• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The wrong kind of open carry

Dieselcrawler

Love my small town home, nothing ever happens. Untill now. Some goof ball walks into the local BurgerKing, with a ski mask on, holding a gun... holds up/robs the place...

Makes me miss the days when shop owners had a shotgun under the counter... :mad:

Not sure if they got the guy or what... not clear on the details or follow up, just wanted to share...

Dreamer

I grew up in Paden City (PCHS--class of 1983), and my father lives in Sistersville now. I've got family and friends ALL over that area (Sister, aunts, grandmother in Wheeling, friends in New Martinsville, Parkersburg, Huntington, Moundsville, and Morgantown, and family in SW PA)...

Armed robbery of a BurgerKing--dude, thats DESPERATE...

Times are getting tough all over, and the Mountain State is especially hard-hit in this economy. Desperate people will do desperate things.

I carry ALL THE TIME when I'm traveling back home in the Ohio Valley. Generally I do it because I enjoy exercising my rights and educating people. I can honestly say that hearing this story DOES NOT make me happy. Knowing that I might need to defend myself while grabbing a quick burger is NOT something I want to worry about when visiting my family back home in "Wild Wonderful"...

Stay safe, and CARRY ON.

Last edited:

MKEgal

Greg, welcome aboard. Are you a Coastie / Coast Guardian?

As for the crook who believes in stereotypes (a ski mask? really??) he was awfully lucky, or maybe there weren't many people in the store when he arrived.

Dieselcrawler

From what a friend of mine told me (my way of posting a disclaimer, as in, this is 2nd or 3rd hand info, and may not be correct) they have not cought the idiot, there is speculation that they may be female (the person is small built, wearing 'girl-ish' style jeans).

The local paper had a photo from video surv. tape, and short write up. If I was more computer litirate, I would post a link.

MKE, I'm just a country boy, make my livin' as a self-employeed electrician. Not enough water around for me to be involved in the coast guard, why do you ask?

k31

im from braxton county
lots of love kind folks and drugs there are worse places but pot is pot and meth is meth
while it may anger us to know there are idiots with gun we must all remember that that is just why we carry o/c is a visible reminder that there are some of us that dont tolerate stupidity around us and we will quickly bring any one to the reality of consequences i dont want to have to use my side arm but it is there to be used
it doesnt just slap a man on the wrist and tell him to either be more careful or not get caught
there is no if in this world you either did or you didnt
did get the point across or
did not exercise your rights and put others in harms way with your neglect to the constitution
not a vigilante but an American

Dreamer

Dieselcrawler

Because that's the CG motto: Semper Paratus.

Didn't know that... I adopted it a few years back, my father who has a backround in latin (grew up in a catholic school, mass every morning in LATIN!!!) and I were talking about things one day, and as i am as best prepaired for the unexpected as I can be, we found the term Semper Paratus to be appropreate for me. It was my first tatoo as well, proudly displayed on my left upper arm/sholder, were I can hide it when I need to for a professional apperance, but I wear cut off tee shirts as often as possible.

Dreamer, thanks for posting the link to the local paper!!

DJ_Amish

I grew up right across the river in Monroe county. Used to work for the sheriffs office. Just moved from there again a couple months ago. I was dating a girl from Sardis. My ex and daughter live in wheeling. Sorry to say but with the economy way it is, I can see the crime rise. Esp the drug trade which is very bad there.

Dreamer

My ex and daughter live in wheeling. Sorry to say but with the economy way it is, I can see the crime rise. Esp the drug trade which is very bad there.

My sister and her family live in Wheeling too, and hopefully I'll be visiting them for Christmas weekend.

I plan to OC most of the time I'm in WV.