Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home Invasion

Home Invasion

Some good info on home invasion, but they left out the 9mm option.
    http://www.q13fox.com/news/kcpq-what...,1538522.story
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

I saw the story that they showed on fox and they had people saying what they'd do. A lot of them said they'd run and hide. One guy said he's drop to the floor and tell the BG to take what they want and leave. No one ever mentioned keeping a gun in your home or on your person. It was pretty sad. =\
    "though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Psalms 23:4

"Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power." Benjamin Franklin

“It’s always open season on criminals in Mason County, and there’s no bag limit.” Sen. Tim Sheldon (D)

Molōn labe!

It's likely that the ones interviewed who said that they would fill the intruder full of lead were cut from the interview.

Sheeple...that's what the vast majority of people are, and that's what they expect everyone else around them to be. I was cleaning my sidearm after going to the range, this was just a few days ago, and a friend of mine was asking me what I would do in a home invasion situation, and I told him that I would fight. He looked at me and said nervously, "you are a violent person." That sheeple mentality compromises personal safety and the safety of loved ones around you. I just laughed...some people will never get it.

The unfortunate reality is you have to be more violent than the person attempting to victimize you or you will be in a sh*tload of trouble. I don't know about anyone else on here, but I hate reacting in a violent manner, but when it's time for me to act, I act, and let the cards fall where they may. At least I did everything I could. I would rather have a bullet in the chest than the back of my head.

When a wolf is kicking in your front door you have two options, lay on the floor like one of the cowards in the interview or stand your ground and defend yourself and your loved ones that are in the home with you.

I will give an example:

My mother-in-law has water storage drums, you know, the big blue ones. She has them sitting outside her house in plain sight. I told her that she should probably store them in the shed or the basement of the house, because if SHTF and there was no water, people would come and take it from her. She looked at me and snobbishly stated, "I'm going to share it, if someone wants some, they can have it." I couldn't help but think how out of touch she is, especially with what happens to people when SHTF and they have no water or food sources, people get crazy, and opportunistic criminals have a hay-day when disaster strikes. They wouldn't want a drink of the water, they will demand the whole thing, and she will be left with nothing.
    Last edited by Beretta92FSLady; 11-09-2010 at 02:11 PM.
    I don't mind watching the OC-Community (tea party 2.0's, who have hijacked the OC-Community) cannibalize itself. I do mind watching OC dragged through the gutter. OC is an exercise of A Right. I choose to not OC; I choose to not own firearms. I choose to leave the OC-Community to it's own self-inflicted injuries, and eventual implosion. Carry on...

In home defense, the 9mm option is a poor substitute to the .45 calibre option.. Or better yet, the 7.62 option... best of all the 12 gauge option.
    It is very wise to not take a watermelon lightly.

Quote Originally Posted by Metalhead47 View Post
    In home defense, the 9mm option is a poor substitute to the .45 calibre option.
    Trolling lately? Two words "shot placement." The end
    I don't mind watching the OC-Community (tea party 2.0's, who have hijacked the OC-Community) cannibalize itself. I do mind watching OC dragged through the gutter. OC is an exercise of A Right. I choose to not OC; I choose to not own firearms. I choose to leave the OC-Community to it's own self-inflicted injuries, and eventual implosion. Carry on...

In Home Defense, (5 Rnds) 00 Buck is my choice. That and (8 Rnds) .45 ! That is before reloading.

I take personnel responsibility for the safety and security of myself, my loved ones and my property !

I will fight back !

Semper Fi
    I am a Sheep Dog, ... Wolves Beware !

Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    Trolling lately? Two words "shot placement." The end
    It's a reasonable statement. If you don't have to schlep the gun around (being that it's on your nightstand, etc), why "settle" for a 9mm when you can have a .45? And why settle for a .45 when (again, since you're not shlepping) you could have a long arm? Sure, shot placement is key, but the accuracy of a rifle or the spread of a shotgun can put some more stuff in your favor if the shot placement zen just isn't with you that night.

It's a reasonable statement. If you don't have to schlep the gun around (being that it's on your nightstand, etc), why "settle" for a 9mm when you can have a .45? And why settle for a .45 when (again, since you're not shlepping) you could have a long arm? Sure, shot placement is key, but the accuracy of a rifle or the spread of a shotgun can put some more stuff in your favor if the shot placement zen just isn't with you that night.
    I am always Zen, especially when having exchanges with you LOL (legs crossed, back straight, burning incense)
    Last edited by Beretta92FSLady; 11-09-2010 at 03:45 PM.

I am always Zen, especially when having exchanges with you LOL (legs crossed, back straight, burning incense)
    Being woken out of a sound sleep at 0-Dark-30 by my door being kicked open & alarms going off, I will most certainly NOT be Zen, and will take every unfair advantage and dirty trick available to me to preserve my life. Name:  icon_mrgreen.gif
Views: 365
Size:  349 Bytes

And even the Zen masters say the best use of a 9mm is to get to a longarm.

I would rather have a bullet in the chest than the back of my head.
    ...the best use of a 9mm is to get to a longarm.
    I'm stealing both of these...

I like the "Amateurs discuss calibers, professionals discuss tactics" quote. Along with the "a sidearm is what you use to fight your way to your rifle".

A shotgun pattern does not spread much across the width or length of a typical residential room.
    Last edited by Jeff Hayes; 11-09-2010 at 07:55 PM.

I'm definitely loving the 7.62mm option, but it may over penetrate walls in the case of a miss. If I lived out in the sticks I'd stick with it, but being in a neighborhood, I'd rather not have something that can penetrate enough to leave my house. That's why I'd go with the .45 option.

Quote Originally Posted by Orphan View Post
    A shotgun pattern does not spread much across the width or length of a typical residential room.
    Centrifugal force imparted by a rifled barrel of the minimum legal length would solve this issue.

Yet there's a reason SWAT favors them for clearing buildings Personally, I'm toying with the idea of cutting down a rifled barrel. Just cuz I like cutting metal things in half

Quote Originally Posted by .45ACPaddy View Post
    I'm definitely loving the 7.62mm option, but it may over penetrate walls in the case of a miss. If I lived out in the sticks I'd stick with it, but being in a neighborhood, I'd rather not have something that can penetrate enough to leave my house. That's why I'd go with the .45 option.
    That's why I say shotgun. Most of the advantages of a rifle without the overpenetration. When I get my acreage, then the AK with all the tacticool goodies will live by my bedside. With drum mag. I've killed enough alarm clocks for waking me up at 0-dark-30. My mood at that hour is less than diplomatic.

Pattern Spread

Unless it is a 12 gauge loaded with dimes. I don't recommend this with a full choke, rather shorten it up a bit so it easy to "point".

-Whitney
    The problem with America is stupidity.
    I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

I have to agree. Using my 18.5" Barrel on my Mossy 500 at about 50ft with Birdshot, the spread wasn't very bad. Maybe a foot and a half across. Now, in my apartment, I'll never be more than 10-15ft from any person within sight and it's loaded with 00 Buck. I don't think that it'll have the spread to just fire in the direction and guarantee a hit...
    "though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Psalms 23:4

"Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power." Benjamin Franklin

“It’s always open season on criminals in Mason County, and there’s no bag limit.” Sen. Tim Sheldon (D)

Molōn labe!

Yah what's the spread on a standard 00 round at 20 feet or so? 2-4 inches depending on your gun? I don't think SWAT uses it for the spread, I think they are using it because it'll take someone's head clean off and take them out of the fight.

Quote Originally Posted by skiingislife725 View Post
    Yah what's the spread on a standard 00 round at 20 feet or so? 2-4 inches depending on your gun? I don't think SWAT uses it for the spread, I think they are using it because it'll take someone's head clean off and take them out of the fight.
    Blunt force trauma at 1200 FPS works every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitney View Post
    Unless it is a 12 gauge loaded with dimes. I don't recommend this with a full choke, rather shorten it up a bit so it easy to "point".

-Whitney
    You must have missed the episode on Mythbusters where they shot the pig carcas using a shotgun loaded with dimes.

Essentially, a good, heavy denim jacket kept the dimes from penetrating. They don't fly worth a crap and loose all their energy in just a few feet out of the muzzle.

If you want to be effective and do some damage, spend the dimes on some #4 buck or the like.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Only if we could use the same shotguns the IRS are allowed to carry.

Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    Only if we could use the same shotguns the IRS are allowed to carry.
    Does anyone else see something wrong with the IRS having shotguns?
    Guns don't kill people, bullets do!

Quote Originally Posted by tombrewster421 View Post
    It depends if they carry ID with their shotgun or not.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tombrewster421 View Post
    Yea a lot of us do.

We gone over it fairly extensive before, it is cutting out the checks and balances in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by skiingislife725 View Post

The Box o Truth has your answer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast