Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 41

Thread: Food Lion trouble, after 8 months?

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    5

    Food Lion trouble, after 8 months?

    I frequent my local Food Lion about 3-5 times a week, nearly every week, and have been OC constantly, every where I am legally allowed to do so for the past 8 months, including this particular Food Lion.

    I've never had any trouble at all, until last weekend when an assistant manager decided to tell me "Sir, you can't have that in here". I replied to her, "As a matter of fact, I can, you have no sign posted at the doors." She was standing to my left(weakside) talking with an employee about his lunch break for a good 2-3 minutes, it wasn't until I turned to continue my shopping and she noticed my gun that she said this. She insisted there was a sign posted, so I asked her to show me. We walk to the front, we stand there for a minute while she reads the sign over multiple times and says "Well, we used to have a sign posted that said no weapons, even concealed." I told her well I knew there was no sign, and had been no sign for the 6-8 months that I have been open carrying at this store, no employees have ever said anything to me about the store not allowing firearms (including her, which I know she has seen me in the store prior to this) and NC law says I can OC. She was obviously getting mad that I had shown her she was wrong and said "Well the employees must not have noticed it", and I told her as a matter of fact multiple employees have noticed, and have talked to me about it(I'm even referred to by a few as the gun guy, as I am the only person ever OC'ing there lol), and have even mentioned they feel a little safer with me in the store. All she had to say was, "Well that's fine, but I can't have you scaring customers in the store", I asked her if she had received any complaints, she stammered a little bit, and said "Uhh, yes I have". Now, if she had received a complaint from a customer, I imagine that she would have immediately approached me instead of having a conversation with an employee for a few minutes, and THEN telling me I could not carry in the store. I told her all she had to do was inform me of the customer complaint, and I would comply, but instead, because of her attitude and ignorance, I decided to leave my basket at the front of the store and head to the Wal-Mart, where prices are cheaper, and they never question my legal right to open carry. I have emailed Food Lion, and am awaiting a response, since the only info I could find on this forum was from about 2 years ago, just want to make sure I have the most recent policy from the corporate offices. My hunch is she was just having a bad day, and when I told her she was wrong she started fishing for any reason to tell me I couldn't be in the store OC'ing, I think I will most likely continue to open carry at this location, as I have been there quite a few times (I mean 3-5 times a week in 8 months is quite a few trips) with absolutely no incident from any managers at all, except this one, and if there is an additional incident with her I will ask to speak to the store manager, just to clarify his position on OC in his store. Unless you guys have a better suggestion for me?

  2. #2
    mattwestm
    Guest
    Personally, I've never had a negative OC experience at any store, but if I did, I doubt I'd ever go back. Where in NC is this Food Lion located? I've never had any problems at my local Food Lion.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Cameron NC, , USA
    Posts
    113
    1. Welcome to the forum!

    2. Use paragraphs please

    3. Make sure if they ask you to leave, to leave.

    4. I'd contact corporate and see what their opinion is. I haven't had any problems in the food kitty either... yet.

  4. #4
    Regular Member Walt_Kowalski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Ashburn, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    355
    Never point out that the "Should have had gun buster signs on their door"

    That is just asking for them to do so.
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"
    -- George Washington

  5. #5
    Regular Member sultan62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Clayton, NC
    Posts
    1,319
    Please provide additional details (Store number or location, manager name, etc.)

    This is your first post. I'm not trying to be rude, but it would be nice to know for sure that this happened before members start contacting corporate or the store to complain.
    "They don't give a damn about any trumpet playing band
    It ain't what they call rock and roll
    And the Sultans...
    Yeah the Sultans, they play Creole"

    OCDO Member
    NCGO Member

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    5
    Sorry for the lack of proper procedure and format lol, it is my first post, i have lurked the forums for awhile and decided to make a post after this incident.

    For the record I did not ask them to post the "no guns" sign, I merely informed her that she was incorrect and there were no signs posted to back up her story. Also, I wasn't asked to leave, just to not have my gun in the store, which as soon as this incident started we immediately went to the front and were outside the store, and as soon as the bogus "customer complaint" story came up I did leave.

    Her name Was Lisa Adams, at Store #2574 at 10601 E. NC 97 in Rocky Mount, NC. Thanks for the replies, and I hope to learn alot more from these forums

  7. #7
    mattwestm
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by gergmai View Post
    Sorry for the lack of proper procedure and format lol, it is my first post, i have lurked the forums for awhile and decided to make a post after this incident.

    For the record I did not ask them to post the "no guns" sign, I merely informed her that she was incorrect and there were no signs posted to back up her story. Also, I wasn't asked to leave, just to not have my gun in the store, which as soon as this incident started we immediately went to the front and were outside the store, and as soon as the bogus "customer complaint" story came up I did leave.

    Her name Was Lisa Adams, at Store #2574 at 10601 E. NC 97 in Rocky Mount, NC. Thanks for the replies, and I hope to learn alot more from these forums
    Sorry to change the subject, but since you're from Rocky Mount, try to come out to our OC lunch at 1230 at Parkers BBQ in Wilson. Also, we are having a range day this Saturday, November 13 at 0900 at Paradise Outdoors in Grimesland (about an hour from RMT).

