• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kansas City, MO Fox 4 News - Group open carries in the Plaza

Mike

Site Co-Founder
http://www.kspr.com/news/local/wdaf-missouri-open-gun-carry-110710,0,5008546.story with video

SNIP

KANSAS CITY, MO. — A group of people armed with guns make their way through the plaza. Their weapons were in plain sight. They're making a statement that they have the right to bear arms.

The open carry Missouri group met on the Plaza on Saturday. State law in both Kansas and Missouri allow people to openly carry firearms, with proper registration. Members of the group say carrying a gun is part of their daily routine. They say it's about protecting their rights and educating people.

"A reason we open carry is to let the public get more comfortable with us so they're not afraid to see someone with a firearm," said James Hardegen with Open Carr of Missouri.
. . .

brolin_1911a1

http://www.kspr.com/news/local/wdaf-missouri-open-gun-carry-110710,0,5008546.story with video

SNIP

KANSAS CITY, MO. — A group of people armed with guns make their way through the plaza. Their weapons were in plain sight. They're making a statement that they have the right to bear arms.

The open carry Missouri group met on the Plaza on Saturday. State law in both Kansas and Missouri allow people to openly carry firearms, with proper registration. Members of the group say carrying a gun is part of their daily routine. They say it's about protecting their rights and educating people.

"A reason we open carry is to let the public get more comfortable with us so they're not afraid to see someone with a firearm," said James Hardegen with Open Carr of Missouri.
. . .

"With proper registration?!?" I just emailed the reporter, Dave Dunn, and got off the phone with a news desk reporter named George [didn't catch thelast name] asking both for the source of that bogus statement. I was not confrontational. I just explained that I've seen that statement or claim in numerous Missouri urban news stories and would very much like to know who or what is telling reporters that guns must be "properly registered" in Missouri. I'm waiting to see if either of those gentlemen gets back to me with a reply.

Otherwise, good job. I read elsewhere that several Kansas City officers observed from nearby but offered no objections or problems.

John563

I was there and I do not recall anyone saying anything about proper registration. We said a lot only a little was put on TV. We are just happy that it turned out as a positive interview. At least for our first.

nrepuyan

I was there and I do not recall anyone saying anything about proper registration. We said a lot only a little was put on TV. We are just happy that it turned out as a positive interview. At least for our first.

the news reporter said the proper registration bit. thought it was another awful twist of words by the media on this. props to everyone else...thumbs down to the media.

cash50

I think we need "Writing Licenses" for journalists. They take a class every so often, pass a test, and then pay a fee to be able to write in a newspaper or magazine. Then when they make a mistake, we pull that "License" from that person(s). Also, we force them to register their notebooks, pens, computers, and printers so we know who wrote what. It only makes sense to protect the safety and reputation of others.