• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gonna pick up a new XDm .40 cal 3.8... Reviews anyone?

oliverclotheshoff

i have not shot many hand guns (4 or 5 or so) XDm not one of them but i am pretty partial my glock 22 .40

Last edited:

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
I used to own a standard XD in 45ACP when it first came out. I sold it two weeks after buying it. Even after doing a lot of work on it, the trigger was just horrible, much worse than my brothers Glock. HOWEVER I recently got my hands on an XDm for a while and they have GREATLY improved the trigger. It's about the same as a Glock now, IMHO. Between the two I'd have to say, whatever trips your trigger ( pun intented :lol: ).

Were there any other firearms that you would like this compared to or are you already settled on the XD and just looking for a pat on the back from fellow XD owners?

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
I have the 3 inch barrel model in 9mm and the original XD in .45 ACP. Both shoot well and feel right in my hand. I recently took the .45 to the range and ran a box of ammo through it. The experience was worth the cost of the ammo. The trigger on both are nice and actually smoother than my Glock 36. I have had no problems at all with either of my XD's. I don't know much about the XD M except that they cost a bit more.

I don't think you can go wrong with a XD.

johnny amish

Great shooting gun. Glocks are good guns but the XDm should not be underestemated. Smooth, acurate and reliable. I carry one daily and have shot countless boxes of ammo through it without a problem.

Last edited:

paknon2wheels

I own an XDM .40 3.8 Black for everyday carry and love it. Previous to the XDM, I was a hardcore Glock owner for many years. I have sold my Glock 22, and currently have my 21C for sale and have no intention of going back.

I have owned Gen 1, 2, and 3 of the Glock family in 9mm .40 and .45. Models 17, 19, 21C, 22C, 23. Once the 21C sells I plan to replace it with XDM45 4.5 or 3.8 (if they come out with it by then).

The XDM is very accurate right out of the box. So far I have only put around 400 rounds through it, but I have had no malfunction of any kind.

My wife lost here job recently, so I have not been able to do any modifications to the XDM, but one of the first things I will be doing when finances are back in order is installing a Powder River Precision Match Trigger Kit.

Some people think the stock XDM trigger is great, so I guess it all depends on what you expect out of a trigger. IMO most production guns, don’t have great triggers, so you will have to make up your own mind on that one. Also some aftermarket sights would be in order if you enjoy that type of thing.

One thing to keep in mind is that the XDM is a little heavier than the Glock, but the XDM does seem to have less recoil because of it. Just personal preference, and something to consider if you plan the XDM to be your full time carry gun.

Jason in WI

Just curious, why the 3.8?

Overall I'm really happy with my XDm in 40. If you never had one, the mags will be hell to load until they sit full for a bit, but they do get a lot better. The mag release sucks, you might need to push up on a 3/4 to full mag to drop it. After a bunch of use it will get better, but not by much. Don't dry fire too much without snap caps, the roll pin for the striker sucks. I really love the feel, it fits me well and feels like an extension to my arm. Not sure about the shorter barrel, but on my 4.5 the recoil is very manageable.

Krusty

I have never been much for autos but this year I bought an XDm 45 in 4.5 barrel and I love it. I have parked my .357 snub and have carried the XDm exclusively. My 2nd choice of auto was XDm 40.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
I have the Xdm in .40, but it is the 4.5" model, As flippy as the muzzle is on the 4.5" model, I would expect the 3.8 to be even tougher to keep pointed in the correct direction. I can understand wanting the shorter barrel for better concealability, but I personally would not sacrifice that for shootability

Anyplace near you that rents guns to try one out first? I love my XDm, and I plan to add a few more to the corral.

anmut

My .02 again. The Glock VS XDM is really akin to Chevy VS Ford, all depends on what YOU like.

That said, some have mentioned getting trigger work done. This leads me to ask, "What are you planning on using this gun for?"

Personally I prefer the Glock (XDM has the same sort of trigger) safety built in and the longer pull to the trigger for carrying. I plink with it to stay on my game with the weapon but if I was into strictly range use I would consider an upgraded trigger.

So consider your use before purchasing, be safe and carry on!

littlewolf

I have fired the XDM 9 3.8 and it's awsome. I expect a little more muzzle jump from the .40S&W as I shoot and carry a XD40 5in Tactical but range shoot with a 5.7in ported Storm Lake barrel.I also carry with the Storm Lake barrel while deer hunting,used it on a doe last year,she went abou 40" strait down w/ a head shot at 20yds.
You can overcome the muzzle jump with hand position ,proper ammo and practice,practice and more practice! Thats the fun part.Have fun with it and don't give up.

Mugenlude

Campaign Veteran
I haven't shot a XD in awhile, probably a year, at that point I liked the feel of my Glock instead. Nothing to really complain about with the XD, I just liked the feel of my Glock(s) better. It all about which gun you can shoot better, I would see if you can find a local range that has rental guns, or get together with some friends and try them out.

Over the last 10+ years I have lot of handguns, over time I have sold off the guns that just didn't work for me... at this point I only have Glocks. That is my experience.

Also, for home protection, I don't think you can go wrong with a shotgun. AR's are nice (I have several), they are a great dual purpose rifle, but if you are talking just home protection you can get yourself a good shotgun for a couple hundred bucks...