• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Voice Recorder Suggestions?

Bowers

I'm looking to get a voice recorder to take with me when I CC/OC. Perferably one in the <$50 range. Looking for suggestions from people who have them, and know what works, and what doesn't. I'd like one that has files you can put on a PC. I don't need video recording, although I wouldn't turn it down.

This one has been brought up in a previous thread, and I'd like to know what else people use and have had luck with?
http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1459&page=overview

In case anyone wonders, it'll be used in North Dakota and Minnesota.

jeeper1

I carry and use the Olympus VN-3200PC. I got it from Radio Shack for $50.

Xulld

I EDC the Olympus VN-5000 which looks identical to the picture of the one you are interested in. Its very easy to use, it allows export to the PC, has good sound quality, picks up sound from a good distance and voices can be recognized and understood even with a good deal of background noise. I paid 30 bucks for it and am very satisfied.

I hope this helped.

~Jeremy.

Mo

Banned
How do you carry your voice recorders? Do you keep it concealed and use an external mic?

jeeper1

I just carry mine in my shirt pocket with my spare glasses. The mic is on the top.

N605TW

Activist Member
In my state the law is not very clear and to my understanding of it I must notify anyone that I record that I am recording.

My setup is a RCA VR5320R-A with a wired clip-on microphone from RadioShack. The microphone has an on-off switch that I clip to my belt so I set the recorder on voice activated. Soon as I need to record a conversation I notify all parties involved that I am recording and flip the switch. The whole setup is concealed expect for the half inch or so of black wire from the switch on the belt to the recorder in my pocket.

I just picked up this recorder this week because my old recorder had the record button on the face and it would turn it self off when in my pocket. So far I have no complaints and it even hooks up to the computer so uploading the recordings is a snap. The whole set up set me back about $50. Hope this helps.

sultan62

In my state the law is not very clear and to my understanding of it I must notify anyone that I record that I am recording.

My setup is a RCA VR5320R-A with a wired clip-on microphone from RadioShack. The microphone has an on-off switch that I clip to my belt so I set the recorder on voice activated. Soon as I need to record a conversation I notify all parties involved that I am recording and flip the switch. The whole setup is concealed expect for the half inch or so of black wire from the switch on the belt to the recorder in my pocket.

I just picked up this recorder this week because my old recorder had the record button on the face and it would turn it self off when in my pocket. So far I have no complaints and it even hooks up to the computer so uploading the recordings is a snap. The whole set up set me back about $50. Hope this helps.

I just picked up that same recorder from WalMart tonight. I don't have the the microphone to go with it, I was hoping I wouldn't need anything like that. I'm gonna carry it around to see how well it does in regular conversation on different settings.

Anything you figure out about it that would be useful info, please post. I'll do the same.

N605TW

Activist Member
When I record my self without a microphone I get a lot of "swishing" sounds from the built in microphone rubbing against my pocket. It will work and you can hear a conversation but in my experience a microphone will produce a much better quality recording. I should note that I haven't tried it with this recorder so your mileage may vary. Another thing you may want to invest in would be rechargeable batteries. I will post again when I think of something else.

since9

Campaign Veteran
When I record my self without a microphone I get a lot of "swishing" sounds from the built in microphone rubbing against my pocket. It will work and you can hear a conversation but in my experience a microphone will produce a much better quality recording.

How about carrying a sound crew, complete with a boom microphone? That way, there's not doubt in anyone's mind that the conversation is being recorded! Probably be a nice deterrent, too. :lol:

cbpeck

I use an app on my Android phone (Tmobile Cliq)

What app? How well does it work?

I've been planning on downloading one on my T-Mobile G2, but I'm not sure which to try first. I posted a thread on this once before and only got one response that wasn't very helpful (he was recommending a recorder that came preloaded on his Samsung phone).

daddy4count

What app? How well does it work?

I've been planning on downloading one on my T-Mobile G2, but I'm not sure which to try first. I posted a thread on this once before and only got one response that wasn't very helpful (he was recommending a recorder that came preloaded on his Samsung phone).
I've used two... Virtual Recorder and Voice Recorder, both free.

I tested both with the phone sitting right in front of me, 5 feet away, 10 feet away, as well as in my pocket while walking around... it does a phenomenal job of recording without a lot of interference or static.

The best part is you can set it to record (Ive let it run for hours...) with the screen turned off and you can't tell it's doing anything.