• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can You Keep a Rifle In Your Vehicle?

The Expert

If you have a crew-cab pickup truck, can you rig up straps to the flip-up rear seats so you can secure an unloaded long gun to it?

I've got a suspicion the answer is not because of something about you are only allowed to transport a firearm in a locked case to and from the range or something like that unless it's a pistol covered under your CPL.

WARCHILD

Yes you can...unloaded and in a case..doesn't have to be locked.

Transporting Firearms

750.227d Transporting or possessing firearm in or upon motor vehicle or self-propelled vehicle designed
for land travel; conditions; violation as misdemeanor; penalty.

Sec. 227d.
(1) Except as otherwise permitted by law, a person shall not transport or possess in or upon a motor vehicle or any
self-propelled vehicle designed for land travel a firearm, other than a pistol, unless the firearm is unloaded and is 1 or more of the following:

(a) Taken down.

(b) Enclosed in a case.

(c) Carried in the trunk of the vehicle.

(d) Inaccessible from the interior of the vehicle.

(2) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor, punishable by imprisonment for not more than 90 days, or a fine of not more than $100.00, or both.
History: Add. 1981, Act 103, Eff. Mar. 31, 1982.
750.231a A person is now permitted to transport a pistol for a lawful purpose if the owner or occupant of the vehicle is the registered owner of the firearm and the pistol is unloaded and in a closed case in the trunk of the vehicle. If the vehicle does not have a trunk, the pistol may be in the passenger compartment of the vehicle unloaded and inaccessible to the occupants of the vehicle.
A 'lawful purpose' includes: But not “limited to”;
• While en route to or from a hunting or target shooting area.
• While transporting a pistol to or from home or place of business and a place of repair.
• While moving goods from one place of residence or business to another place of residence or business.
• While transporting a licensed pistol to or from a law enforcement agency for the purpose of having a safety inspection performed (registering the pistol) or to have a law enforcement official take possession of the pistol.
• While en route to or from home or place of business to a gun show or place of purchase or sale.
• While en route to or from home to a public shooting facility or land where the discharge of firearms is permitted.
• While en route to or from home to private property where the pistol is to be used as permitted by law, rule, regulation, or local ordinance.

Last edited:

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
Yes you can...unloaded and in a case..doesn't have to be locked.

Transporting Firearms

750.227d Transporting or possessing firearm in or upon motor vehicle or self-propelled vehicle designed
for land travel; conditions; violation as misdemeanor; penalty.

Sec. 227d.
(1) Except as otherwise permitted by law, a person shall not transport or possess in or upon a motor vehicle or any
self-propelled vehicle designed for land travel a firearm, other than a pistol, unless the firearm is unloaded and is 1 or more of the following:

(a) Taken down.

(b) Enclosed in a case.

(c) Carried in the trunk of the vehicle.

(d) Inaccessible from the interior of the vehicle.

(2) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor, punishable by imprisonment for not more than 90 days, or a fine of not more than $100.00, or both.
History: Add. 1981, Act 103, Eff. Mar. 31, 1982.
750.231a A person is now permitted to transport a pistol for a lawful purpose if the owner or occupant of the vehicle is the registered owner of the firearm and the pistol is unloaded and in a closed case in the trunk of the vehicle. If the vehicle does not have a trunk, the pistol may be in the passenger compartment of the vehicle unloaded and inaccessible to the occupants of the vehicle.
A 'lawful purpose' includes: But not “limited to”;
• While en route to or from a hunting or target shooting area.
• While transporting a pistol to or from home or place of business and a place of repair.
• While moving goods from one place of residence or business to another place of residence or business.
• While transporting a licensed pistol to or from a law enforcement agency for the purpose of having a safety inspection performed (registering the pistol) or to have a law enforcement official take possession of the pistol.
• While en route to or from home or place of business to a gun show or place of purchase or sale.
• While en route to or from home to a public shooting facility or land where the discharge of firearms is permitted.
• While en route to or from home to private property where the pistol is to be used as permitted by law, rule, regulation, or local ordinance.

Warchild is correct: notice he bolded the important part. :)

B

Bikenut

Hmmm... so it is legal to have a rifle/shotgun in a case in the trunk and just leave it there from day to day while going about normal everyday business?

If so I learn something new everyday due to the brain trust of OCDO.

WARCHILD

Hmmm... so it is legal to have a rifle/shotgun in a case in the trunk and just leave it there from day to day while going about normal everyday business?

If so I learn something new everyday due to the brain trust of OCDO.

No brain trust here...still on a high learning curve !!!!

But yes, you can. Remember the law was changed and the examples given were not "all inclusive"; even though some LEO's try to interpret it that way. It also added the language, "all lawful purposes". The legislation making it's way through right now may give a better definition of "all lawful purposes"....

The Expert

Interesting.

So I could attach a case to the bottom of the seat and work some securing straps into it so the rifle doesn't rattle around.

Then, if stopped and taking long range fire, I could access step out of the truth, access the crew cab area, flip up the seat open the case, grab the rifle, load a magazine, chamber a round, and be in a position to return fire.

Excellent. I happened to live in DC during the sniper fiasco. It was very nerve wracking and a pistol would not offer a lot of comfort in that situation.

As to the corrosion thing, if i was going to take things to the level of carrying a rifle in the truck I would probably pay to have it sent out to Fail Zero and have it Nickel Boron coated. That way rust would never be an issue and you wouldn't even need to lube the gun.

It also would probably be an LMT AR-15 chambered in .308.

Last edited:

sasha601

I believe the best way to approach this is to get a CPL and buy a "Michigan Pistol". CPL allows possession of a loaded pistol in the car. In Michigan any firearm that has overall length of less than 30" is considered a pistol by Law. In Michigan this length is measured with stock folded or fully collapsed. So, if you have a "rifle" that has folding stock and this rifle is measured less than 30", then it is a "pistol" in Michigan and can be carried loaded in the car. Stock does not have to be folded at all times - it is still a pistol in Michigan, even if you keep your gun with stock unfolded. Almost all AK-47 rifles with 16" barrel and folding stock will measure less than 30". Some PTR91 rifles with 16" barrel and Choate folding stock will measure less than 30" (but not with telescoping stock - this PTR91 will be about 32" fully collapsed). Some shotguns with folding stock would be under 30" as well. Keep in mind that overall length must be measured from the end of barrel, not from the end of muzzle break (if it is threaded on and can be removed by hand). If muzzle break is permanently attached (welded on), then measurement should be taken from the end of muzzle break. Again, CPL is required to possess loaded "Michigan Pistol" rifle/shotgun in the car

B

Bikenut

You might want to think about corrosion due to the harsh conditions inside a vehicle due to the elements. And thieves.

I have a few of what I call "working guns"... the exact opposite of "safe queens" (although I have those too)... and working guns are exactly that... they are for work and scratches, dings, rust spots, and all the other nasty things that make a gun look bad are expected. Rest assured that the actual working innards are always well, and often, maintained.

So.... I would not worry about one of my "working guns" being subjected to less than perfect storage conditions.

As for thieves? Now why would I have to change my behavior so that a thief isn't tempted? It isn't my fault if someone steals something. I just don't buy into the idea (and you didn't say that... I'm pontificating) that it is my fault someone decided to commit a crime. You see... I am of the belief that $10,000 could be left unattended sitting in a pile on the trunk of my car and it damn well should still be there when I get back. And if it isn't that is not my fault... it is the fault of the low down filthy thieving scum that took it.

But I'm also not stupid enough to leave anything of value ("what is the value of a dinged & scratched rusty looking "working gun"?) unattended either.

And no... a responsible gun owner should not have to put 17 locks on each gun just because low life thieves exist!!!! Locked in a car trunk, behind a truck seat, should be more than enough!

lil_freak_66

Remember,we have "michigan pistols"(a firearm 26-30 inches in overall length.if equipped with a folding or collapsible stock,the length being measured when collapsed or folded)

and with a CPL,they can be kept anywhere in the vehicle and loaded,and they are exactly like long arms except for the legal definition....

WARCHILD

Remember,we have "michigan pistols"(a firearm 26-30 inches in overall length.if equipped with a folding or collapsible stock,the length being measured when collapsed or folded)

and with a CPL,they can be kept anywhere in the vehicle and loaded,and they are exactly like long arms except for the legal definition....

I always get a grin out of mis-comparisons:)
An apple is like and orange...except for the legal definition...shape...looks...taste:cuss:

Just pickin at you LiL'....but I do hate "same" comparisons.

warrior1978

2.1 Taking of animals; prohibited methods, devices, and weapons; exceptions.

Sec. 2.1 Unless otherwise specified in this order, a person shall not do any of the following:

(3) During the five days immediately preceding November 15, transport or possess in an area frequented by deer a rifle or shotgun with buckshot, slug load, ball load, or cut shell. A person may transport a rifle or shotgun to or from a hunting camp if the rifle or shotgun is unloaded and securely encased or carried in the trunk of a vehicle. This section shall not prohibit a resident who holds a fur harvester's license from carrying a rimfire firearm .22 caliber or smaller while hunting or checking a trap line during the open season for hunting or trapping fur‑bearing animals.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/Wcao_134367_7.html

lapeer20m

This is my mi pistol. It is a shotgun, but you could just as easily have a mi pistol that is a rifle mounted in the same location.

photo.JPG

Last edited:

k_rasmussen

Thanks for the question "The Expert".
Here is my Mi. pistol
DSCF3015.jpg

Kel-Tec RFB 7.62x51(308) 26" LOA with a 18" Barrel :D

or maybe this Arsenal SLR-106FR 5.56x45(.223)
SLR105FR003.jpg

Last edited:

1245A Defender

well,,,,

I always get a grin out of mis-comparisons:)
An apple is like and orange...except for the legal definition...shape...looks...taste:cuss:

Just pickin at you LiL'....but I do hate "same" comparisons.

i bought an AK-47, with a standard shoulder stock. it is a rifle!
i bought a folding stock, i installed it on my gun.
i have NEVER folded it.
if i lived in michigan, i would HAVE to register it as a pistol!
i can load it, and put it in my car, still legal!
it is exactly the SAME, now, with the folder, as before, with the standard shoulder stock!

The Expert

I love it when I hope for one answer and get an even better answer.

So let's mix this up a bit and make it more tricky.

What if I had my rifle (a real one, not a Michigan Pistol) stowed as originally described and was pulled over, obviously I would need to disclose to the officer that I'm carrying my pistol per the CPL requirement...but how do you handle the rifle?

budlight

Michigan law only requires you to disclose when carrying a concealed pistol. In the car OC is still CC so if the pistol is on you or in the passenger compartment you have to disclose.

A rifle is not a pistol, therefore the CPL disclosure law does not apply. Hopefully you have the rifle in the trunk, encased and unloaded. If for some reason the LEO searched your car, you would be legal.

Last edited:

WARCHILD

i bought an AK-47, with a standard shoulder stock. it is a rifle!
i bought a folding stock, i installed it on my gun.
i have NEVER folded it.
if i lived in michigan, i would HAVE to register it as a pistol!
i can load it, and put it in my car, still legal!
it is exactly the SAME, now, with the folder, as before, with the standard shoulder stock!

My point exactly...by your admission and by Mich law...a rifle and a pistol are NOT the SAME.

1245A Defender

wowwy!

i cant fool you, warchild!
my AK-47
still has the same muzzle brake, folding bi-pod, fore grip, 40 rd mag of 7.62X39,
pressure operated tac light and laser, red or green reflex sight, length, balance,
and performance, no matter what shoulder stock i have on it.
but it is indeed VERY different now, cause the law of your state says its a pistol!!
thanks for setting me straight.
its kinda like having an apple, that looks and acts like an apple,
but the state makes you call this apple an orange.

WARCHILD

i cant fool you, warchild!
my AK-47
still has the same muzzle brake, folding bi-pod, fore grip, 40 rd mag of 7.62X39,
pressure operated tac light and laser, red or green reflex sight, length, balance,
and performance, no matter what shoulder stock i have on it.
but it is indeed VERY different now, cause the law of your state says its a pistol!!
thanks for setting me straight.
its kinda like having an apple, that looks and acts like an apple,
but the state makes you call this apple an orange.

So true...leave it to the gov't to take something simple and confuse the hell out of it.
That's really a good analogy by the way...it's an apple but the state says it's an orange because it's smaller?
I wasn't meaning this to be a challenge to anyone; just throwing a little dig at LilFreak.