Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 32

Thread: Legislators that are interested in the Repeal of 941.23

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Chilton, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    3,481

    Legislators that are interested in the Repeal of 941.23

    Again this morning, I have spoken personally with State Senator Frank Lasee. I have also left a follow up message for State Assembly Representative Al Ott.

    Both of these individuals have told me that they are interested in supporting a Repeal of 941.23.
    To quote Frank Lasee, " I believe Gunderson will come forward with his CCW Bill again as soon as Walker takes office. While a Repeal would give us virtually VT style of carry,This would fit my agenda. We may be stuck with Gunderson's Bill although I will support and try to gain more support for a repeal of 941.23. I will do my best."

    Now it is up to everyone to keep on him and get the job done. We have a legislator who is willing. In fact both of them are willing. So get those calls made keep calling them so we can be sure they stay on top of it. Give them your opinions and lets make this happen.

    I have tried to call the WCI hotline to pass this info on but no one answered my call.
    None of them have responded to my posts on here either. It is up to us as individuals I guess.
    Last edited by J.Gleason; 11-08-2010 at 12:03 PM.

  2. #2
    Regular Member xd40arff's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin, United States
    Posts
    133

    From Senator Kedzie's Office

    November 8, 2010

    Dear Mr. XXXXX,

    Thank you for contacting the office of Senator Neal Kedzie regarding a request for a repeal of Wis. Stats. 941.23, relating to carrying a concealed weapon.

    We are quite certain some type of legislative effort regarding conceal and carry will be offered in some fashion for the coming 2011-12 legislative session. At this time, it is unclear how or when that may occur, as the immediate focus is the looming state budget deficit, economic recovery initiatives, and job creation. Those will be the major priorities for the new Legislature and Governor in 2011, but certainly, we believe other issues such as conceal and carry will be on the agenda at some point in time.

    Again, thank you for contacting the office of Senator Neal Kedzie on this matter.

    Sincerely,

    Dan Johnson
    Chief of Staff
    State Senator Neal Kedzie
    11th Senate District
    Last edited by xd40arff; 11-08-2010 at 12:12 PM.

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Chilton, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    3,481
    Yeah thanks Kedzie for all of your support.....NOT!

    He should go on the watch list.

  4. #4
    Regular Member comp45acp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Watertown, WI, ,
    Posts
    383
    Quote Originally Posted by xd40arff View Post
    November 8, 2010

    Dear Mr. XXXXX,

    Thank you for contacting the office of Senator Neal Kedzie regarding a request for a repeal of Wis. Stats. 941.23, relating to carrying a concealed weapon.

    We are quite certain some type of legislative effort regarding conceal and carry will be offered in some fashion for the coming 2011-12 legislative session. At this time, it is unclear how or when that may occur, as the immediate focus is the looming state budget deficit, economic recovery initiatives, and job creation. Those will be the major priorities for the new Legislature and Governor in 2011, but certainly, we believe other issues such as conceal and carry will be on the agenda at some point in time.

    Again, thank you for contacting the office of Senator Neal Kedzie on this matter.

    Sincerely,

    Dan Johnson
    Chief of Staff
    State Senator Neal Kedzie
    11th Senate District
    I got the same email response even though I sent him a snail mail letter. Disappointing, but not surprising. Doyle and the Democrats have left a big $hit sandwich for Walker and the Republicans in terms of deficit spending and loss of jobs. This is the thing most people in the state want action on and that is what the Republicans are going to address first. They will no doubt get around to "conceal and carry" as they like to say but it will not be at the top of the agenda list.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Chilton, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    3,481
    That is fine, it will give us time to introduce the repeal.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    178
    So if 941.23 is repealed and nothing else is done, aren't we still stuck with prohibition of carry in vehicles and the gun free school zones? Am I missing something important here?

  7. #7
    Founder's Club Member Brass Magnet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Right Behind You!, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,818
    Quote Originally Posted by professor gun View Post
    So if 941.23 is repealed and nothing else is done, aren't we still stuck with prohibition of carry in vehicles and the gun free school zones? Am I missing something important here?
    You're right, but I think the idea is to not confuse the subject until we get a list of legislators in line with repealing 941.23. There was a thread started by Gleason, I believe, in which the statutes in need of repeal were listed by various members.
    R[ƎVO˩]UTION

    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

    Lex malla, lex nulla

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Chilton, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    3,481
    Again I have tried to pass this info on to WCI. I have apparently been placed on ignore.
    I guess if they don't care then there is no further reason for my efforts.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    9,193
    Let's remember that 167.31 is a civil infraction akin to a traffic ticket that some here take as cool-cachet. It needs to have a pretty low priority. Both GFSZ and no-CCW are regarded as unconstitutional even outside.

  10. #10
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator Gray Peterson's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Lynnwood, Washington, USA
    Posts
    2,238
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Gleason View Post
    Again I have tried to pass this info on to WCI. I have apparently been placed on ignore.
    I guess if they don't care then there is no further reason for my efforts.
    How do you know you're on ignore?

  11. #11
    State Researcher lockman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Elgin, Illinois, USA
    Posts
    1,202
    Quote Originally Posted by Brass Magnet View Post
    You're right, but I think the idea is to not confuse the subject until we get a list of legislators in line with repealing 941.23. There was a thread started by Gleason, I believe, in which the statutes in need of repeal were listed by various members.
    I thought that open carrying in a vehicle was prohibited because it was considered concealed? Is there a specific loaded gun in a vehicle prohibition not utilizing 941.23?

  12. #12
    Founder's Club Member Brass Magnet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Right Behind You!, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,818
    Quote Originally Posted by lockman View Post
    I thought that open carrying in a vehicle was prohibited because it was considered concealed? Is there a specific loaded gun in a vehicle prohibition not utilizing 941.23?
    Yes, and yes; 167.31
    R[ƎVO˩]UTION

    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

    Lex malla, lex nulla

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Under your bed
    Posts
    542
    Quote Originally Posted by professor gun View Post
    So if 941.23 is repealed and nothing else is done, aren't we still stuck with prohibition of carry in vehicles and the gun free school zones? Am I missing something important here?
    The main goal should be to repeal 941.23. If we are successful our (people who carry a firearm) numbers will increase dramatically overnight. With so many people realizing the other restrictions it will only be a short time before they are dealt with. The only reason vehicle carry hasn't been challenged is because it really only effects us and the hunters. Given more time and with our movement growing we would have eventually challenged the vehicle law. Remember it wasn't long ago nobody carried for fear of getting a disorderly conduct charge, now we carry relatively hassle free.

    In my opinion we need to repeal 941.23, grow our numbers with the concealed carry people and then we will have a powerful, unified voice to go after all the other restrictions more effectively.

  14. #14
    Centurion
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Yuma, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    923

    That is a good plan. Recruit at gun shows.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jason in WI View Post
    The main goal should be to repeal 941.23. If we are successful our (people who carry a firearm) numbers will increase dramatically overnight. With so many people realizing the other restrictions it will only be a short time before they are dealt with. The only reason vehicle carry hasn't been challenged is because it really only effects us and the hunters. Given more time and with our movement growing we would have eventually challenged the vehicle law. Remember it wasn't long ago nobody carried for fear of getting a disorderly conduct charge, now we carry relatively hassle free.

    In my opinion we need to repeal 941.23, grow our numbers with the concealed carry people and then we will have a powerful, unified voice to go after all the other restrictions more effectively.
    AZCDL did a lot of recruiting at gun shows, and kept an active email list to lobby legislatures. There are a lot of proto-activists out there who are willing to help, if given just a little encouragement and direction. They will help build the organization as well. Use the first ones to recruit more at more gun shows. The gun show operators will likely give you a table for free, when they see that they are helping protect our Constitutional rights, which includes their rights to operate gun shows.

