• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Home Baked Survival Bars

Beretta92FSLady

So I have been messing around a bit with recipes and have found what I think is a good home made survival bar that I am going to put in mylar pouches with an oxygen absorber for BOB's.

My first batch I put too much sugar in it, made me too thirsty, so I cut back the sugar and replaced the loss of calories with more almonds and more oil.

So, here is the question:

Which is more important, a high fat content or a high carbohydrate content?

I think that the former is best. You will likely be rationing anyhow, living off of body fat, it would be best that you are consuming foods with higher fat content (better fuel) than carbohydrates (quicker but doesn't last as long).

Here is the nutrient count per bar (2"X3"X1"):

860 calories
60 g. fat
84 g. carbohydrates
14.6 g protein

eye95

So I have been messing around a bit with recipes and have found what I think is a good home made survival bar that I am going to put in mylar pouches with an oxygen absorber for BOB's.

My first batch I put too much sugar in it, made me too thirsty, so I cut back the sugar and replaced the loss of calories with more almonds and more oil.

So, here is the question:

Which is more important, a high fat content or a high carbohydrate content?

I think that the former is best. You will likely be rationing anyhow, living off of body fat, it would be best that you are consuming foods with higher fat content (better fuel) than carbohydrates (quicker but doesn't last as long).

Here is the nutrient count per bar (2"X3"X1"):

860 calories
60 g. fat
84 g. carbohydrates
14.6 g protein

How much fiber? At my age, that is a concern. Even in a post-apocalypse.

Yeah, I know. TMI.

Beretta92FSLady

How much fiber? At my age, that is a concern. Even in a post-apocalypse.

Yeah, I know. TMI.

Instead of using white flour I am going to use whole wheat. If you eat two bars a day you will get 27 g. of fiber.

You would be getting about twice the amount of recommended per day fat from two of these bars, but considering the circumstances that forced you to starting living off them, extra fat is a really good thing IMO.

Last edited:

Beretta92FSLady

Good deal. Now, give me a bar, and I'll give you a review. ;)

That's a distance to send a bar. Hungry? When I make a huge batch and mylar them, I will ship you a brick. I tried to not make them too sweet because it can be overwhelming to eat nothing but sweet food every meal.

Daylen

short answer: it depends

I'll forgo a big analysis and just give what I prefer and a brief explanation of why.
-for my get home bag I have lots of nuts and some candy bars with high salt and Carmel content in addition to nuts. This gives lots of energy and some protein per weight. It could leave me lethargic in some situations but I have the willpower to eat small amounts at a time and keep moving so this mixture will ensure I don't loose too much weight if I must walk 100 miles.

-for my bug in supplies I like rice. especially brown rice, it is cheap and easy to keep for a long time. Lower class orientals through history (and maybe present I'm not up on current diets in Asia) have lived and worked eating mostly rice.

Daylen

That's a distance to send a bar. Hungry? When I make a huge batch and mylar them, I will ship you a brick. I tried to not make them too sweet because it can be overwhelming to eat nothing but sweet food every meal.

sweet can also lead to mastication problems. It can make the food hard instead of just sticking together.

Beretta92FSLady

Calories per gram of:

Protein 4
Carbohydrate 4
Fat 9

So, you get 2x + more calories per gram of fat than you do for either protein or Carbs.....

Just saying!

Which is better, to be eating high fat content or high carbohydrate? It would seem to me that the fat and the protein will give you more a sense of fullness than lots of carbs and less fat. When I used to run a lot...I am kinda lazy now, but when I used to run a lot carbs were nice, but fat was even nicer...I didn't feel as lethargic after like I did when consuming carbs.

***Are you saying that I should lower the fat content a bit?

Last edited:

JoeSparky

Centurion
I was not suggesting ANY changes to your recipe. It is up to you to decide what your main purpose is to be....
If it is not palatable--- no one will eat it
If it has too much sugar--- you covered that already.
If it has too much fat-- will the fat go rancid and then no one will eat it.
And for Eye95---- he just needs his fiber LOL

I was merely saying that gram for gram you get more than 2X the calories with fat than you do with Protein or carbs.

BTW the diabetic in me says.... stick with proteins and fat. I've discovered there is NO fiber in protein or fat!

Last edited: