Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Slide stop not engaging on last round.

  1. #1
    Regular Member COMMANDER1911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Flintstone, GA
    Posts
    129

    Slide stop not engaging on last round.

    I just got a Taurus PT1911 and I am very pleased with it. it hits where I aim and shoots very well. I use Wilson magazines with plastic followers, and with two out of three of them the gun doesn't go to slide lock after the last round. Using deductive reasoning I came to the conclusion that if I replace the followers in the two wilsons the problem will be fixed. Just want to get all of your opinions as well before I spend any money.

  2. #2
    Regular Member Superlite27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    God's Country, Missouri
    Posts
    1,279
    Here's a few I like:

    http://www.midwayusa.com/Search/#col..._1-2-4_8-16-32

    or

    http://www.midwayusa.com/Search/#met..._1-2-4_8-16-32


    I've always used Metalforms with no problem, but have recently developed the same problem you have.....

    after thousands and thousands of rounds. I'm chalking it up to "wear" after using them for 4 years. I've heard nothing but good things about Colt mags, so I'm considering changing to them.

  3. #3
    Regular Member COMMANDER1911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Flintstone, GA
    Posts
    129
    Thanks for the info. I just stumbled across Tripp upgrade kits for 8.95 USD a pop, and I must say their hybrid followers look very very nice

  4. #4
    Regular Member bom1911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Chesterfield County , USA
    Posts
    114
    I can't tell you why you won't slide lock, but I recently started having the same problem with some of my Colt hybrid magazines. I replaced the springs in the magazines with Wolff springs, and I was locking up after the last round again.

    FYI, here is a good source of info on 1911 magazines.

    http://how-i-did-it.org/magazines/

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Falls Church, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    392
    Are you cleaning your mags? The followers may be sticking to or obstructed by residue.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Old Saybrook, CT
    Posts
    469
    Also, go to Wolf ( www.gunsprings.com) and get some extra power mag springs. They're cheap and it never hurts to replace the mag springs evyer once in a while.

    Don

  7. #7
    Regular Member COMMANDER1911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Flintstone, GA
    Posts
    129
    I actually bought Tripp mag upgrade kits, and it they still didnt work....Bought a new wilson slide stop, and problem fixed. the slide stop was worn just a little where the follower engages.
    Proud GeorgiaCarry.org Member
    The only government control I need, is a good set of grips on my 1911.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1

    Same Slide Lock Issue

    I recently purchased a factory new Colt 1911 01970RG. I live in an area where there are very few places I can go to shoot. Without the ability to do that, I have been getting a feel for how the gun operates, and I notice that the problem that the OP is having is very similar to my own. When I eject the last round (via racking the slide manually) from the firearm, neither of the factory mags appear to have enough strength to engage the slide lock. Finding this thread, I chose to post and inquire as to if this has to do with the mag or slide lock, or if it's because the weapon isn't being fired, that I'm just racking the slide. My other weapon, a Bersa Thunder 380, Doesn't behave this way. When I eject the last round from the chamber of the weapon, the slide lock works without error. Any advice?

  9. #9
    Regular Member 1245A Defender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    north mason county, Washington, USA
    Posts
    4,381

    well,,,

    Quote Originally Posted by bb72488 View Post
    I recently purchased a factory new Colt 1911 01970RG. I live in an area where there are very few places I can go to shoot. Without the ability to do that, I have been getting a feel for how the gun operates, and I notice that the problem that the OP is having is very similar to my own. When I eject the last round (via racking the slide manually) from the firearm, neither of the factory mags appear to have enough strength to engage the slide lock. Finding this thread, I chose to post and inquire as to if this has to do with the mag or slide lock, or if it's because the weapon isn't being fired, that I'm just racking the slide. My other weapon, a Bersa Thunder 380, Doesn't behave this way. When I eject the last round from the chamber of the weapon, the slide lock works without error. Any advice?
    when an empty mag is latched in, you should be able to see the hold open latch push up against the bottom of the slide.
    when you pull open the slide you should be able to see the follower pushing up on the hold open tab inside the action.
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

    “If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

    Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

    All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

  10. #10
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fairfax Co., VA
    Posts
    18,766
    Quote Originally Posted by 1245A Defender View Post
    when an empty mag is latched in, you should be able to see the hold open latch push up against the bottom of the slide.
    when you pull open the slide you should be able to see the follower pushing up on the hold open tab inside the action.

    This is what I was thinking. Is the follower engaging the little slide-stop tab on the inside of the frame?

    Taurus uses lotsa MIM parts, and I can imagine an MIM slide-stop lever not quite being engaged by the follower.

    This is not to say the other possible culprits mentioned are invalid. Dirty mags, out-of-spec follower, etc. can do it, too. Heck, just put that little mag release notch a little out of place when making a magazine, and I can imagine that, combined with a few other parts being on the borderline, the mag might sit just a little too low for the follower to fully engage the slide stop's inside tab and push it up.

    But, I would examine that little tab on the inside of the slide-stop to see if there was anything suspicious about it. Before I spent money on other magazines. If there is something wrong with the slide-stop, a new magazine may not solve the problem.
    Last edited by Citizen; 10-17-2011 at 12:23 AM.

  11. #11
    Regular Member oak1971's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    1,937
    Quote Originally Posted by COMMANDER1911 View Post
    Thanks for the info. I just stumbled across Tripp upgrade kits for 8.95 USD a pop, and I must say their hybrid followers look very very nice
    I use them in all my mags. Bad (worn or out of spec) followers are the most common cause the problem you describe.
    In God I trust. Everyone else needs to keep your hands where I can see them.

  12. #12
    Regular Member oak1971's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    1,937
    Quote Originally Posted by COMMANDER1911 View Post
    I actually bought Tripp mag upgrade kits, and it they still didnt work....Bought a new wilson slide stop, and problem fixed. the slide stop was worn just a little where the follower engages.
    Well now you have both ends covered.
    In God I trust. Everyone else needs to keep your hands where I can see them.

  13. #13
    Campaign Veteran Schlitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,567
    Quote Originally Posted by COMMANDER1911 View Post
    I just got a Taurus PT1911 and I am very pleased with it. it hits where I aim and shoots very well. I use Wilson magazines with plastic followers, and with two out of three of them the gun doesn't go to slide lock after the last round. Using deductive reasoning I came to the conclusion that if I replace the followers in the two wilsons the problem will be fixed. Just want to get all of your opinions as well before I spend any money.
    I had the same exact problem with a brand new PT1911

    Nothing is wrong with your gun or magazines. Ready for the fix? Oil it up. Oil it up so much at the range that it is squirting oil onto your shooting glasses when you shoot. You have a metal slide on a metal frame that's nice, tight, and new. Don't go buy a whole bunch of magzines and new springs or anything to fix this problem, just oil it up ike crazy as you break it in.

    source: (I've owned 3 PT1911s.)

    EDIT: just now realizing how old this thread is.
    FWIW my last PT1911 was a complete piece of junk. i may trade it in.
    Last edited by Schlitz; 10-17-2011 at 08:18 AM.
    “The claim and exercise of a constitutional right cannot be converted into a crime.”
    [Miller vs. U.S., 230 F. Supp. 486, 489 (1956)]
    “There can be no sanction or penalty imposed upon one because of his exercise of constitutional rights.”
    [Sherar vs. Cullen, 481 F2d. 946 (1973)]

  14. #14
    Founder's Club Member ixtow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Suwannee County, FL
    Posts
    5,069
    I had this problem with my PT1911AR with the stock mags and the wilson combat. This was after 500rds of working just fine.

    Take the mag apart. Stretch the spring. Put it back together. Problem solved. They all work flawlessly now...
    Last edited by ixtow; 10-17-2011 at 04:23 PM.
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."
    http://edhelper.com/poetry/The_Hangm...rice_Ogden.htm

    https://gunthreadadapters.com

    "Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

    Tyranny with Manners is still Tyranny.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •