there.

blackhawk9013

Thank you all for your warm welcome and replies. I am interested in the drop leg holster but what kind would be good for a 92fs brigadier. I've had a lot of problems trying to find a quality holster like a composite retention holster because they dont fit the brigadier model which has a slightly wider slide. If anyone knows of a drop leg holster that would fit the brigadier let me know it doesnt necessarily have to be one of those composite ones just a good quality holster.

Michigander

A dedicated gun belt over the coat, or a drop leg rig with a coat short enough not to possibly cover it are your best options. Until you get a CPL, you should be extremely careful to make sure that your rig cannot possibly be concealed with how you are carrying it. This will prevent a cop from lying and saying it's partially concealed, which is a courtroom debate you should strive to avoid.

budlight

A dedicated gun belt over the coat, or a drop leg rig with a coat short enough not to possibly cover it are your best options. Until you get a CPL, you should be extremely careful to make sure that your rig cannot possibly be concealed with how you are carrying it. This will prevent a cop from lying and saying it's partially concealed, which is a courtroom debate you should strive to avoid.

I highly recommend a CPL for anyone carrying. There are too many what ifs that can occur and not just with clothing.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator

Honestly, will any mode of carry absolutely prevent a LEO from lying and saying it's "partially concealed"? I don't think so.
Also, I can see a LEO saying: Carrying on a belt outside of the clothing has been deemed "not concealed"... a drop-leg holster has not. If you say "but, it obviously is OC," I would counter that so is the way I carry (my post above) My suggestion is that everyone get a CPL, then no worries. Any type of OC w/out a CPL other than openly on a belt, COULD be argued, is concealed. Logical: NO, Possible: YES

malignity

Honestly, will any mode of carry absolutely prevent a LEO from lying and saying it's "partially concealed"? I don't think so.
Also, I can see a LEO saying: Carrying on a belt outside of the clothing has been deemed "not concealed"... a drop-leg holster has not. If you say "but, it obviously is OC," I would counter that so is the way I carry (my post above) My suggestion is that everyone get a CPL, then no worries. Any type of OC w/out a CPL other than openly on a belt, COULD be argued, is concealed. Logical: NO, Possible: YES

Todd, my only concern is that he could get charged with a CCW violation, even if there's a remote possibility that his jacket COULD be covering his firearm. A similar instance happened to TheSzerdi, where during a car accident, he was charged with Failure to Disclose because he was OCing with a jacket on, and though his jacket was NOT covering his firearm, the way he was 'turned', and the overlap of the jacket not allowing the gun to be completely visible at all times caused the officer to charge him. Luckily the case was dropped, however minimizing issues the best we can since he doesn't have a CPL would likely be our best bet.

If your jacket only goes down to your waist, and 8" below that is where the handle of your gun starts, there's virtually no possible way it's even going to be remotely arguable that your gun was concealed by your jacket. If carrying at the hip, there's still some reasonable doubt that it could have been; regardless of if it was or not. :)

budlight

Besides the clothing issues, a person without a CPL could easily get tripped up on just walking through the parking lot of certain premises. I.E…..you cut through a parking lot to get from point A to B. The lot belongs to a store that holds a liquor license, thus putting you in violation 750.234d.

750.234d Possession of firearm on certain premises prohibited; applicability; violation as
misdemeanor; penalty.
Sec. 234d. (1) Except as provided in subsection (2), a person shall not possess a firearm on the premises of
any of the following:
(a) A depository financial institution or a subsidiary or affiliate of a depository financial institution.
(b) A church or other house of religious worship.
(c) A court.
(d) A theatre.
(e) A sports arena.
(f) A day care center.
(g) A hospital.
(h) An establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control act, Act No. 8 of the Public Acts of the
Extra Session of 1933, being sections 436.1 to 436.58 of the Michigan Compiled Laws.
(2) This section does not apply to any of the following:
(a) A person who owns, or is employed by or contracted by, an entity described in subsection (1) if the
possession of that firearm is to provide security services for that entity.
(b) A peace officer.
(c) A person licensed by this state or another state to carry a concealed weapon.
(d) A person who possesses a firearm on the premises of an entity described in subsection (1) if that
possession is with the permission of the owner or an agent of the owner of that entity.
(3) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for not more
than 90 days or a fine of not more than $100.00, or both.
History: Add. 1990, Act 321, Eff. Mar. 28, 1991;Am. 1992, Act 218, Imd. Eff. Oct. 13, 1992;Am. 1994, Act 158, Eff. Aug. 15,
Rendered