• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Isnt it about time for another empty holster protest on Campuses?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Isnt it about time for another empty holster protest on Campuses

I remember doing it last year, but i wasnt sure if it had a special date associated to it or not.

Why empty holster, unless you are a student or university employee?

Repeater

Federal court ruled ban is unconstitutional.

I thought some campus do not allow protests like empty holsters. IT displays "violence" :banghead::banghead:

The FIRE wrote about this:

Victory for Free Speech on Campus: Federal Court Strikes Down Gun Rights Protest Restrictions at Tarrant County College

[The] decision to prohibit students from protesting the status of the law and school policy on concealed firearms by wearing empty holsters to class rests on an "undifferentiated fear or apprehension of disturbance." See Tinker, 393 U.S. at 508. This, of course, "is not enough to overcome the right to freedom of expression." Id. "Much nondisruptive speech—such as the wearing of a T-shirt or button that contains a political message. . . is still protected speech even in a nonpublic forum." Bd. of Airport Comm'rs v. Jews for Jesus, Inc., 482 U.S. 569, 576 (1987). Controversial symbolic speech, with the potential to evoke a strong and possibly violent emotional response from those who see it has time and again been held protected, even in nonpublic forums, including the classroom. [Citations omitted; emphasis in bold added.]

t33j

Not sure what they're good for. I do it every day, but more as a matter of practicality than protest.

Last edited:

VApatriot

I am doing/plan to do three things to fight gun bans by colleges.

1. Wait for the Virginia Supreme Court to rule in the GMU case and hope that the ruling is favorable for all VA college students and staff.

2. Attend VCDL's Lobby Day on January 17th and lobby all members of the General Assembly to protect the rights of all Virginians, if the VASC has failed to do so.

3. Protest dangerous college policies by carry concealed while on campus, knowing that my right to self-defence trumps their "student code of conduct."