• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Parks?

teemgreen99

Ok can someone school me on the various parks? National, regional, city, etc. What the laws are for each individual type. I know national and I always check for posted signs but not exactly sure.

wewd

National Parks follow state law. That means UOC* unless you have a CCW. California state parks and beaches are no-carry without a CCW. Municipal parks are preempted from enacting carry bans but many of them do anyway.

*NPS rangers are currently interpreting California law to mean that loaded carry is prohibited anywhere a shooting ban is in effect. Since every National Park in California has a federally-issued shooting ban, they are enforcing UOC. However California case law suggests that only county-issued bans may trigger PC 12031, and absent the county prohibiting shooting there, it should be legal to LOC in most National Parks. However this is not recommended unless one wishes to possibly become a defendant in a criminal case at their own expense. Don't carry loaded in a National Park without a CCW until a more clear ruling on the law becomes available.

Gundude

Cities are pre-empted by state law on banning guns. They can ban shooting in their parks.

Last edited:

Coded-Dude

B. No person shall, within any city park:

3. Possess, discharge or shoot any firearm, bow and arrow, lawn darts, slingshot, wrist-rocket, air gun, spring gun, paintball gun or any device that shoots or propels a projectile, fireworks, combustible-powered projectile (i.e., rocket), or any other such devices potentially harmful to park visitors and park property.

I know its preempted......