• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

With Regards to Rights

Rich B

I have decided to create a blog with my adventures in open carry on it. I have done this not because I plan to participate any less on this forum (hopefully quite the opposite!), but because I am trying to get organized. I have been getting more and more people who want to read more about my issues, including the New Haven Advocate writer (Betsy Yagla) who could have really benefited from having all the facts right in one easy to search place.

A lot of the material I will be posting will either be lifted from here (from my old posts) or will be cross posted (in the case of future informational posts).

If you have constructive criticism for me on this, please let me know. I would prefer through PM or via the site, only so we don't make a lot of unnecessary noise here.

As part of this effort, I am looking to try and find a way to finance litigation in the cases I currently have. I was recently contacted by an attorney and they expressed interest in working with me, and we seem to have a lot of the same ideas about getting some good base suits like these working and then going after bigger fish. I actually hope to be able to seed some cases and maybe get to the point where we can fund other people's cases as well, since I am certainly not the only one getting my rights violated in this state. It does seem that we need to win a case or two first. I say we don't wait around, I say we start now.

In that light, I have added a donation button to the site. Any donations I receive will be applied to getting this process started. I cannot guarantee anything about how far we can make this go yet, but I am certain we can at least make a dent.

http://withregardstorights.org

Last edited:

KIX

Is this just for your cases or will you allow others to use the site as a central repository of information?

Seems like it would be a good spot to post multiple "incident" reports as well as links to what our rights really are in this state.

Jonathan

Rich B

Is this just for your cases or will you allow others to use the site as a central repository of information?

Seems like it would be a good spot to post multiple "incident" reports as well as links to what our rights really are in this state.

Jonathan

This is exactly the idea behind the site. The long term goal of the site is to serve as a place for people with stories of rights violations to be able to tell their story. The other long term goal is to set up a fund that we can finance strategic lawsuits from that will start teaching these abusers a lesson. By no means is the site solely a repository for my stories.

It seems that for right now, the easiest way to get started is to get this together and go after some of my cases as 'seed cases' that may hopefully help finance other, bigger and more important cases.

larch

Is your site down? I viewed it once but now the link doesn't work.

Rich B

Is your site down? I viewed it once but now the link doesn't work.

Indeed it was. Sorry about that. Had some issues with it today, thought I left it in good shape before I went to the CCDL meeting, but I guess I was wrong.

Should work now.

Still has a few interesting issues, but nothing that should prevent your viewing.

KIX

Pay pal doesn't work. I click on the link and it does..... nada.

Gonna put my ten bucks in..... see how many others do!

Jonathan

Rich B

Pay pal doesn't work. I click on the link and it does..... nada.

Gonna put my ten bucks in..... see how many others do!

Jonathan

I am actually taking the donate button down for a bit. I appreciate your (and everyone's) enthusiasm, but I have a couple ideas rolling around my head from tonight.

Once I solidify a few things I will be in touch with where I am going. The last thing I want to do is take anyone's money before I have a clear plan.

Last edited:

cbnlnk121

I haven't had a chance to view the site as of yet. On that note:

With just what I have read I'm thinking you might want to get together with Ed and his site. He has collected a lot of information about cases. Could help it be a CT focal for legal information on rights without the legal charge of a lawyer.

Just a thought. I'll be viewing your site later tonight. So far I have to give you much respect for everything you are attempting as I don't know if I could be in your shoes.

So, THANK YOU!

Rich B

With just what I have read I'm thinking you might want to get together with Ed and his site. He has collected a lot of information about cases. Could help it be a CT focal for legal information on rights without the legal charge of a lawyer.

I cannot disagree with you, but Ed has a lot of information and he has different (broader) subjects he is addressing. I certainly link to his site from mine, and it may certainly be possible to link the sites together more going forward, but I think for now they serve separate purposes, so they are ok being separate sites.

I think both sites will end up having a lot of duplicate information, but I don't see this as a problem necessarily.

Certainly something to think about going forward...

inkedcook

I have decided to create a blog with my adventures in open carry on it. I have done this not because I plan to participate any less on this forum (hopefully quite the opposite!), but because I am trying to get organized. I have been getting more and more people who want to read more about my issues, including the New Haven Advocate writer (Betsy Yagla) who could have really benefited from having all the facts right in one easy to search place.

A lot of the material I will be posting will either be lifted from here (from my old posts) or will be cross posted (in the case of future informational posts).

If you have constructive criticism for me on this, please let me know. I would prefer through PM or via the site, only so we don't make a lot of unnecessary noise here.

As part of this effort, I am looking to try and find a way to finance litigation in the cases I currently have. I was recently contacted by an attorney and they expressed interest in working with me, and we seem to have a lot of the same ideas about getting some good base suits like these working and then going after bigger fish. I actually hope to be able to seed some cases and maybe get to the point where we can fund other people's cases as well, since I am certainly not the only one getting my rights violated in this state. It does seem that we need to win a case or two first. I say we don't wait around, I say we start now.

In that light, I have added a donation button to the site. Any donations I receive will be applied to getting this process started. I cannot guarantee anything about how far we can make this go yet, but I am certain we can at least make a dent.

http://withregardstorights.org

Rich B.
I am new to OC in CT. However, I was quite succesfull in advocating OC and 2nd ammendment rights in Maine. As co-founder and public speaker for the Maine Open Carry Association, I have extensive legal experience regarding the 2nd ammendment, as well as countless hours of small arms training. I would be very interested in continueing my work with OC and protecting the freedoms of Americans as a CT citizen as well. Please let me know what I can do to help with regards to OC here in CT. I am aware that CT is a legal OC state although our rights are frequently raped my the general public's twisted, fearful and ignorant response.

You can find out some of the work that I participated in up in Maine by visiting www.maineopencarry.org

emsjeep

Jonathan

I would caution against hosting anything purporting to interpret law or which could in any way be construed to provide legal advice and if it's questionable qualify it clearly and repeatedly as opinion. Hosting your own site has different responsibilities than posting relatively anonymously on the internet.

Good luck, keep up the good efforts.

KIX

I would caution against hosting anything purporting to interpret law or which could in any way be construed to provide legal advice and if it's questionable qualify it clearly and repeatedly as opinion. Hosting your own site has different responsibilities than posting relatively anonymously on the internet.

Good luck, keep up the good efforts.

I don't get what you are trying to point out here.

A central repository of accounts throughout the state is nowhere near legal advice.

Pointing people to information, or the state statues is not advice. You can easily put a disclaimer on the site that would shield you from any issues.

It is done all the time, everywhere on the web. The web is the best place for us to share such information as we clearly aren't going to get any major media or government support on the issues at hand.

Jonathan

Rich B

A central repository of accounts throughout the state is nowhere near legal advice.

Pointing people to information, or the state statues is not advice. You can easily put a disclaimer on the site that would shield you from any issues.

It is done all the time, everywhere on the web. The web is the best place for us to share such information as we clearly aren't going to get any major media or government support on the issues at hand.

Jonathan

Well said.

emsjeep

Jonathan

Why are you people so confrontational?

This is what you said:

Jonathan

Please tell me how one advises people of their rights? Posting links to the statutes in general? Citing and linking to statutes where you think appropriate to the incident? Posting accounts of interactions where you relay your interpretations of the law to interacting officers? Linking to someone else's questionable legal interpretation? You need to be careful, and not just for your own sake with a general disclaimer, but for the sake of otherwise poorly informed readers.

Last edited:

Rich B

I think everyone here has been pretty polite and professional to you so far especially considering you are stepping into a forum where people have been working very hard for years now and just spreading FUD.

So, what is your endgame?

Do you only plan to spend your time here making vague accusations against people here and trying to stir up doubt and fear? We already have personnel for that, that is who we are fighting against. Are you going to work towards a solution to any of the 'problems' you seem to be seeing here? Create a site, create a reference that shows people the way.

All I have seen so far from you is that you keep saying the same thing over and over:
"You guys are wrong because it may not go your way in court!"

If you want to promote yourself as the legal expert you are claiming to be, you are going to need to spend some time reading the forum and getting to know people here. You are also going to need to do something other than just trying to stir trouble. That will only get you on the ignore list.

KIX

Not confrontational at all. I think my answer was clear without being confrontational at all.

I just find it odd when people are on an open carry forum (not just on this thread) but often make comments about something that has the ability to really help our cause. Using your logic, this site shouldn't exist because thre is TONS of information on what is, isn't legal and the purveyors of this site could be at risk.

I don't think we should just sit around with our hands in our pockets, whistle a tune and think things will "automagically" change on their own.

If there is any way I can use the first amendment, to help me protect the rights of our second amendment, I sure as hell will take advantage of it.

Jonathan

emsjeep

I think everyone here has been pretty polite and professional to you so far especially considering you are stepping into a forum where people have been working very hard for years now and just spreading FUD.

So, what is your endgame?

Do you only plan to spend your time here making vague accusations against people here and trying to stir up doubt and fear? We already have personnel for that, that is who we are fighting against. Are you going to work towards a solution to any of the 'problems' you seem to be seeing here? Create a site, create a reference that shows people the way.

All I have seen so far from you is that you keep saying the same thing over and over:
"You guys are wrong because it may not go your way in court!"

If you want to promote yourself as the legal expert you are claiming to be, you are going to need to spend some time reading the forum and getting to know people here. You are also going to need to do something other than just trying to stir trouble. That will only get you on the ignore list.

And you are somehow right because you are wrong more often and over a longer period? I don't think you are wrong because it won't go your way in court, I think you push what should be as what is and fail to make the distinction clear. You are DANGEROUS because it may not go your way in court. Your perspective is dangerous to trusting practitioners, fails to acknowledge the negative possibilities, and puts people who want to advance the cause correctly and safely (which IS possible) in jeopardy of assuming risks that are beyond those with which they would be comfortable if they were properly advised of the risks.

I'm not attempting to make vague accusations; I'll be direct. I'm here policing up your vague and suspect legal opinions because they are in doubt, because they are vague and because they are dangerous. I admire your conviction, but you can't be wrong vehemently enough to make up for the fact that you are wrong. You paint a picture, deliberately, that OC is legal in this state, that detention for OC is unquestionably illegal because you think that if you say it enough times it will be true....the factual basis isn't there, or you haven't shown it to me yet. You lie, intentionally to an audience you believe to be sympathetic in an effort to advance your cause. I call BS, things are not as simple as you say they are and you shouldn't tell people that they are. My endgame is to promulgate the truth, the conservative truth, that keeps people who want to practice their rights safe and informed. You aren't going to win unquestionable OC rights on a foundation of lies.

I don't need to read the forum to look at the applicable law and to cast doubt on the absolutes you put out there. Also, just because I didn't post doesn't mean I wasn't here a year before you. I don't purport to be a legal expert, and I don't need to, all I need to do, and all I intend to do is to cast doubt on the validity of your inflexible assertions by proposing alternate and fact based interpretations.

Someone with a good, fact based understanding of their position should love a good, well-reasoned challenge, all you do it say, "No, your wrong, I'm right." Ok...that may make you feel better, but I don't even need to respond to point out the ridiculousness of your baseless arguments to the poor readers that come across them.

Do whatever you want, I'll make fact based arguments, you do what you want, but you don't get to do it without question. Is there enough room for me and your superiority complex on the internet? Its quite clear that you both don't give two shits about anyone else's opinion and that you are beyond question, so, whatever....nothing left for me to argue.

Last edited:

emsjeep

Not confrontational at all. I think my answer was clear without being confrontational at all.

I just find it odd when people are on an open carry forum (not just on this thread) but often make comments about something that has the ability to really help our cause. Using your logic, this site shouldn't exist because thre is TONS of information on what is, isn't legal and the purveyors of this site could be at risk.

I don't think we should just sit around with our hands in our pockets, whistle a tune and think things will "automagically" change on their own.

If there is any way I can use the first amendment, to help me protect the rights of our second amendment, I sure as hell will take advantage of it.

Jonathan

I have no problem with the cause, I have no problem with the forum, but when you cease to be anonymous you risk people holding you accountable for the advice that you give if it can be construed to be more than just your opinion. I like what Rich does, I want him to continue to do what he does, but 1) I don't want people to act on interpretations of law on which serious doubt can be cast and 2) I don't want those people to hold Rich responsible for the trouble they get into.