Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: History of gun control

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Somewhere, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    1,029

    History of gun control

    Some of you may be interested in the following historical information.

    http://www.guncite.com/journals/hardfopa.html

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    9,193

    "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

    Thanks Captain, and from Prince Dakkar.

  3. #3
    Founder's Club Member Brass Magnet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Right Behind You!, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,818
    Thanks Captain,

    I was unaware of the "fee shifting" provisions of the FOPA. It's interesting that it also applies a time limit to hold siezed wepons without a hearing. It seems like that would be useful for those that have not had their firearms returned to them.

    Conversely, FOPA confers both substantive and procedural rights upon citizens accused of Gun Control Act violations. Scienter requirements limit application of most of the Act's sanctions to willful violators; a citizen who wins a criminal acquittal need not face civil sanctions based on the same allegation; the length of time seized property may be held without hearing is strictly limited; and the unprecedented availability of attorneys' fees awards ensures that the financial risks of a meritorious defense may well be shifted to the prosecuting agency.
    R[ƎVO˩]UTION

    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

    Lex malla, lex nulla

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    La Crosse, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    1,185
    I could also mention that the first several chapters of the book by John Ross named "Unintended Consequences" has an well written take on the history of gun control and would also be very interesting for you gubmint conspiracy folks out there.

    Excellent book... highly recommended.

  5. #5
    Founder's Club Member Brass Magnet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Right Behind You!, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,818
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
    [snip]for you gubmint conspiracy folks out there.
    Who is your target for that remark, pray tell?
    R[ƎVO˩]UTION

    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

    Lex malla, lex nulla

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    La Crosse, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    1,185
    Quote Originally Posted by Brass Magnet View Post
    Who is your target for that remark, pray tell?
    The ones that think Hillary and the UN are coming for their guns. lol

    Listen. OCDO is not the place for gubmint conspiracy talk but the recommended reading covers the gun-grabbers actions since the 1934 Gun Control Act to the present.

  7. #7
    Founder's Club Member Brass Magnet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Right Behind You!, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,818
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
    The ones that think Hillary and the UN are coming for their guns. lol

    Listen. OCDO is not the place for gubmint conspiracy talk but the recommended reading covers the gun-grabbers actions since the 1934 Gun Control Act to the present.
    If you feel that way, why bring it up then? You know, since this thread had nothing to do with it.

    Look, I've got a lot more tolerance for people around here than most but that sir; is Trolling. That's like HankT stuff right there. No offense Hank......

    Zai Jian
    Last edited by Brass Magnet; 11-09-2010 at 03:01 PM.
    R[ƎVO˩]UTION

    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

    Lex malla, lex nulla

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    La Crosse, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    1,185
    Quote Originally Posted by Brass Magnet View Post
    If you feel that way, why bring it up then? You know, since this thread had nothing to do with it.

    Look, I've got a lot more tolerance for people around here than most but that sir; is Trolling. .
    Did you look at the title of the thread? It concerns gun control. The book I recommended gives an excellent overview from first-person perspectives on gun control and government intrusions on our rights. In what way is that trolling?

  9. #9
    Founder's Club Member Brass Magnet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Right Behind You!, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,818
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
    Did you look at the title of the thread? It concerns gun control. The book I recommended gives an excellent overview from first-person perspectives on gun control and government intrusions on our rights. In what way is that trolling?
    Don't be disingenuous, you know I meant the "Gubmint" comment.
    R[ƎVO˩]UTION

    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

    Lex malla, lex nulla

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Anywhere but here.
    Posts
    523
    I can't remember where, but I read somewhere that the first ever American gun law was passed in the Roanoke colony. It actually required all men of " The age of manhood" to keep, rifle, ball, and powder at hand in the home and in working order for the good of the colony. How the hell did we get from there to here? Simple, by letting ourselves be convinced that we must apologize for being ourselves.
    This site has been hijacked by leftists who attack opposition to further their own ends. Those who have never served this country and attack those who do are no longer worthy of my time or attention.

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    La Crosse, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    1,185
    Quote Originally Posted by NRAMARINE View Post
    I can't remember where, but I read somewhere that the first ever American gun law was passed in the Roanoke colony. It actually required all men of " The age of manhood" to keep, rifle, ball, and powder at hand in the home and in working order for the good of the colony. How the hell did we get from there to here? Simple, by letting ourselves be convinced that we must apologize for being ourselves.
    See, this is the kind of thinking that I just don't get. I mean please correct me if I'm wrong.

    Any man can pretty much keep whatever the hell armaments he wants in his house even and up to fully automatic cannons after paying the appropriate taxes. I personally have a gun safe chock full of guns, ammo, reloading supplies, etc. and am thankful for all of it.

    Some of you guys need to get out in the world a bit and see the way it is out there. We have it pretty damned good here and its about to get even better despite the naysayers.

    In what way is that a step backwards from the colonial days? I don't get it.
    Last edited by Spartacus; 11-09-2010 at 04:58 PM.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Anywhere but here.
    Posts
    523
    It's a step back in the sense that we who choose to exercise our rights are marginalized and branded extremists by the majority of the populace. In those days, men being armed was simply an everyday fact of life that was viewed by the community as responsible and in the interests of peace. IT WAS COMMONPLACE. To them these arguments about oc vs. cc and restrictions on firearms would seem as ridiculous as someone in the future having to constantly fight the same fight we are in to wear green shoes and a crucifix would be to us. To them it wasn't an issue at all. We have to constantly fight the attitude of not only the populace, but often law enforcement who believe the constitution simply doesn't apply to you and me. It's the Second Ammendment. It must be pretty damn important if it comes Second only to freedom of speech. ( Which we are all exercising by the way) It would be like needing a forum and site to educate people about their right to post on a forum and openly discuss issues. That's where we are. Besides, you shouldn't have to get permission or pay a tax to exercise your rights.

    Ps I also enjoy my collection, and many things are better. However the wolves are constantly on us and we must be ever vigilant to prevent any eroding of our rights.
    Last edited by NRAMARINE; 11-10-2010 at 03:06 PM.
    This site has been hijacked by leftists who attack opposition to further their own ends. Those who have never served this country and attack those who do are no longer worthy of my time or attention.

  13. #13
    Guest
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Green Bay
    Posts
    232
    Now Spartacus has seen the entire world. You are so much better than me, I've only been to Kuwait, Iraq, Germany, South Korea and Japan, and roughly half of the states. I guess I need to get out more.

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Chilton, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    3,481
    There are some awesome videos on www.jpfo.org.
    No Guns for African Americanes and No Guns for Jews. Both tell a hell of a story on Gun Control and what it is all about and what the purpose originally was.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Anywhere but here.
    Posts
    523
    Quote Originally Posted by Springfielddx40 View Post
    Now Spartacus has seen the entire world. You are so much better than me, I've only been to Kuwait, Iraq, Germany, South Korea and Japan, and roughly half of the states. I guess I need to get out more.
    Okinawa, Liberia, Ivory Coast, Sierra Leone, Iraq, Kuwait, Germany, Romania, Ireland, China ( Does Hong Kong count?) Egypt, Israel, Cuba (GITMO) and most of the southeast and western states.
    Last edited by NRAMARINE; 11-10-2010 at 03:11 PM.
    This site has been hijacked by leftists who attack opposition to further their own ends. Those who have never served this country and attack those who do are no longer worthy of my time or attention.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Fallon, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    5,580
    His comment was very clear. You are wrong.

    He referenced that "gun control" of "keep this stuff available" to current gun control. Your response is way "off point" to his.

    Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
    See, this is the kind of thinking that I just don't get. I mean please correct me if I'm wrong.

    Any man can pretty much keep whatever the hell armaments he wants in his house even and up to fully automatic cannons after paying the appropriate taxes. I personally have a gun safe chock full of guns, ammo, reloading supplies, etc. and am thankful for all of it.

    Some of you guys need to get out in the world a bit and see the way it is out there. We have it pretty damned good here and its about to get even better despite the naysayers.

    In what way is that a step backwards from the colonial days? I don't get it.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •