Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ODU Campus Carry - WAVY 10 (Hampton Roads) 11/8 at 6:00PM

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

ODU Campus Carry - WAVY 10 (Hampton Roads) 11/8 at 6:00PM

WAVY 10 has been advertising a story about ODU students wanting to allowed to carry on campus.

The story is scheduled to air at 6:00PM today - Mon Nov 8th

Hope someone will record it for viewing by those of us beyond the transmission area.

See Online Petition for campus carry:
    http://www.thepetitionsite.com/2/Old...ed-Carry-Safe/
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 11-08-2010 at 10:16 PM. Reason: added link
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Exclamation

What disturbs me and makes me think that this is just going to be another hit piece is that they are calling it a "controversy".

I'm going to watch, but it's during my suppertime. I hope I can keep my food down.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Even if they report it from a negative position - it is exposure and IMO less and less people are drinking the beverage as served. The more people hear and see, the more they are prodded to think for themselves, to question, to reach their own conclusions.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Even if they report it from a negative position - it is exposure and IMO less and less people are drinking the beverage as served. The more people hear and see, the more they are prodded to think for themselves, to question, to reach their own conclusions.
    Agreed. It is just difficult going in knowing what the "official" position of the school is, despite Constitutional law, Commonwealth law and current events.

I know that we have a small group of active "youngsters" on campus [ahem] "gunning" for the right to carry, and I have spoken with a fair number when I taught over there who agreed that lawful carry should be allowed on campus... but it always feels like an uphill battle, no matter which way we're headed.

I will certainly be following this with some great interest.

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

10 on your side... I hope they are on OUR side.

Are university's tax payer money right?? a public place like a public park, same for public schools? how do they make their on little laws, that is violation of the law. Look at my quote.. This needs to be taken care of, crime happens so much on school grounds, I WONDER WHY? why is there so much crime at a school such as ODU, that police have to patrol it? walmart only needs it at night, target doesnt have police patroling it(far as I know)

--Why is there not as much crime at these locations such as shopping areas? because people can carry guns at these locations and crime is reduced.
    Last edited by ocholsteroc; 11-08-2010 at 11:02 AM.
    How come a DUI you can get your driver licence back, which it is a privilege. But if commiting a felon, even something non violent like stealing, you are denied your constitutional rights for the rest of your life?
    If you don't support the Second Amendment to the Constitution, what other parts of the Constitution do you reject?
    More restrictions on guns? how about restrictions on chainsaws and knives?

Quote Originally Posted by wylde007 View Post
    Agreed. It is just difficult going in knowing what the "official" position of the school is, despite Constitutional law, Commonwealth law and current events.

I know that we have a small group of active "youngsters" on campus [ahem] "gunning" for the right to carry, and I have spoken with a fair number when I taught over there who agreed that lawful carry should be allowed on campus... but it always feels like an uphill battle, no matter which way we're headed.

I will certainly be following this with some great interest.
    Lawful carry is already legal on campus. It is the threat of expulsion or termination that deters students and staff from exercising their prerogative.

Having attended both of the ODU OC Luncheons (Held at the Retro Diner near the campus) I am very happy with this press exposure. The luncheon turnout was disappointing. We agreed more exposure was needed. This is definately that exposure.

There is little to lose and much to gain at this point.
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Lawful carry is already legal on campus. It is the threat of expulsion or termination that deters students and staff from exercising their prerogative.
    So you are saying its legal to carry on campus such as ODU? I thought it was NO because its a school, but then again its tax payer so its a public place, like a park, right? Its just "thier rules" ... I am now confused its in my qoute "If States and Localities cannot ban guns, then how does a university have power to do so?"
    Last edited by ocholsteroc; 11-08-2010 at 12:35 PM.
    How come a DUI you can get your driver licence back, which it is a privilege. But if commiting a felon, even something non violent like stealing, you are denied your constitutional rights for the rest of your life?
    If you don't support the Second Amendment to the Constitution, what other parts of the Constitution do you reject?

Quote Originally Posted by ocholsteroc View Post
    So you are saying its legal to carry on campus such as ODU? I thought it was NO because its a school, but then again its tax payer so its a public place, like a park, right?
    The deal is that anyone, including students and faculty, can LEGALLY carry on campus. However, a faculty member will be fired for carrying, and a student expelled. Immediately after that student is expelled, however, he can OC all over the campus, anywhere that's public access. What are they going to do, expell him again?

An example: I am a sometime student at Northern VA Community College. I've also been carrying since 1995. I can carry, and have carried, on the campuses of VA Tech and UVA. However, if I get caught carrying on an NVCC campus, they can take administrative (not legal) action against me.

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    So you are saying its legal to carry on campus such as ODU? I thought it was NO because its a school,
    A college doesn't fit the criteria....

� 18.2-308.1. Possession of firearm, stun weapon, or other weapon on school property prohibited.

B. If any person possesses any firearm designed or intended to expel a projectile by action of an explosion of a combustible material while such person is upon (i) any public, private or religious elementary, middle or high school, including buildings and grounds; (ii) that portion of any property open to the public and then exclusively used for school-sponsored functions or extracurricular activities while such functions or activities are taking place; or (iii) any school bus owned or operated by any such school, he shall be guilty of a Class 6 felony; however, if the person possesses any firearm within a public, private or religious elementary, middle or high school building and intends to use, or attempts to use, such firearm, or displays such weapon in a threatening manner, such person shall be sentenced to a mandatory minimum term of imprisonment of five years to be served consecutively with any other sentence.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

So you are saying its legal to carry on campus such as ODU? I thought it was NO because its a school, but then again its tax payer so its a public place, like a park, right? Its just "thier rules" ... I am now confused its in my qoute "If States and Localities cannot ban guns, then how does a university have power to do so?"
    Virginia code is silent on guns and public colleges.

University "rules and regulations" do not effect non-students/non-employees - they may face sanctions from the school.

If you search this site and/or goggle, you will find many people that have carried on various campuses.

Here is one report regarding Blueridge Community College and JMU:
    http://www.roanoke.com/news/nrv/wb/xp-21770

WAVY 10 has been advertising a story about ODU students wanting to allowed to carry on campus.

The story is scheduled to air at 6:00PM today - Mon Nov 8th

Hope someone will record it for viewing by those of us beyond the transmission area.
    Grapeshot...www.wavy.com runs streaming video of their news broadcasts.

I know this.

That's not the point I was trying to make.

How about this then: Lawful carry should be allowed on campus by students and faculty without threat of expulsion or termination (?)

Which was the implied intent.

I know this.

That's not the point I was trying to make.

How about this then: Lawful carry should be allowed on campus by students and faculty without threat of expulsion or termination (?)

Which was the implied intent.
    I had no doubt that you were very aware. No slight intended.

I was only strengthening the point for those that might not enjoy full knowledge.

Talking

I had no doubt that you were very aware. No slight intended.

I was only strengthening the point for those that might not enjoy full knowledge.
    10-4.

My interwebz condescension-tone indicator must be on the frang again.

I heard two students had CHP'S during the Va tect shooting, why didnt they carry inside then if its legal???

by campus do you mean, in the parking lots, or in class?
    Last edited by ocholsteroc; 11-08-2010 at 03:56 PM.

Angry

by campus do you mean, in the parking lots, or in class?
    It is against SCHOOL POLICY.

If you are a student or faculty member on campus for official school business then you are forbidden by policy from carrying. Period.

If you are a private citizen then you are free to carry about the public areas of the school however you may please so long as you do not enter any campus buildings including, apparently, the stadium facilities.

The rules, however, do not effect criminals in any way which makes college campuses prime operating environments for armed thugs because they have a virtually captive, defenseless quarry to prey upon.

It is against SCHOOL POLICY.

If you are a student or faculty member on campus for official school business then you are forbidden by policy from carrying. Period.

If you are a private citizen then you are free to carry about the public areas of the school however you may please so long as you do not enter any campus buildings including, apparently, the stadium facilities.

The rules, however, do not effect criminals in any way which makes college campuses prime operating environments for armed thugs because they have a virtually captive, defenseless quarry to prey upon.
    Thank you for clearing it up, they where confusing me by its legal to carry on campus, I see what you mean, private citizen vs a student... UNFAIR

Virginia code is silent on guns and public colleges.
    Virginia Legislative Code is silent, and just like OC and everything else, if it's silent, then it is legal. Virginia Administrative Code (rules for state agencies, which public universities are) on the other hand, contains two bans...GMU Buildings and Events, and VCU property. eta: and last Monday an OCDO member presented oral arguments before the VA Supreme Court in a lawsuit against GMU for their gun ban. I can't tell you how much I hope he's victorious.
    University "rules and regulations" do not effect non-students/non-employees - they may face sanctions from the school.
    With exception for GMU Buildings and Events, and VCU property.
    Last edited by nova; 11-08-2010 at 05:09 PM.

Just watched the segment. They made it sound like it is against the law to carry on campus now and the "Young Republican" that is involved with the petition process kept saying concealed carry. Never a mention of open carry. Not a TERRIBLE piece but it shows their ignorance. They said they would be following up on comments on their webpage during the 11pm show

Online Petition

The petition is open to "members of the community."

Looks like they could use some help. Yes, it's about concealed carry but CC is better than nothing at all.

Online petition

Quote Originally Posted by vbnative73 View Post
    The petition is open to "members of the community."

Looks like they could use some help. Yes, it's about concealed carry but CC is better than nothing at all.
    Just signed the petition - only 59 counted so far, the need a minimum of 5000.

Come on - ROLL

BTW - It reads that those "with Valid Concealed Carry Permits........be permitted to carry."
    ..........I see nothing in that wording to exclude OC w/permit.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 11-08-2010 at 08:25 PM. Reason: added

Up to 66 now.

ODU STATEMENT, Got it from wavy 10 video,
    "the university has a wide range of safety measures in place to provide an environment where members of our community are free to learn and grow"

What the heck? Free to learn and grow to get robbed? hey come ol down we teach you how to get robbed and mugged for free. Why do the criminals have all the rights .....

I am confused on the girls statement, "A lot of the crime I think comes with going to school in a city. If you're going to come here, you should be ready for that. It's Norfolk, it's not the middle of nowhere,"

"If you're going to come here, you should be ready for that."
    Hmmm, allow guns?
    Last edited by ocholsteroc; 11-08-2010 at 11:59 PM.

Exclamation

The article and story are available here:

http://www.wavy.com/dpp/news/local_n...-carry-weapons

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast