• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ODU Campus Carry - WAVY 10 (Hampton Roads) 11/8 at 6:00PM

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
WAVY 10 has been advertising a story about ODU students wanting to allowed to carry on campus.

The story is scheduled to air at 6:00PM today - Mon Nov 8th

Hope someone will record it for viewing by those of us beyond the transmission area.

See Online Petition for campus carry:
http://www.thepetitionsite.com/2/Old...ed-Carry-Safe/

Last edited:

wylde007

What disturbs me and makes me think that this is just going to be another hit piece is that they are calling it a "controversy".

I'm going to watch, but it's during my suppertime. I hope I can keep my food down. :eek:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Even if they report it from a negative position - it is exposure and IMO less and less people are drinking the beverage as served. The more people hear and see, the more they are prodded to think for themselves, to question, to reach their own conclusions.

wylde007

Even if they report it from a negative position - it is exposure and IMO less and less people are drinking the beverage as served. The more people hear and see, the more they are prodded to think for themselves, to question, to reach their own conclusions.
Agreed. It is just difficult going in knowing what the "official" position of the school is, despite Constitutional law, Commonwealth law and current events.

I know that we have a small group of active "youngsters" on campus [ahem] "gunning" for the right to carry, and I have spoken with a fair number when I taught over there who agreed that lawful carry should be allowed on campus... but it always feels like an uphill battle, no matter which way we're headed.

I will certainly be following this with some great interest.

ocholsteroc

10 on your side... I hope they are on OUR side.

Are university's tax payer money right?? a public place like a public park, same for public schools? how do they make their on little laws, that is violation of the law. Look at my quote.. This needs to be taken care of, crime happens so much on school grounds, I WONDER WHY? why is there so much crime at a school such as ODU, that police have to patrol it? walmart only needs it at night, target doesnt have police patroling it(far as I know)

--Why is there not as much crime at these locations such as shopping areas? because people can carry guns at these locations and crime is reduced.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Agreed. It is just difficult going in knowing what the "official" position of the school is, despite Constitutional law, Commonwealth law and current events.

I know that we have a small group of active "youngsters" on campus [ahem] "gunning" for the right to carry, and I have spoken with a fair number when I taught over there who agreed that lawful carry should be allowed on campus... but it always feels like an uphill battle, no matter which way we're headed.

I will certainly be following this with some great interest.

Lawful carry is already legal on campus. It is the threat of expulsion or termination that deters students and staff from exercising their prerogative.

Thundar

Having attended both of the ODU OC Luncheons (Held at the Retro Diner near the campus) I am very happy with this press exposure. The luncheon turnout was disappointing. We agreed more exposure was needed. This is definately that exposure.

There is little to lose and much to gain at this point.

ocholsteroc

Lawful carry is already legal on campus. It is the threat of expulsion or termination that deters students and staff from exercising their prerogative.

So you are saying its legal to carry on campus such as ODU? I thought it was NO because its a school, but then again its tax payer so its a public place, like a park, right? Its just "thier rules" ... I am now confused :confused: its in my qoute "If States and Localities cannot ban guns, then how does a university have power to do so?"

Last edited:

3fgburner

So you are saying its legal to carry on campus such as ODU? I thought it was NO because its a school, but then again its tax payer so its a public place, like a park, right?

The deal is that anyone, including students and faculty, can LEGALLY carry on campus. However, a faculty member will be fired for carrying, and a student expelled. Immediately after that student is expelled, however, he can OC all over the campus, anywhere that's public access. What are they going to do, expell him again?

An example: I am a sometime student at Northern VA Community College. I've also been carrying since 1995. I can carry, and have carried, on the campuses of VA Tech and UVA. However, if I get caught carrying on an NVCC campus, they can take administrative (not legal) action against me.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
So you are saying its legal to carry on campus such as ODU? I thought it was NO because its a school,

A college doesn't fit the criteria....

� 18.2-308.1. Possession of firearm, stun weapon, or other weapon on school property prohibited.

B. If any person possesses any firearm designed or intended to expel a projectile by action of an explosion of a combustible material while such person is upon (i) any public, private or religious elementary, middle or high school, including buildings and grounds; (ii) that portion of any property open to the public and then exclusively used for school-sponsored functions or extracurricular activities while such functions or activities are taking place; or (iii) any school bus owned or operated by any such school, he shall be guilty of a Class 6 felony; however, if the person possesses any firearm within a public, private or religious elementary, middle or high school building and intends to use, or attempts to use, such firearm, or displays such weapon in a threatening manner, such person shall be sentenced to a mandatory minimum term of imprisonment of five years to be served consecutively with any other sentence.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
So you are saying its legal to carry on campus such as ODU? I thought it was NO because its a school, but then again its tax payer so its a public place, like a park, right? Its just "thier rules" ... I am now confused :confused: its in my qoute "If States and Localities cannot ban guns, then how does a university have power to do so?"

Virginia code is silent on guns and public colleges.

University "rules and regulations" do not effect non-students/non-employees - they may face sanctions from the school.

If you search this site and/or goggle, you will find many people that have carried on various campuses.

Here is one report regarding Blueridge Community College and JMU:
http://www.roanoke.com/news/nrv/wb/xp-21770

wylde007

I know this.

That's not the point I was trying to make.

How about this then: Lawful carry should be allowed on campus by students and faculty without threat of expulsion or termination (?)

Which was the implied intent.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

I know this.

That's not the point I was trying to make.

How about this then: Lawful carry should be allowed on campus by students and faculty without threat of expulsion or termination (?)

Which was the implied intent.

I had no doubt that you were very aware. No slight intended. :D

I was only strengthening the point for those that might not enjoy full knowledge.

wylde007

by campus do you mean, in the parking lots, or in class?
It is against SCHOOL POLICY.

If you are a student or faculty member on campus for official school business then you are forbidden by policy from carrying. Period.

If you are a private citizen then you are free to carry about the public areas of the school however you may please so long as you do not enter any campus buildings including, apparently, the stadium facilities.

The rules, however, do not effect criminals in any way which makes college campuses prime operating environments for armed thugs because they have a virtually captive, defenseless quarry to prey upon.

ocholsteroc

It is against SCHOOL POLICY.

If you are a student or faculty member on campus for official school business then you are forbidden by policy from carrying. Period.

If you are a private citizen then you are free to carry about the public areas of the school however you may please so long as you do not enter any campus buildings including, apparently, the stadium facilities.

The rules, however, do not effect criminals in any way which makes college campuses prime operating environments for armed thugs because they have a virtually captive, defenseless quarry to prey upon.

Thank you for clearing it up, they where confusing me by its legal to carry on campus, I see what you mean, private citizen vs a student... UNFAIR:banghead::banghead:

nova

Virginia code is silent on guns and public colleges.
Virginia Legislative Code is silent, and just like OC and everything else, if it's silent, then it is legal. Virginia Administrative Code (rules for state agencies, which public universities are) on the other hand, contains two bans...GMU Buildings and Events, and VCU property. eta: and last Monday an OCDO member presented oral arguments before the VA Supreme Court in a lawsuit against GMU for their gun ban. I can't tell you how much I hope he's victorious.
University "rules and regulations" do not effect non-students/non-employees - they may face sanctions from the school.

With exception for GMU Buildings and Events, and VCU property.

Last edited:

driveramsII

Just watched the segment. They made it sound like it is against the law to carry on campus now and the "Young Republican" that is involved with the petition process kept saying concealed carry. Never a mention of open carry. Not a TERRIBLE piece but it shows their ignorance. They said they would be following up on comments on their webpage during the 11pm show