• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Food Lion trouble, after 8 months?

M

mattwestm

Personally, I'm not much of a fan of Food Lions. I find their stores to not be as clean as others (which is a bit important to me, considering they sell food), and the food I buy can be had cheaper elsewhere.

However, the few times I have been to Food Lion, I do OC, and have not had an issue.

best thing to do is what you did, and email corporate. Always ask for their firearms policy, and to cite where they found it. If you ask someone to cite, then they can't just make something up off the top of their head with how they feel about something.

Stay safe.

I don't know where I'll shop after Kroger here closes. I guess I'll be stuck at Food Lion and Harris Teeter. I think I've only OC'd once in HT here and didn't have any problems. I do seem to recall many people having problems in their stores though.

elixin77

It's going to be a very sad day when kroger closes (will you still have your job?). they have the best prices in the area (even better then wally world at times), the produce is excellent, the meat is excellent, the store brand food actually tastes good. And I've never had a problem with OC while there.

HT is too expensive, and I've never really liked them. Food lion is ok, but the stores usually seem a bit dirty. Lowes foods is good, so i'll probably be shopping there from now on.

maverick2694

There was a post I think on the VA forum not too long ago of a similar incident. The OP got confirmation from the guy in charge of all VA and NC stores that they follow applicable state law. I'd look it up myself but I'm a little short on time right now.

That was me. I sent a PM with the information to the OP.

edrolee

It's going to be a very sad day when kroger closes (will you still have your job?). they have the best prices in the area (even better then wally world at times), the produce is excellent, the meat is excellent, the store brand food actually tastes good. And I've never had a problem with OC while there.

HT is too expensive, and I've never really liked them. Food lion is ok, but the stores usually seem a bit dirty. Lowes foods is good, so i'll probably be shopping there from now on.

OT but... i find that HT is cheaper than the food kitty on many things

M

mattwestm

Nope, I'll be out of a job. Although I'm thinking I should take some time off work anyways. They really do have the best prices. I haven't been anywhere else shopping in a long time. Kroger has the only store brand that actually is quality. Best of all, employees get 15% discount on Kroger products. When we close, I'll probably start shopping at Food Lion in Winterville (a clean, recently refurbished store) and occasionally Lowe's Foods (a little expensive, but not as bad as HT).

I just can't bring myself to do grocery shopping in Wally World. My dad bought some ground beef from there in Raleigh and got really sick. We were guessing that someone found it on a shelf at room temp and then returned it to the cooler. The Food Lion on 10th street is pretty ghetto looking, but the one on Red Banks and in Winterville are nice.

I think I made my last Kroger shopping trip tonight. We are out of so much stuff because no more trucks are coming in and I could only find about half of what I needed. Such a shame...

sultan62

Way OT, but I don't think I've ever been to a Kroger. The FL near us is usually pretty clean, but there's another one about 15 minutes away that is disgusting, so I wouldn't write off all FLs.

elixin77

Way OT, but I don't think I've ever been to a Kroger. The FL near us is usually pretty clean, but there's another one about 15 minutes away that is disgusting, so I wouldn't write off all FLs.

Im not downgrading all of FLs, but of the 3 in greenville, only 1 is fairly clean, and the other two arent.

And I've always seen that HT is more expensive in all areas, but that could be the Greenville area. I might have to check out the FL in winterville, but its a bit of a drive to pick up food.

Resto Guy

Im not downgrading all of FLs, but of the 3 in greenville, only 1 is fairly clean, and the other two arent.

And I've always seen that HT is more expensive in all areas, but that could be the Greenville area. I might have to check out the FL in winterville, but its a bit of a drive to pick up food.

I can think of 4. Easy Street past the airport, Stantonsburg Rd. past the hospital, Bell's Fork, 10th St.

But I also consider Winterville and Eastern Pines stores as Greenville locations because both are just barely beyond the city limits.

Last edited:

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
Personally, I'm not much of a fan of Food Lions. I find their stores to not be as clean as others (which is a bit important to me, considering they sell food), and the food I buy can be had cheaper elsewhere.
I don't imagine y'all remember them being caught 'processing' out of date foods to restore their wholesome appearance - with sodium hypochlorite and sodium nitrate.

rotorhead

I don't imagine y'all remember them being caught 'processing' out of date foods to restore their wholesome appearance - with sodium hypochlorite and sodium nitrate.

I remember that well, one reason why I don't buy meats there still. But in their defense, they did get nailed hard for that and really made improvements since then.

rotorhead

heh touche

But still, I get meats elsewhere for a couple reasons. One is price, another is quality, and a third is...well....maybe there still is that little fear of the past. Reputations are hard to change, as many gun owners have come to realize :)

Ruger

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
I do most of my grocery shopping at Food Lion (located on W. Wendover Avenue in High Point, near the Palladium Theater). I have been OC'ing there probably twice a week on average for almost a year. Never have I encountered any resistance. Once I had a curious shopper go through the whole "are you a cop?" thing, but even that turned out to be a positive experience.

edrolee

I can think of 4. Easy Street past the airport, Stantonsburg Rd. past the hospital, Bell's Fork, 10th St.

But I also consider Winterville and Eastern Pines stores as Greenville locations because both are just barely beyond the city limits.

one on 10th and porter town rd just past the new lowes, one on memorial in front of the old lowes, one on red banks by the bowling alley behind moe's

so that's 7 IN greenville

gergmai

What's up guys, sorry for the delay in getting back up here to let you know what happened, but I received a phone call last week around Tuesday from a Mr. J J Jameson, I believe his name was (although now that sounds more like a comic book character lol), from corporate offices in Charlotte, NC to let me know he had contacted the store in question.

The end result was he informed the assistant manager that Food Lion has no corporate policy "prohibiting customers from legally carrying their firearms in/on the premises", and although the lady still stuck to her "customer complaint" story (which I made sure to inform him of my suspicions in how she handled the "customer complaint") he told her in the future she should assure the customer that I am in fact a regular in their store (since she told the corporate guy she did recognize me and I was in there all the time) and that I was doing nothing wrong by legally carrying my firearm in the store, instead of asking me to leave.

He did mention that there may be a few stores that have signs up, and maybe she came from one of those stores to explain why she insisted on the sign policy, but as long as there is no sign posted then we are good to go, and I shouldn't have any more issues in their store.

So there you have it, the greenlight for open carry in Food Lions (just check for any signs by the front door to be safe, and if your local FL is posted, I'd suggest contacting corporate to see if you can get it removed for your convenience lol)

traxis43196543

had this to happen

went to food lion on hwy 109 outside of thomasvile nc
assistent manager stated that he was told by corperate they would no longer allow open carry, when i asked when did they notify the stores of this and he stated that it had came through last year.
called corperate and was told that they never issued any such letter and wanted more info on manager at store.

few days later assistent manager no longer worked there. i think some of them at these stores are trying to voice there own rules as they want

Smith45acp

3. Make sure if they ask you to leave, to leave.

^This

If anyone in control of private property, (especially? a manager), asks you to leave then you should beat it. If you feel they are acting against corporate policy then make some calls, clarify, and return after someone has educated him or her.

If you are asked to leave for any reason, and refuse, you are setting yourself up for a petty trespassing charge. You may or may not be able to deal with it in court but it's not a fight I'd like to find myself in.

I've been in a business that had apparently inconsistently posted their entrances, and I truly didn't know that I had picked one of their "special doors" with no signage. I was approached by several LEO's and one of the things I made clear was "If anyone in control of this property is asking me to leave, I will happily do so".

Smith45acp

went to food lion on hwy 109 outside of thomasvile nc
assistent manager stated that he was told by corperate they would no longer allow open carry, when i asked when did they notify the stores of this and he stated that it had came through last year.
called corperate and was told that they never issued any such letter and wanted more info on manager at store.

few days later assistent manager no longer worked there. i think some of them at these stores are trying to voice there own rules as they want

I didn't read this part first, and it doesn't surprise me. However my above post still stands. If that manager had asked you to leave, and you continued shopping for milk and oj, the responding LEO's will almost certainly take you for an unpleasant ride.

Technically breaking a law is still breaking a law.