  8. #8
    Regular Member Maverick9110e's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    224
    Strange, i OC everytime i'm in the Foodlion here in Wakefield (North Raleigh) off of New Falls of the Neuse road. Which is about 1-2 times a week. I've never been hassled at all by an employee. educated a few of the cashiers who were curious but in a good way. They have always treated me with respect and i will continue to shop there. Sounds like you prob. just got a bogus employee who didn't know or have anything better to do. Side note the Kroger around here is 2A friendly as well.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    5
    Is the OC lunch this upcoming Saturday the 13th as well? I am familiar with Wilson, lived there for a short while and may try to attend, it'll be nice to see some other OC people besides myself lol

    Also, this was my first ever anti-OC incident, most people in Rocky Mount have no problem with it, they always ask "Are you a cop?" first, "Do you have a permit?" second, and once I reply that no I am just a law abiding citizen exercising my 2nd amendment rights to protect myself, they usually say "I hear that", guess that comes with living in this crappy city ha

    The thing that really got me was I have been in this store more times than I can count OC, for this long with no trouble, even when this lady was on duty, but for some reason that day it became a problem.

  10. #10
    mattwestm
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by gergmai View Post
    Is the OC lunch this upcoming Saturday the 13th as well? I am familiar with Wilson, lived there for a short while and may try to attend, it'll be nice to see some other OC people besides myself lol

    Also, this was my first ever anti-OC incident, most people in Rocky Mount have no problem with it, they always ask "Are you a cop?" first, "Do you have a permit?" second, and once I reply that no I am just a law abiding citizen exercising my 2nd amendment rights to protect myself, they usually say "I hear that", guess that comes with living in this crappy city ha

    The thing that really got me was I have been in this store more times than I can count OC, for this long with no trouble, even when this lady was on duty, but for some reason that day it became a problem.
    Oh, sorry, the lunch at Parkers is on December 5 at 1230

  11. #11
    Regular Member Resto Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    right here
    Posts
    186
    Quote Originally Posted by gergmai View Post
    For the record I did not ask them to post the "no guns" sign, I merely informed her that she was incorrect and there were no signs posted to back up her story.

    Sometimes the mention of "no sign" can provoke a manager to post one, even if unauthorized by corporate.
    My son worked for that company for many years, and believe me, they change management like some people change underwear. In 3 weeks, open carry may not be an issue at that store.

  12. #12
    Regular Member rotorhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    862
    It does sound more like a personal agenda on the part of this manager rather than any official policy of the store or the company. Food Lion is one of the companies in this area that have always been cool with OC as far as I've experienced.

    However, it seems you handled yourself well and the bottom line is that if you are asked to leave, or someone from a business indicates to you that the gun is not allowed in the store, your legal obligation is to remove yourself and/ or the gun. If you fail to, you could be charged with trespassing or even DC. Just watch out for that kind of situation, k?

    In the meantime, continue with your request of clarification and please post what info you get.

    Welcome

  13. #13
    Regular Member maverick2694's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Norfolk, Va
    Posts
    41
    PM sent.

  14. #14
    Regular Member sultan62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Clayton, NC
    Posts
    1,319
    Thanks for the details, gergmai.

    As someone else pointed out in another thread, we seem to be seeing more anti-OC incidents as of late.

    I really need to get an a/v recorder...money, oh money, why do you pain me so?
    "They don't give a damn about any trumpet playing band
    It ain't what they call rock and roll
    And the Sultans...
    Yeah the Sultans, they play Creole"

    OCDO Member
    NCGO Member

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    159
    I have always had good experiences in the Food lions in garner and here in the North Hills area of Raleigh. I did have a negative experience at the Harris Teeter at north hills.

    Someone called the local security who called the cops, however the officers where very professional, he did say that it was the company policy that firearms where not permitted on the property, I did not really want to take the time to pursue the legitimacy of the point, I asked if I had to leave, the officer said no so I carried on looking for the post box I never found.

    Anyways, great forum and thanks for all the information!

  16. #16
    Regular Member Dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Grennsboro NC
    Posts
    5,358
    I have been OCing in both the Food Lions in Washington NC, and in the Greenville Food Lion off 10th and Greenville Blvd for about 2 years, and NEVER has it been an issue. Not once...

    In fact, I OCed my Glock in a Serpa last night at the Washington Food Lion, and picked up a REALLY yummy frozen pizza and some soda. Not so much as a blink or double-take from anyone.

    The "eastern counties" seem to be MUCH more accepting of OC than the rest of the state. I'm glad I live in a part of the state where the citizens all seem to "get it"...

    Sorry to hear about your troubles. Hopefully your OC experiences will be quiet, and absent hassle in the future!
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

  17. #17
    Regular Member Northerner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Clayton, NC
    Posts
    320
    Quote Originally Posted by Xulld View Post
    I have always had good experiences in the Food lions in garner and here in the North Hills area of Raleigh. I did have a negative experience at the Harris Teeter at north hills.
    OC at the 42 Food Lion in Clayton and the newer one in Riverwood Community without a second glance. Lowes in Clayton never an issue. Even the Harris teeter in Wilson, not an issue.

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    65
    The Food Lion in La Grange (Lenoir County) has never given me any trouble, aside from one VERY naive young lady telling me that the gun scared her. I promised her my gun wasn't going to hurt her.
    Last edited by Gilly; 11-10-2010 at 02:09 PM.

  19. #19
    Regular Member elixin77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Greenville, NC, ,
    Posts
    591
    Personally, I'm not much of a fan of Food Lions. I find their stores to not be as clean as others (which is a bit important to me, considering they sell food), and the food I buy can be had cheaper elsewhere.

    However, the few times I have been to Food Lion, I do OC, and have not had an issue.

    best thing to do is what you did, and email corporate. Always ask for their firearms policy, and to cite where they found it. If you ask someone to cite, then they can't just make something up off the top of their head with how they feel about something.

    Stay safe.
    Last edited by elixin77; 11-10-2010 at 03:17 PM.
    Taurus PT1911 .45 ACP. Carried in condition 1, with a total of 25 rounds.

    Vice President of Students for Concealed Carry on Campus, ECU Chapter

  20. #20
    Regular Member paramedic70002's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Franklin, VA, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,448
    There was a post I think on the VA forum not too long ago of a similar incident. The OP got confirmation from the guy in charge of all VA and NC stores that they follow applicable state law. I'd look it up myself but I'm a little short on time right now.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

    Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

  21. #21
    mattwestm
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by elixin77 View Post
    Personally, I'm not much of a fan of Food Lions. I find their stores to not be as clean as others (which is a bit important to me, considering they sell food), and the food I buy can be had cheaper elsewhere.

    However, the few times I have been to Food Lion, I do OC, and have not had an issue.

    best thing to do is what you did, and email corporate. Always ask for their firearms policy, and to cite where they found it. If you ask someone to cite, then they can't just make something up off the top of their head with how they feel about something.

    Stay safe.
    I don't know where I'll shop after Kroger here closes. I guess I'll be stuck at Food Lion and Harris Teeter. I think I've only OC'd once in HT here and didn't have any problems. I do seem to recall many people having problems in their stores though.

  22. #22
    Regular Member elixin77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Greenville, NC, ,
    Posts
    591
    It's going to be a very sad day when kroger closes (will you still have your job?). they have the best prices in the area (even better then wally world at times), the produce is excellent, the meat is excellent, the store brand food actually tastes good. And I've never had a problem with OC while there.

    HT is too expensive, and I've never really liked them. Food lion is ok, but the stores usually seem a bit dirty. Lowes foods is good, so i'll probably be shopping there from now on.
    Taurus PT1911 .45 ACP. Carried in condition 1, with a total of 25 rounds.

    Vice President of Students for Concealed Carry on Campus, ECU Chapter

  23. #23
    Regular Member maverick2694's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Norfolk, Va
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    There was a post I think on the VA forum not too long ago of a similar incident. The OP got confirmation from the guy in charge of all VA and NC stores that they follow applicable state law. I'd look it up myself but I'm a little short on time right now.
    That was me. I sent a PM with the information to the OP.

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Loughman,Florida, USA
    Posts
    119
    Quote Originally Posted by elixin77 View Post
    It's going to be a very sad day when kroger closes (will you still have your job?). they have the best prices in the area (even better then wally world at times), the produce is excellent, the meat is excellent, the store brand food actually tastes good. And I've never had a problem with OC while there.

    HT is too expensive, and I've never really liked them. Food lion is ok, but the stores usually seem a bit dirty. Lowes foods is good, so i'll probably be shopping there from now on.


    OT but... i find that HT is cheaper than the food kitty on many things
    GO PIRATES!!!!!

  25. #25
    mattwestm
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by elixin77 View Post
    It's going to be a very sad day when kroger closes (will you still have your job?). they have the best prices in the area (even better then wally world at times), the produce is excellent, the meat is excellent, the store brand food actually tastes good. And I've never had a problem with OC while there.

    HT is too expensive, and I've never really liked them. Food lion is ok, but the stores usually seem a bit dirty. Lowes foods is good, so i'll probably be shopping there from now on.
    Nope, I'll be out of a job. Although I'm thinking I should take some time off work anyways. They really do have the best prices. I haven't been anywhere else shopping in a long time. Kroger has the only store brand that actually is quality. Best of all, employees get 15% discount on Kroger products. When we close, I'll probably start shopping at Food Lion in Winterville (a clean, recently refurbished store) and occasionally Lowe's Foods (a little expensive, but not as bad as HT).

    I just can't bring myself to do grocery shopping in Wally World. My dad bought some ground beef from there in Raleigh and got really sick. We were guessing that someone found it on a shelf at room temp and then returned it to the cooler. The Food Lion on 10th street is pretty ghetto looking, but the one on Red Banks and in Winterville are nice.

    I think I made my last Kroger shopping trip tonight. We are out of so much stuff because no more trucks are coming in and I could only find about half of what I needed. Such a shame...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •