• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

IWB open carry.

sigrscu

So today I decided it was concealed carry day and put my 1911 in an IWB holster and threw on a jacket and went out and about with the wife. It was gettin a little warm and I went into a few places without my jacket on and a gentleman asked me if I knew my gun was visible. I said yes and he said well if it's being carried like that it has to be concealed. I just said okay and continued on with my buisness, not really feeling like going into with the guy.
I guess my question is can I openy carry using and IWB holster with just the grip and hammer and the rear of the slide showing?
Don't really know and it isn't a big deal,
Just thought I'd check with you fine people.
By the way, I couldn't make it out to the desert this weekend for some range cleanup ( wife had a honey do list as long as my post)
But I'm gonna try for next weekend if the weather breaks.

rushcreek2

Not being a resident of Utah, I'm a bit hesitant to address this question. I could not find any direct reference to this "issue" - so I'm going to suggest that is probably NOT an issue under Utah law, but is apparently an "issue" with the "gentleman" who observed your NONCONCEALED HANDGUN in plain view. Just because a holstered handgun doesn't "jump out" and immediately serve notice to all persons present that you are armed - doesn't translate to concealment. This seems to be a case of the other end of the spectrum from MWAG "alarm"- undue "concern" resulting from failure to readily observe the presence of an armed citizen.

I myself prefer IWB holsters for comfort reasons. The fit is close to the body and does not create interference with my own activities, or risk a "bump-up" against something or someone else in close quarter situations. I suppose IWB carry CAN approach the threshhold of concealment , just as a subcompact, or BUG gun can be stealthy - "concealed" from obvious perception - though not technically concealed. Obviously in your contact with this "gentleman" your gun was NOT concealed or he would not have observed it.

Might some LEO take issue with IWB "discreet" carry without a CCW permit - perhaps. Just like Colorado - if I have a CHP- I'm covered for concealment, and it's not an issue if observed ( except in Denver).When I'm in Texas my IWB carry is very "discreet" - tuckable or under a fold of shirt - and not readily observable= therefore concealed.

I don't really see the "issue" here, other than some people have difficulty handling "gray areas" - too much brain-strain I guess. I've never been approached by anyone like your "gentleman". How you prefer to carry is YOUR business. I personally have a low tolerance for such narrow-minded, and unsolicited know-it-all prognostications.

Some people on this forum - who I highly respect - seem to feel that IWB carry is a wimpy way to OC. The way I see it that gun - and how you choose to carry it -is YOUR responsibility. Again I would think a CCW permit covers any alleged "CONCEALMENT". If your handgun is clearly identifiable as such - it isn't concealed. I hope my 2 cents provides some helpful perspective.

Last edited:

utbagpiper

Banned
Since you started the day concealed, I'll assume you have a permit. If you do have a permit, you may carry concealed but are not required to do so. So there is no problem if someone sees your gun.

If you do not have a permit to carry, then the gun must not be concealed. Whether an IWB holster without a covering garment actually hides enough of the gun/holster to make it concealed is possibly debatable, but if a typical person can readily observe the firearm and immediately tell that it is a firearm, I would argue that the firearm is not concealed.

I am not a lawyer, YMMV, this is not legal advice, etc, etc, etc.

Charles

Misplaced Texan

I agree fully with you rushcreek2. It is up to you how you want to carry. If this idiot saw the gun, it OBVIOUSLY was not concealed. These dummies always seem to think that they need to inform us what they "THINK". laughable. Always shows their IQ level. When asked about any facts, the usual response is " ugh, I just know", or " I saw it on Law and Order or some other " law show". Which if you have seen these shows, which are based in Metro New City or Metro southern California, you know just how JAM PACKED those shows are with PRO: Constitution, Bill of Rights, self defense, RKBA, personal respondsibility, personal liberty and freedom advocates.

Those of us that make up the law abiding armed society; spend hours upon hours and lots of $ researching laws and lawful techniques, and practise practise practise.

Those that "just know"; How much time & $ do they spend before opening mouth & inserting foot??????????

GenkiSudo

Ignorance does not determine IQ Texan.

I have a full sized .40 and carry the same way. I don't prefer to OC but it's plainly visible if I take off my jacket, which I often do. Then again I have my CCW so I don't really care what uninformed folks think of my carry style.

I honestly don't know if that little bit showing would legally be considered OC....that's an area I wouldn't like to tread if I didn't have my permit.

SiRed91

I beleive, if I remember correctly from my class, that it has to be one or the other, either IWB and concealed or OWB ond concealed or completely visible.

rpyne

Don't guess, don't take someone's word for it, know the law.

There is nothing in the law that says it must be completely visible or be completely concealed:

UCA 76-10-501 (3) (a) "Concealed dangerous weapon" means a dangerous weapon that is covered, hidden, or secreted in a manner that the public would not be aware of its presence and is readily accessible for immediate use.

Last edited: