• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Food Lion trouble, after 8 months?

gergmai

I frequent my local Food Lion about 3-5 times a week, nearly every week, and have been OC constantly, every where I am legally allowed to do so for the past 8 months, including this particular Food Lion.

I've never had any trouble at all, until last weekend when an assistant manager decided to tell me "Sir, you can't have that in here". I replied to her, "As a matter of fact, I can, you have no sign posted at the doors." She was standing to my left(weakside) talking with an employee about his lunch break for a good 2-3 minutes, it wasn't until I turned to continue my shopping and she noticed my gun that she said this. She insisted there was a sign posted, so I asked her to show me. We walk to the front, we stand there for a minute while she reads the sign over multiple times and says "Well, we used to have a sign posted that said no weapons, even concealed." I told her well I knew there was no sign, and had been no sign for the 6-8 months that I have been open carrying at this store, no employees have ever said anything to me about the store not allowing firearms (including her, which I know she has seen me in the store prior to this) and NC law says I can OC. She was obviously getting mad that I had shown her she was wrong and said "Well the employees must not have noticed it", and I told her as a matter of fact multiple employees have noticed, and have talked to me about it(I'm even referred to by a few as the gun guy, as I am the only person ever OC'ing there lol), and have even mentioned they feel a little safer with me in the store. All she had to say was, "Well that's fine, but I can't have you scaring customers in the store", I asked her if she had received any complaints, she stammered a little bit, and said "Uhh, yes I have". Now, if she had received a complaint from a customer, I imagine that she would have immediately approached me instead of having a conversation with an employee for a few minutes, and THEN telling me I could not carry in the store. I told her all she had to do was inform me of the customer complaint, and I would comply, but instead, because of her attitude and ignorance, I decided to leave my basket at the front of the store and head to the Wal-Mart, where prices are cheaper, and they never question my legal right to open carry. I have emailed Food Lion, and am awaiting a response, since the only info I could find on this forum was from about 2 years ago, just want to make sure I have the most recent policy from the corporate offices. My hunch is she was just having a bad day, and when I told her she was wrong she started fishing for any reason to tell me I couldn't be in the store OC'ing, I think I will most likely continue to open carry at this location, as I have been there quite a few times (I mean 3-5 times a week in 8 months is quite a few trips) with absolutely no incident from any managers at all, except this one, and if there is an additional incident with her I will ask to speak to the store manager, just to clarify his position on OC in his store. Unless you guys have a better suggestion for me?

M

mattwestm

Personally, I've never had a negative OC experience at any store, but if I did, I doubt I'd ever go back. Where in NC is this Food Lion located? I've never had any problems at my local Food Lion.

calynn

1. Welcome to the forum!

2. Use paragraphs please

3. Make sure if they ask you to leave, to leave.

4. I'd contact corporate and see what their opinion is. I haven't had any problems in the food kitty either... yet.

sultan62

Please provide additional details (Store number or location, manager name, etc.)

This is your first post. I'm not trying to be rude, but it would be nice to know for sure that this happened before members start contacting corporate or the store to complain.

gergmai

Sorry for the lack of proper procedure and format lol, it is my first post, i have lurked the forums for awhile and decided to make a post after this incident.

For the record I did not ask them to post the "no guns" sign, I merely informed her that she was incorrect and there were no signs posted to back up her story. Also, I wasn't asked to leave, just to not have my gun in the store, which as soon as this incident started we immediately went to the front and were outside the store, and as soon as the bogus "customer complaint" story came up I did leave.

Her name Was Lisa Adams, at Store #2574 at 10601 E. NC 97 in Rocky Mount, NC. Thanks for the replies, and I hope to learn alot more from these forums

M

mattwestm

Sorry for the lack of proper procedure and format lol, it is my first post, i have lurked the forums for awhile and decided to make a post after this incident.

For the record I did not ask them to post the "no guns" sign, I merely informed her that she was incorrect and there were no signs posted to back up her story. Also, I wasn't asked to leave, just to not have my gun in the store, which as soon as this incident started we immediately went to the front and were outside the store, and as soon as the bogus "customer complaint" story came up I did leave.

Her name Was Lisa Adams, at Store #2574 at 10601 E. NC 97 in Rocky Mount, NC. Thanks for the replies, and I hope to learn alot more from these forums

Sorry to change the subject, but since you're from Rocky Mount, try to come out to our OC lunch at 1230 at Parkers BBQ in Wilson. Also, we are having a range day this Saturday, November 13 at 0900 at Paradise Outdoors in Grimesland (about an hour from RMT).

Maverick9110e

Strange, i OC everytime i'm in the Foodlion here in Wakefield (North Raleigh) off of New Falls of the Neuse road. Which is about 1-2 times a week. I've never been hassled at all by an employee. educated a few of the cashiers who were curious but in a good way. They have always treated me with respect and i will continue to shop there. Sounds like you prob. just got a bogus employee who didn't know or have anything better to do. Side note the Kroger around here is 2A friendly as well.

gergmai

Is the OC lunch this upcoming Saturday the 13th as well? I am familiar with Wilson, lived there for a short while and may try to attend, it'll be nice to see some other OC people besides myself lol

Also, this was my first ever anti-OC incident, most people in Rocky Mount have no problem with it, they always ask "Are you a cop?" first, "Do you have a permit?" second, and once I reply that no I am just a law abiding citizen exercising my 2nd amendment rights to protect myself, they usually say "I hear that", guess that comes with living in this crappy city ha

The thing that really got me was I have been in this store more times than I can count OC, for this long with no trouble, even when this lady was on duty, but for some reason that day it became a problem.

M

mattwestm

Is the OC lunch this upcoming Saturday the 13th as well? I am familiar with Wilson, lived there for a short while and may try to attend, it'll be nice to see some other OC people besides myself lol

Also, this was my first ever anti-OC incident, most people in Rocky Mount have no problem with it, they always ask "Are you a cop?" first, "Do you have a permit?" second, and once I reply that no I am just a law abiding citizen exercising my 2nd amendment rights to protect myself, they usually say "I hear that", guess that comes with living in this crappy city ha

The thing that really got me was I have been in this store more times than I can count OC, for this long with no trouble, even when this lady was on duty, but for some reason that day it became a problem.

Oh, sorry, the lunch at Parkers is on December 5 at 1230

Resto Guy

For the record I did not ask them to post the "no guns" sign, I merely informed her that she was incorrect and there were no signs posted to back up her story.

Sometimes the mention of "no sign" can provoke a manager to post one, even if unauthorized by corporate.
My son worked for that company for many years, and believe me, they change management like some people change underwear. In 3 weeks, open carry may not be an issue at that store.

rotorhead

It does sound more like a personal agenda on the part of this manager rather than any official policy of the store or the company. Food Lion is one of the companies in this area that have always been cool with OC as far as I've experienced.

However, it seems you handled yourself well and the bottom line is that if you are asked to leave, or someone from a business indicates to you that the gun is not allowed in the store, your legal obligation is to remove yourself and/ or the gun. If you fail to, you could be charged with trespassing or even DC. Just watch out for that kind of situation, k?

In the meantime, continue with your request of clarification and please post what info you get.

Welcome :)

sultan62

Thanks for the details, gergmai.

As someone else pointed out in another thread, we seem to be seeing more anti-OC incidents as of late.

I really need to get an a/v recorder...money, oh money, why do you pain me so?

Xulld

I have always had good experiences in the Food lions in garner and here in the North Hills area of Raleigh. I did have a negative experience at the Harris Teeter at north hills.

Someone called the local security who called the cops, however the officers where very professional, he did say that it was the company policy that firearms where not permitted on the property, I did not really want to take the time to pursue the legitimacy of the point, I asked if I had to leave, the officer said no so I carried on looking for the post box I never found.

Anyways, great forum and thanks for all the information!

Dreamer

I have been OCing in both the Food Lions in Washington NC, and in the Greenville Food Lion off 10th and Greenville Blvd for about 2 years, and NEVER has it been an issue. Not once...

In fact, I OCed my Glock in a Serpa last night at the Washington Food Lion, and picked up a REALLY yummy frozen pizza and some soda. Not so much as a blink or double-take from anyone.

The "eastern counties" seem to be MUCH more accepting of OC than the rest of the state. I'm glad I live in a part of the state where the citizens all seem to "get it"...

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Hopefully your OC experiences will be quiet, and absent hassle in the future!

Northerner

I have always had good experiences in the Food lions in garner and here in the North Hills area of Raleigh. I did have a negative experience at the Harris Teeter at north hills.

OC at the 42 Food Lion in Clayton and the newer one in Riverwood Community without a second glance. Lowes in Clayton never an issue. Even the Harris teeter in Wilson, not an issue.

Gilly

The Food Lion in La Grange (Lenoir County) has never given me any trouble, aside from one VERY naive young lady telling me that the gun scared her. I promised her my gun wasn't going to hurt her.

Last edited:

elixin77

Personally, I'm not much of a fan of Food Lions. I find their stores to not be as clean as others (which is a bit important to me, considering they sell food), and the food I buy can be had cheaper elsewhere.

However, the few times I have been to Food Lion, I do OC, and have not had an issue.

best thing to do is what you did, and email corporate. Always ask for their firearms policy, and to cite where they found it. If you ask someone to cite, then they can't just make something up off the top of their head with how they feel about something.

Stay safe.

Last edited:

paramedic70002

There was a post I think on the VA forum not too long ago of a similar incident. The OP got confirmation from the guy in charge of all VA and NC stores that they follow applicable state law. I'd look it up myself but I'm a little short on time right now.