Thread: Setback for gun rights in Washington State

Campaign Veteran Right Wing Wacko's Avatar

Setback for gun rights in Washington State

Washington State Gun rights may have just an important ally on the Washington Supreme Court.

For the first time since election day, Charlie Wiggins has taken a lead over Richard Sanders in votes counted. The latest vote update this evening (with a large number of ballots from King County, which heavily favors Wiggins) gives Wiggins a 3,491 vote lead.

In State v. Sieyes Sanders wrote, “Gun ownership is an inexorable birthright of American tradition. Americans who participated in the Revolution of 1776 and adopted the Bill of Rights held the individual right to have and use arms against tyranny to be fundamental.” State v. Sieyes, 225 P.3d 995 (2010)

Of course this isn’t the only opinion from Justice Sanders on gun rights. In a closely divided court he fiercely dissented from a terrible majority opinion in Pacific NW Shooting Park v. Sequim 158 Wn.2d 342 (2006) that allowed the sheriff to shut down a gun show in clear violation of state statute.

And in State v. Carter 151 Wn.2d 118 (2004) he demanded in dissent that police have a search warrant before disassembling a weapon. And there are many, many more opinions from this exceptional jurist protecting our gun rights.

I saw that this morning. How unfortunate. He is also a strong advocate for property rights. Arguably, this could be a bigger loss for the citizens of Washington State than Rossi's failed Senate bid.

It's too bad, but he's got no one but himself to blame. I like his stance on the issues, but he didn't give me much reason to respect him as a member of the bar. And his opponent really went after the seat.

Washington State Gun rights may have just an important ally on the Washington Supreme Court.
    I think you are missing the word LOST.... (may have just lost an important ally).

This will be a big loss for all of us.

One thing I found interesting about that seat was that Sanders listed in his Professional experience that paraphrased:

Was an Eagle Scout and that he once played the french horn in the Rose Bowl.

What kind of message is that...that in no way was Professional Experience. That's something that a high-school student would put on his Resume homework assignment.

Where as his opponent listed all kinds of experience in sphere related to the position.

Just something I remembered from looking at the voter booklet during the election.

-Wolfebane

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfebane View Post
    One thing I found interesting about that seat was that Sanders listed in his Professional experience that paraphrased:

What kind of message is that...that in no way was Professional Experience. That's something that a high-school student would put on his Resume homework assignment.

Where as his opponent listed all kinds of experience in sphere related to the position.

Just something I remembered from looking at the voter booklet during the election.

-Wolfebane
    He just wanted to point out that he was "qualified to blow his own horn"

"If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfebane View Post

-Wolfebane
    Although I voted for him and went to his website and read his opinions and speeches...I think another word for this is:

Overconfident Hubris
    Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat....Teddy Roosevelt

Damn...what a shame. Sanders was one of the few decent men left in Olympia, and I definitely would have voted for him if I were still a resident.