• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

History of gun control

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
Thanks Captain,

I was unaware of the "fee shifting" provisions of the FOPA. It's interesting that it also applies a time limit to hold siezed wepons without a hearing. It seems like that would be useful for those that have not had their firearms returned to them.

Conversely, FOPA confers both substantive and procedural rights upon citizens accused of Gun Control Act violations. Scienter requirements limit application of most of the Act's sanctions to willful violators; a citizen who wins a criminal acquittal need not face civil sanctions based on the same allegation; the length of time seized property may be held without hearing is strictly limited; and the unprecedented availability of attorneys' fees awards ensures that the financial risks of a meritorious defense may well be shifted to the prosecuting agency.

Spartacus

Banned
I could also mention that the first several chapters of the book by John Ross named "Unintended Consequences" has an well written take on the history of gun control and would also be very interesting for you gubmint conspiracy folks out there.

Excellent book... highly recommended.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
The ones that think Hillary and the UN are coming for their guns. lol

Listen. OCDO is not the place for gubmint conspiracy talk but the recommended reading covers the gun-grabbers actions since the 1934 Gun Control Act to the present.

If you feel that way, why bring it up then? You know, since this thread had nothing to do with it.

Look, I've got a lot more tolerance for people around here than most but that sir; is Trolling. That's like HankT stuff right there. No offense Hank......:D

Zai Jian

Last edited:

Spartacus

Banned
If you feel that way, why bring it up then? You know, since this thread had nothing to do with it.

Look, I've got a lot more tolerance for people around here than most but that sir; is Trolling. .

Did you look at the title of the thread? It concerns gun control. The book I recommended gives an excellent overview from first-person perspectives on gun control and government intrusions on our rights. In what way is that trolling?

NRAMARINE

I can't remember where, but I read somewhere that the first ever American gun law was passed in the Roanoke colony. It actually required all men of " The age of manhood" to keep, rifle, ball, and powder at hand in the home and in working order for the good of the colony. How the hell did we get from there to here? Simple, by letting ourselves be convinced that we must apologize for being ourselves.

Spartacus

Banned
I can't remember where, but I read somewhere that the first ever American gun law was passed in the Roanoke colony. It actually required all men of " The age of manhood" to keep, rifle, ball, and powder at hand in the home and in working order for the good of the colony. How the hell did we get from there to here? Simple, by letting ourselves be convinced that we must apologize for being ourselves.

See, this is the kind of thinking that I just don't get. I mean please correct me if I'm wrong.

Any man can pretty much keep whatever the hell armaments he wants in his house even and up to fully automatic cannons after paying the appropriate taxes. I personally have a gun safe chock full of guns, ammo, reloading supplies, etc. and am thankful for all of it.

Some of you guys need to get out in the world a bit and see the way it is out there. We have it pretty damned good here and its about to get even better despite the naysayers.

In what way is that a step backwards from the colonial days? I don't get it.

Last edited:

NRAMARINE

It's a step back in the sense that we who choose to exercise our rights are marginalized and branded extremists by the majority of the populace. In those days, men being armed was simply an everyday fact of life that was viewed by the community as responsible and in the interests of peace. IT WAS COMMONPLACE. To them these arguments about oc vs. cc and restrictions on firearms would seem as ridiculous as someone in the future having to constantly fight the same fight we are in to wear green shoes and a crucifix would be to us. To them it wasn't an issue at all. We have to constantly fight the attitude of not only the populace, but often law enforcement who believe the constitution simply doesn't apply to you and me. It's the Second Ammendment. It must be pretty damn important if it comes Second only to freedom of speech. ( Which we are all exercising by the way) It would be like needing a forum and site to educate people about their right to post on a forum and openly discuss issues. That's where we are. Besides, you shouldn't have to get permission or pay a tax to exercise your rights.

Ps I also enjoy my collection, and many things are better. However the wolves are constantly on us and we must be ever vigilant to prevent any eroding of our rights.

Last edited:
Now Spartacus has seen the entire world. You are so much better than me, I've only been to Kuwait, Iraq, Germany, South Korea and Japan, and roughly half of the states. I guess I need to get out more.

NRAMARINE

Now Spartacus has seen the entire world. You are so much better than me, I've only been to Kuwait, Iraq, Germany, South Korea and Japan, and roughly half of the states. I guess I need to get out more.

Okinawa, Liberia, Ivory Coast, Sierra Leone, Iraq, Kuwait, Germany, Romania, Ireland, China ( Does Hong Kong count?) Egypt, Israel, Cuba (GITMO) and most of the southeast and western states.

Last edited:

wrightme

His comment was very clear. You are wrong.

He referenced that "gun control" of "keep this stuff available" to current gun control. Your response is way "off point" to his.

See, this is the kind of thinking that I just don't get. I mean please correct me if I'm wrong.

Any man can pretty much keep whatever the hell armaments he wants in his house even and up to fully automatic cannons after paying the appropriate taxes. I personally have a gun safe chock full of guns, ammo, reloading supplies, etc. and am thankful for all of it.

Some of you guys need to get out in the world a bit and see the way it is out there. We have it pretty damned good here and its about to get even better despite the naysayers.

In what way is that a step backwards from the colonial days? I don't get it.