• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hawaii needs people to apply!

Funtimes

This is where the rubber meets the road for our state! After much deliberation and consultation with outside sources, Hawaii Concealed Carry requires your assistance. We need all qualified persons to apply for a handgun carry permit with the State of Hawaii, in whatever county you reside. We encourage Big Island, Kauai, and Maui to also apply within their respective county. You may apply for an open carry or concealed carry permit.

Don’t know if you are qualified? Please follow this checklist:

(1) I’m at least 21 years or older.

(2) I’m qualified to use the firearm in a safe manner
(this means you have taken a LIFE course, NRA course, Handgun Permit Class, are military, prior law enforcement, or have in some other way met the requirements to purchase a handgun previously in this state);

(3) Not be prohibited under section 134-7 from the ownership or possession of a firearm; (Are you under TRO? Domestic Violence etc.)

(4) Not have been adjudged insane or not appear to be mentally deranged. (Has a court told you that you are unfit mentally)

You will be asked to provide a narrative of why you want to carry weapons. This is not in the statute, but is recommended. These reasons can be things like ” I wish to protect my family “, “I had someone threaten me”, “Self-Defense”, “I have been assaulted”, “Domestic Violence victim” etc.
Please, if you require assistance with the writing of a narrative contact me: Chris@Hawaiiccw.com .

If you are military, and have previously been fingerprinted by the state for your transfer weapons they will ask you to pay another 19.25 cents, in exact change. We are currently investigating the legalities of this charge, at this time — pay it. Document that you paid it and forward that information to myself.

Thing we want you to do! THIS IS IMPORTANT

– Document everything:

What officers did you speak with? What did the officers say to you? What did they tell you? Did the officers discourage you from applying? Did they say you wouldn’t get it? Did they say only xxxx people get these? We encourage you to be as descriptive as possible!
– We need this information, and the follow on information that they send you. We request any and all correspondence from the state regarding these permits. Redact information you don't want us to have. All data will be kept private.

– Please inform us of your history. We don’t require everything.. but we need to know anything big that may come out in the future.

Get this information out! We need this to build our plaintiff pool!!

Last edited:

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
I think it's going to take bringing suit against the State of Hawaii, since for 51 years HI has been, IMO, UNCONSITUTIONAL in that it effectively ignores the 2nd Amdnement/RKBA and denies residents of HI to exercise their right of self-defense.

I plan on moving to HI but it won't be until the Summer of 2012, so I can't be of any boots-on-the-ground help now to you, but when I get there, I had planned on applying for a CC permit, would be denied (as expected) and then sue the state for denying me my rights to SOME form of carry. IMO, a state -- since it's SUPPOSED to be part of the Union and thus the U.S. Constitution is SUPPOSED to apply -- can not ignore ANY of the Bill of Rights. But HI does ignore the 2nd Amendment, for whatever reason. So if a state does not allow SOME form of carrying --- either OC or CC -- then it essentially denies the RKBA, and THAT is unconstitutional. On top of that you must REGISTER your guns!

Consequently, Hawaii has got to be the WORST violator since it "allegedly" allows CC but at the same time never issues permits, so in reality, CC is denied. And by not allowing OC, THAT form of carry is also denied. So HI does not allow one to exercise the RKBA...EXCEPT the right to own a gun if it is kept inside your home. But you can't BEAR any arms...except inside your home.

Even if SOME people are given a CC permit in HI, MOST everyone else is not...that is, again IMO, failure to provide "equal protection under the law."

As for states, either ALL Americans have the same basic rights or they do not, regardless of what state they live in. HI should not be exempt, it's not a foreign country even if it does act like it in some ways.

The kind of data you are asking for here would be quite useful is such a suit as it seems you are going that route. Or, do you have other plans less "escalated" than that?

I don't think anything LESS than a full-blown lawsuit will work since (as I said) HI has chosen to deny RKBA rights since 1959, so it would be reasonable to assume HI will NOT voluntarily change, it will have to be FORCED to change.

You mention your organization "Hawaii CCW." Is yours the only one fighting for the right to carry? If so, have you thought about starting something in HI like some other states have, like the "Hawaii Citizens Defense League" (which does not specify either CC or OC in its name, but it covers both)?

Whatever, good luck to you...wish I could help but I wouldn't be aplying until 2012...and who knows what will be HI's CC or OC situation then.

Last edited:
M

McX

i've never been to hawaii, probably will never get to go. do you get a free pineapple with a permit?

M

McX

i wish you guys success, and all the best in your endeavors! you know how isolated you are from the continent, and if the poop hits the fan your guns will be the only thing that keep you free. i envy you greatly though, for your isolation in a tropical paradise no less.

MarlboroLts5150

Hey FunTimes.....

Didn't know if you had these (probably do). These are the reports to the State Attorney General's Office for 2002-2008.

They go into monsterous detail about permits to aquire firearms and registration. But very, very vague about carry permits.

They approve the majority of carry permits for work-related reasons, and all but one for private citizens.

25 applied for, 24 denied. From what I've heard, the one approved was for a judge, and only for 6 months. Can't find the info on that again, I could be wrong.

Hawaii citizens don't apply for carry permits, because they know the Chief will deny them.

I hope you can get that changed.

Attachments

• gunreg02.pdf
    40.6 KB · Views: 249
  • gunreg03.pdf
    64.3 KB · Views: 197
  • gunreg04.pdf
    73.9 KB · Views: 236
  • firearms-report-2005.pdf
    56.7 KB · Views: 214
  • gunreg06.pdf
    55.8 KB · Views: 200
  • firearms2007.pdf
    60 KB · Views: 200
  • firearms2008.pdf
    60.4 KB · Views: 214

Funtimes

We are working very diligently on this. You know I will complain and raise a stink :p you worked with me in the office long enough! We have a few people going down already. Another gentleman just printed out like 100 flyer packages to hand out. Thanks for the links man. I am wonder what happened to the 2009 / 2010 data, sounds like I need a freedom of information act request!

Last edited:

MarlboroLts5150

We are working very diligently on this. You know I will complain and raise a stink :p you worked with me in the office long enough! We have a few people going down already. Another gentleman just printed out like 100 flyer packages to hand out. Thanks for the links man. I am wonder what happened to the 2009 / 2010 data, sounds like I need a freedom of information act request!

2009 should be out now, I'll do a search for it. 2010 won't be out for a few months at least.

MarlboroLts5150

Is that at least partly why you're presently "in Ewa Beach but soon heading to Georgia?"

Partly. I took orders back to Mainland USA to make it easier to see family, haven't seen my son in 5 years come January.

As far as Hawaii, I'm just not an islander. Lot of great people here, lots to do. But, I also had my fill of the 'bad side of Hawaii'.

Just not for me. Been here since 2003.

sudden valley gunner

Yeah I have someone who is donating a laser printer to me =o. So I am waiting to pick that up so I can print for just over .016 cents a page.

We are no longer "state" residents but I will be back soon again, should we apply to? Maybe I can get my brother-in-law to apply. He always goes to KokoHead gun range.