• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Legislators that are interested in the Repeal of 941.23

paul@paul-fisher.com

How do you know this?

I don't know this. It is conjecture. My thought process is as follows:

1. Repeal 941.23.
2. People will hear that cc is legal.
3. More people will cc because they always wanted to and either couldn't or wouldn't oc due to other factors.
4. The newly minted cc'ers will find out that they have to do the vehicle, bar, government building, state park and GFSZ dance and write their legislators.

In addition, a simple repeal doesn't need all sort of hearings, a new cc law, especially one that costs the state money or other resources can get tied up in committee and allows 'special interests' to slide in all sorts of other crap.

J.Gleason

Banned
Just sent this email to Jordan Austin (Wisconsin NRA Liaison) email address removed

Hello Jordan,

In the wake of the elections, we have new majorities in the State Senate and the State Assembly, with the numbers in favor of Concealed Carry. In the past months the movement has changed to support the repeal of State Statute 941.23 which prohibits ccw at this time. By repealing 941.23, ccw would be allowed without permits and fees or mandated training which is in line with the Wisconsin Constitution Article 1:25 and the newly re-written Republican platform which was changed this year and is in support of non-permitted carry in Wisconsin.

I am sure I need not remind you that the voters have spoken this year in favor of removing these legislators that choose to cause Wisconsin to lag behind the rest of the country in firearms carry.

Scott Gunderson is sure to bring forward his CCW Bill which will include fees, permits and mandated training. All of which will create bigger government. which is contrary to the principles of the Republican Party.

I am asking for yours and the NRA's support in repealing 941.23. Wisconsin Carry Inc., Wisconsin Gun owners and many other Wisconsin Gun Rights groups are in favor of this repeal. Can we count on your support?

A Clarke County Judge has in recent weeks found that 941.23 is unconstitutional. The Jackson County DA has publicly stated the same. Will the NRA stand with these two individuals who are on the side of gun owners?

Sincerely,

James Gleason

Follow through and hit this guy up!

paul@paul-fisher.com

I stopped by Kedzie's office at lunch today. He wasn't there but I talked to his legislative assistant. His point was that we shouldn't believe everything we read.

He said that the #1 priority will be economy and jobs. He said that even if the voter ID bill is introduced, that doesn't mean action will be taken until after the job and economy stuff is done.

I implored him to make sure that they do NOT go back on their promises. He said he understood.

Jason in WI

1. Repeal 941.23.
3. More people will cc because they always wanted to and either couldn't or wouldn't oc due to other factors.
4. The newly minted cc'ers will find out that they have to do the vehicle, bar, government building, state park and GFSZ dance and write their legislators.

In addition, a simple repeal doesn't need all sort of hearings, a new cc law, especially one that costs the state money or other resources can get tied up in committee and allows 'special interests' to slide in all sorts of other crap.

Exactly. Most people interested in concealed carry that don't want or agree with open carry have no clue as to the restrictions we have now. Unfortunately the "casual" concealed carrier isn't interested in pushing for and protecting our rights, all they want is to be able to carry and are waiting quietly for a bill to pass. Hopefully we can squeak enough to repeal 941.23 and then that large number of people who start carrying will join us in fighting the other restrictions. Even if we repeal 941.23 and can't remove the vehicle restrictions right away I am still fine with that. I do the dance now and will gladly do the dance if we can carry any way we want. It will be waaaaaay harder to get Constitutional Carry later then it would be to remove the silly restrictions. Besides when we have all those people racking slides and sticking pistols in their pants in busy places the public will demand vehicle carry.

Another thing I hope might happen is even if a repeal is impossible, the legislators should take notice of our demand for freedom and hopefully keep restrictions in a bill to a minimum. I doubt that will have much affect, but it's got to be better then just asking them to pass a concealed carry bill. Personally, I believe that most firearm restrictions including permit systems are racist and designed to exclude certain segments of the population and doing my minuscule part to help repeal 941.23 instead of seeing how much sugar we can add to a concealed carry bill is just the right thing to do.

Last edited:

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Scott Gunderson is sure to bring forward his CCW Bill which will include fees, permits and mandated training. All of which will create bigger government. which is contrary to the principles of the Republican Party.

Why would an NRA rep care about political party? Last I checked, the R in NRA doesn't stand for Republican. Just sayin....

J.Gleason

Banned
Why would an NRA rep care about political party? Last I checked, the R in NRA doesn't stand for Republican. Just sayin....

You wre not around last fall when the NRA rep kept saying, "it is just not going to fly this year, we do not have the numbers is the assembly or the senate to override the veto."

What the hell does that tell you?

It might not necessarily fall down to party but how many Dems do you know that are pro gun? Lets be real here. Stop arguing and work with us or please go hang out in the Washington forum. We need support, ideas, encouragement, comradery, and people who will be relentlous in hounding these legislators until they get the job done.

J.Gleason

Banned
His efforts and information are appreciated by many of us. We've got enough problems with actual trolls.

Thanks!

Who is giving him a hard time? I am just letting him know that I am not interested in arguing with someone from Washington about what has happened in Wisconsin, especially concerning the NRA liaison who I personally had conversations with over these issues.

I know what the NRA position was on this and I am not going to let anyone else tell me different. There is a difference between giving some one a hard time and making sure the truth is known.

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
You wre not around last fall when the NRA rep kept saying, "it is just not going to fly this year, we do not have the numbers is the assembly or the senate to override the veto."

Last fall was September to December of 2009. When you mean "override a veto", you would be talking about soon to be ex (thank the gods) Jim Doyle, who vetoed even the bill that you despised because he hated gun owners in general. You needed 2/3rds majority in both houses to pass 941.23 repeal over Doyle's veto, and we (gun owners as a general class of people) simply did not have it. You didn't have it with licensed concealed carry, and certainly would not have with 941.23 repeal.

Tell me, Jim, how do you get two third's vote when you have Governor's willing to flip the yes votes when they offer things like Judicial appointments (Gary Sherman) and use of blackmail (Van Akkeren and Steinbrink)?

These are all obviously criminal acts but Jimmy Doyle did not care. In fact, he was rewarded for this by the voters of the state with re-election in 2006.......

Your math doesn't add up. Jordan's math did.

What the hell does that tell you?

It tells me what Nik posted about you is correct, to quote:

Its a shame you have a habit of jumping to your own erroneous conclusions and posting them on this forum as fact when they are not.

All it tells me is that you're quoting out of context and trying to apply the circumstances of Fall 2009 with Winter/Spring of 2011, with a completely different legislature and governor. Did you have communications with Jordan since then, after he told you what you didn't want to hear?

I know what the NRA position was on this and I am not going to let anyone else tell me different. There is a difference between giving some one a hard time and making sure the truth is known.

Yeah, how does "We don't have the votes to override a Doyle veto on a 941.23 repeal" translate to "I'll never repeal 941.23 and push solely for PPA?"

Quoting again:

Its a shame you have a habit of jumping to your own erroneous conclusions and posting them on this forum as fact when they are not.

AaronS

1. Repeal 941.23.

I agree Paul.
The only fear I have (and I think the OP as well) is that the (big gun club) is going to try to push what it thinks is best for us, faster then we can get a try at any repeal. If the (big gun club) will not take the time to find out what kind of law WE want, it will use its power/money to do what it wants. As far as I can tell (I was never asked), the (big gun club) does not care what WE want at all. Hey, if I am wrong, please let me know.
I don't want to sound like I am bashing the club, I just wish listing to its members was a bit more important to them.

Hope the mods dont have to kill my reply, as I did try not to use the letters NRA...