  15. #15
    Regular Member paul@paul-fisher.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Chandler, AZ
    Posts
    4,047
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason in WI View Post
    The main goal should be to repeal 941.23. If we are successful our (people who carry a firearm) numbers will increase dramatically overnight. With so many people realizing the other restrictions it will only be a short time before they are dealt with. The only reason vehicle carry hasn't been challenged is because it really only effects us and the hunters. Given more time and with our movement growing we would have eventually challenged the vehicle law. Remember it wasn't long ago nobody carried for fear of getting a disorderly conduct charge, now we carry relatively hassle free.

    In my opinion we need to repeal 941.23, grow our numbers with the concealed carry people and then we will have a powerful, unified voice to go after all the other restrictions more effectively.
    +1


    When 941.23 falls, the rest will.

  16. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Chilton, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    3,481
    Quote Originally Posted by paul@paul-fisher.com View Post
    +1


    When 941.23 falls, the rest will.
    I agree and we must be vigilant in our contacts with our legislators. Otherwise the NRA will make the rules and mandated training will be a reality.

  17. #17
    Regular Member paul@paul-fisher.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Chandler, AZ
    Posts
    4,047
    I heard an interview with the new incoming Senate President and he stated that the 1st legislation they will consider is the Voter ID statute.

    We need to call our Senator immediately (again).

    We were told by Senator Kedzie that a repeal of 941.23 and ANY OTHER LEGISLATION NOT DIRECTLY RELATED TO BUDGET DEFICIT AND JOBS were to be put on the back burner until those 2 priorities were dealt with. That is something I personally could of agreed with, however, if they are going to slide through other stuff, 941.23 is very important 'other stuff'.

    I am going to Madison this afternoon for some other stuff and will stop in to see Nass and Kedzie if they are there.

    Let's keep the pressure up. Someone at least needs to commit to getting the LRB started on writing the repeal so at least it's ready to go.

    http://www.onewisconsinnow.org/press...id-create.html

  18. #18
    Regular Member anmut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Stevens Point WI, ,
    Posts
    879
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Gleason View Post
    That is fine, it will give us time to introduce the repeal.
    +1 on that. What I really don't want to see is some B.S. shall-issue pushed through just to get it off their desks.

  19. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Chilton, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    3,481
    Quote Originally Posted by anmut View Post
    +1 on that. What I really don't want to see is some B.S. shall-issue pushed through just to get it off their desks.
    That would be Gunderson's Bill

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    178
    Quote Originally Posted by paul@paul-fisher.com View Post
    +1


    When 941.23 falls, the rest will.
    How do you know this? Are the citizens of Wisconsin really willing to continue with the ridiculous situation that whenever we carry and use a vehicle we must take off the gun, unload, case, then reverse the process every place we go? Also, if you carry in a GFSZ you are at legal risk? So if 941.23 is repealed what do we gain over what we have now (which is silly)? My concern is that this will deflect from the real issue that we need a viable concealed carry law in this State that includes changes in the GFSZ and vehicle carry. With the political climate now I think that the time is ripe to do this rather than just repeal 941.23 and hope that somehow, maybe later, someone gets around to dealing with the other restrictions that interfere with a legitimate right to carry.

  21. #21
    Regular Member paul@paul-fisher.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Chandler, AZ
    Posts
    4,047
    Quote Originally Posted by professor gun View Post
    How do you know this?
    I don't know this. It is conjecture. My thought process is as follows:

    1. Repeal 941.23.
    2. People will hear that cc is legal.
    3. More people will cc because they always wanted to and either couldn't or wouldn't oc due to other factors.
    4. The newly minted cc'ers will find out that they have to do the vehicle, bar, government building, state park and GFSZ dance and write their legislators.

    In addition, a simple repeal doesn't need all sort of hearings, a new cc law, especially one that costs the state money or other resources can get tied up in committee and allows 'special interests' to slide in all sorts of other crap.

  22. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Chilton, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    3,481

    Just sent this email to Jordan Austin (Wisconsin NRA Liaison) email address removed

    Hello Jordan,

    In the wake of the elections, we have new majorities in the State Senate and the State Assembly, with the numbers in favor of Concealed Carry. In the past months the movement has changed to support the repeal of State Statute 941.23 which prohibits ccw at this time. By repealing 941.23, ccw would be allowed without permits and fees or mandated training which is in line with the Wisconsin Constitution Article 1:25 and the newly re-written Republican platform which was changed this year and is in support of non-permitted carry in Wisconsin.

    I am sure I need not remind you that the voters have spoken this year in favor of removing these legislators that choose to cause Wisconsin to lag behind the rest of the country in firearms carry.

    Scott Gunderson is sure to bring forward his CCW Bill which will include fees, permits and mandated training. All of which will create bigger government. which is contrary to the principles of the Republican Party.

    I am asking for yours and the NRA's support in repealing 941.23. Wisconsin Carry Inc., Wisconsin Gun owners and many other Wisconsin Gun Rights groups are in favor of this repeal. Can we count on your support?

    A Clarke County Judge has in recent weeks found that 941.23 is unconstitutional. The Jackson County DA has publicly stated the same. Will the NRA stand with these two individuals who are on the side of gun owners?

    Sincerely,


    James Gleason

    Follow through and hit this guy up!

  23. #23
    Founder's Club Member protias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    SE, WI
    Posts
    7,319
    Done
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

    If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

    I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

  24. #24
    Regular Member paul@paul-fisher.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Chandler, AZ
    Posts
    4,047
    I stopped by Kedzie's office at lunch today. He wasn't there but I talked to his legislative assistant. His point was that we shouldn't believe everything we read.

    He said that the #1 priority will be economy and jobs. He said that even if the voter ID bill is introduced, that doesn't mean action will be taken until after the job and economy stuff is done.

    I implored him to make sure that they do NOT go back on their promises. He said he understood.

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Under your bed
    Posts
    542
    Quote Originally Posted by paul@paul-fisher.com View Post
    I don't know this. It is conjecture. My thought process is as follows:

    1. Repeal 941.23.
    2. People will hear that cc is legal.
    3. More people will cc because they always wanted to and either couldn't or wouldn't oc due to other factors.
    4. The newly minted cc'ers will find out that they have to do the vehicle, bar, government building, state park and GFSZ dance and write their legislators.

    In addition, a simple repeal doesn't need all sort of hearings, a new cc law, especially one that costs the state money or other resources can get tied up in committee and allows 'special interests' to slide in all sorts of other crap.
    Exactly. Most people interested in concealed carry that don't want or agree with open carry have no clue as to the restrictions we have now. Unfortunately the "casual" concealed carrier isn't interested in pushing for and protecting our rights, all they want is to be able to carry and are waiting quietly for a bill to pass. Hopefully we can squeak enough to repeal 941.23 and then that large number of people who start carrying will join us in fighting the other restrictions. Even if we repeal 941.23 and can't remove the vehicle restrictions right away I am still fine with that. I do the dance now and will gladly do the dance if we can carry any way we want. It will be waaaaaay harder to get Constitutional Carry later then it would be to remove the silly restrictions. Besides when we have all those people racking slides and sticking pistols in their pants in busy places the public will demand vehicle carry.

    Another thing I hope might happen is even if a repeal is impossible, the legislators should take notice of our demand for freedom and hopefully keep restrictions in a bill to a minimum. I doubt that will have much affect, but it's got to be better then just asking them to pass a concealed carry bill. Personally, I believe that most firearm restrictions including permit systems are racist and designed to exclude certain segments of the population and doing my minuscule part to help repeal 941.23 instead of seeing how much sugar we can add to a concealed carry bill is just the right thing to do.
    Last edited by Jason in WI; 11-10-2010 at 08:01 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •